Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Sword of Truth Series (AKA RaistlinxTheMan luvluv)

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Yeah, the last episode was certainly a good episode for the series. I am also very happy the show actually did something interesting with Nicci's character -- it's different from her dramatic development in book 6, but it seems like it could be very interesting.
    Exactly. The part with Nicci going "I decide for myself, thanskverymuch!" was pretty cool - and as you said it could potentially become interesting.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, question about the latest episode. How is the Creator bit handled in the books?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It's not. Goodkind is a staunch atheist and it is revealed subtly in his writing: the main characters only pray to spirits (which do exist in the books and occasionally show up), and people who continually worship some unobservable "Creator" figure are mocked or viewed as religious kooks (Sisters of the Light, etc.). It is explicitly stated as early as the second book that neither Richard nor Zedd believe in a Creator in the personal god sense (Zedd considers it a metaphor for balance in the world of life or some such).

Maybe the TV show should continue to rip off entire books, because when they go off on their own it just gets worse. The show went from one of its strongest episodes to one of its weakest.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hate recap episodes. They're so boring.

It's not. Goodkind is a staunch atheist and it is revealed subtly in his writing: the main characters only pray to spirits (which do exist in the books and occasionally show up), and people who continually worship some unobservable "Creator" figure are mocked or viewed as religious kooks (Sisters of the Light, etc.). It is explicitly stated as early as the second book that neither Richard nor Zedd believe in a Creator in the personal god sense (Zedd considers it a metaphor for balance in the world of life or some such).
    That... makes no sense. In a Universe where there's magic and prophecies and spirits and a Keeper of the Underworld, why would the worshiping of a creator be mocked? A divine creator in that kind of world would make sense. Not really a subtle way of interjecting his own personal beliefs imho.

Blog Entries

Maybe the TV show should continue to rip off entire books, because when they go off on their own it just gets worse. The show went from one of its strongest episodes to one of its weakest.
    That's rather odd considering the type of show it is. I'm with Miriel, it would make perfect sense for their to be an actual Creator where they are fighting against the Keeper.

The episode was meh though.

It makes sense that people would interpret a distant and abstract god concept in different ways. I didn't think the people who followed The Creator more closely were mocked in the books by actual characters IN the books, but the writing did seem somewhat on the side of atheism.

Also.. in the show, things are very different from the books, which we already knew.

Agreed, clip shows are ridiculous and annoying.

recaps suck, on the whole I do like the series. creator/keeper dichotomy makes sense to me and the fact that they are at war/odds seems completely plausible. Living things fear death and I'll stop before I confuse myself. I haven't read all of the 2nd book because I may not like season 2 if I do, so I'm patiently waiting till the season ends book 1 was really good though. Often times in the books the characters go into there heads with the text, or off on their own. It's much more visually pleasing to have conversations and keep the characters grouped together. The I guess I'm saying the interactions makes the show, and In that case having all 3 people move off in different directions would be really hard to follow on the tv screen imo.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    That... makes no sense. In a Universe where there's magic and prophecies and spirits and a Keeper of the Underworld, why would the worshiping of a creator be mocked? A divine creator in that kind of world would make sense. Not really a subtle way of interjecting his own personal beliefs imho.
    I think I made my point too strongly. When I said "subtly," I meant <i>subtly</i>. The vast majority of people in the world believe in a Creator, and from purely anecdotal evidence of talking to people, the majority of readers think that a Creator exists in the world (though more of a clockmaker deistic type). The "mocking" is nothing more than a few instances throughout the series when a believer says something along the lines of "the Creator helped us" through a battle, and Kahlan/Cara/someone says "I did not see the Creator wielding a sword." The point is somewhat subtle, but I don't see any way around the conclusion that Goodkind did not intend there to be a Creator-personal-god, and that the main characters (Richard, Zedd, Kahlan, Cara, etc.) do not believe in one.

And it certainly makes sense. People in the books believe in magic and spirits because they see it with their own eyes every day. They don't see a Creator. Just because some supernatural things exist does not logically give them license to believe in anything and everything with no evidence.

Blog Entries

Is there not an actual Keeper in the books? o_O

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah, there is a Keeper. He orders his Sisters of the Dark and other agents/banelings around, though he does not have absolute control over the entire underworld like the TV show portrays.

Blog Entries

Well, it's kind of silly for their to be the Keeper and have people not believe in a literal Creator, is it not?

What's the deal with him in the books? Multiple overlords of the underworld?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

He is said to control death (the Sister of the Light say his presence causes death, but that may be metaphorical), but he only has absolute control over his own little corner of the underworld for people sworn to him and very bad people, like a Hell. Actually, that makes it sort of easier: think of the book-underworld as the entire spectrum of afterlife all together in one boundless infinity. Also, it's never explicitly stated how the Keeper started out. His influence on the world of life is also more limited. He can send some creatures occasionally, but "banelings" are just another term for people sworn to the Keeper; he does not send people back from death. Basically, the Keeper is much less personified in the books. He has his minions, but 95% of the time you don't actually see him giving any orders.

It's a little difficult to explain in a vacuum. It's very easy to understand once you've read just the first two books.

Blog Entries

Haha, k. That helps, I guess I'll just go browse Amazon for a bit.

This episode was amazingly awesome... best ever in my opinion. It was exactly what I thought the series would be all about which is great!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The last episode, aside from the CaraxKahlan interaction which was amaaaazing, was complete crap. Mummies? Seriously, mummies? Idiotic.

But how hot were Cara & Kahlan in the tomb? Answer, SO HOT!
    Last edited by Miriel; 04-11-2010 at 02:16 AM.