Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best & Worst (English) Voice-Acting

Default Best & Worst (English) Voice-Acting

1a. Which game do you think had the best VAs?
    1b. Which game do you think had the worst VAs?

2a. Which character(s) did you think had the best voice?
    2b. Which character(s) did you think have the worst voice?

I'm gonna throw out Kuja from Dissidia for 2b. I knew there was a reason I avoided that game and whea tI saw confirmed my instincts.

To me, the only character that had the worst voice acting is Kuja from Dissidia, and it wasn't just his voice that I don't like; the character as a whole was very annoying. As Tidus would put it in his opening quote to Kuja, "Every little thing about Kuja ticks me off!"

Other than that, I liked everyone else in all games. I especially enjoy Steve Burton as Cloud Strife.
    Is that your final answer?

I can't really think of any Final Fantasy game that had terrible voice acting so its hard to pick a worse. I suppose I'll pick X; nothing against X, but there were a few voices that irked me just a little. The prime examples are Seymour and Rikku, their voices bugged me a little, and it didn't help that I hate the characters themselves as well. However, there is some voicing I do like, Auron's voice was very fitting to the character and all around badass. I also like Wakka's despite his weird speech, it also helps that its the same guy who does Bender from futurama; and Lulu's was pretty good.

But all in all I have to say X was the one that I had the most problems with, but that doesn't mean I didn't think it was well done.

The best voicing in the series was XII by far. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see most of the people here pick XII. The voice acting was very professionally done, you can tell the actors cared about what they did and they sounded convincing in the game. It was also awesome to add different accents to the characters; also to give them different variations of the english language, and not just straight american english that you hear with most dubbing in games. They really went out on a limb to make sure the voicing in this game was quality stuff and it shows

Overall X had ok voice acting but there were tons of parts where is was horrific. For example, "lets laugh to not feel bad HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IM AN ORANGE GUY WITH BLONDE HAIR HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well you all know my opinon on FF RPGs having voices.

But I'd say the worst had to be Yuna - I like the character, but she had this weird "Americanese" acent going, which was kind of a bad choice on the actress' part, there's one scene where Yuna is blaming herself for something (a while since I played it) and she's all like; "Ahm Sohry! Ahm Soh Sohry!" - a bit too stereotypical...

Oh, and the Tidus laugh scene is supposed to be sarcastic. However, that doesn't stop it being torture for your eardrums.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

1a: FFXII. Incredible voice acting. No words can do it justice.
    1b: Have to go with FFX. But that' understandable, seeing as it's the first voiced FF.
    2a: Balthier & Fran. God, I could listen to those two day and night. Balthier's way of speech is so smooth and great to listen to, while Fran has one of the most incredible voices I have ever heard. And that accent...
    2b: I didn't like Rubicante's voice from FFIV DS. Although the voice-acting was OK in that game, he sounded terrible.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Compared to other games out there, FF voices are awesome so I cant complain here..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's tough because there's so few of them. I would say XII had the best and X had the worst, but I didn't have any problems with it.

The best voiced character might be Judge Magister Gabranth... Balthier and Ashe (don't hate me) come close though... no wait, all the judges were awesome.

Worst? Hmmmmm.... maybe Cid from FFVI: Dirge of Cerberus. Didn't they just make him some hick?

FF XII has had the best VA's of the console FF games, though even then there are better out there, and it's not really great.

FF X was pretty bad, but not terrible, (Outside of hahaha) againt here are plenty worse out there.

Dissidia ranged everywhere from atrocious to Pretty good, though overall it's probably the best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    FF X was pretty bad, but not terrible, (Outside of hahaha) againt here are plenty worse out there.
    I think I'm the only person on this forum that didn't have a problem with that incident. I mean, if someone walked in while I was playing it I would be pretty embarassed. But I think that was the point - it was in the moment and even the other party members looked at them like they were losing their smurfing minds. I don't know, I thought it was a funny part!

Must've been an awkward moment in the studio though.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Really, this is difficult to say actually as most of the games have pretty VA work, even X is mostly good with only a few key characters actually having annoying VA work (Yuna and Seymour).

XII is probably the best overall cause as Bolivar said Gabranth just has this awesome voice and the fact they added in the muffled voice to compensate for the helmets was just great as well as the sheer number of accents and dialects used to represent different places. From what I've heard of the original Japanese, I might actually say that the English version is overall superior.

Worst? Either Dissidia or the Compilation of VII. Half of Dissidia's VA is awesome and the other half is either acceptable or just atrocious... The Compilation also has some pretty bad choses when it comes to voice work as Bolivar pointed out with Cid suddenly becoming a southern hick... Steve Burton as Cloud is also hit or miss, in some titles he does a great job (Crisis Core/Kingdom Hearts) and other times he sounds like he's forced to be there and just phoned in his work (Dissidia).

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I think Lady Gaga should have voice acted for Yuna.

Zidane's voice in Dissidia is by far the most annoying voice i've ever heard. That little bastard should stop screeching whenever he hits a character. You sound like Pee-Wee Herman, Zidane.

I remember Eyes on FF doing a radio play (or at least started), and the guy they got for Zidane sounded really dreamy compared to that guy.
    俺は人間なのか?

Best voices I've concluded are:
    Vincent - Steven jay Blum mothersmurfers.
    Cecil - Yuri Lowenthal bitches.

Profanity is the only way to summarize their awesome.

Seriously though I love their work in general and they did a great job in FF.

Can I also just give an honorable mention to Seymour? It's true his voice was annoying as hell sometimes but in some scenes he just rocked I thought. like when he's run through by Kimahri.
    "Unpleasant."
    YouTube - Final Fantasy X Playthrough (107) Before Seymour Natus

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seymour's voice bugs me cause he always sounds like he's doing a Steven Segal impression which makes all his dialogue unintentionally more funny than they should, not to mention his god awful character design.

As for Cecil's, I will agree for the DS version of FFIV but he comes off a bit too emotional in Dissidia and half the time I felt like he sounded less like the Cecil from FFVI DS and more like Sasuke from Naruto.

Speaking of VA's who did bad in one performance and then rock in another is Hedy Burress better known as Yuna from X but also plays Agrias Oaks in FFTactics:WotL. I feel she did a poor job with Yuna cause she tried to hard to sound like the original Japanese which doesn't work in the English language as it comes off monotone and unemotional or scatterbrained as well. Yet her VA work as Agrias is so damn good I was literally floored that it was actually her.