Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Encounter with... WARMECH!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's not possible to fight more than one at a time.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Yeah, I agree with theundeadhero as long as you're not messing with the game. I always thought Warmech was a fixed battle.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    Of course it is. Why do you think when you only fight one, it appears in a fixed corner [as to be able to fit exactly 4 in two rows of two] as opposed to the exact centre, like a normal "one at a time only" monster would appear [ie. something like Garland appearing in the middle even though his sprite is small as shown here]? I've seen this happen myself though, which I described earlier, yet you claim that it isn't possible. I feel like you're trying to insinuate that I'm a liar.
    Quote Originally Posted by MedctnStn View Post
    I've played this game quite a lot in the past and have never come acroos this. I'd really love to see a legit screenshot of this if it has ever happened

Don't laugh at my character names, I had to think of names with only 4 letters maximum to work with.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I wonder what the developers were thinking when they decided to throw in a random chance for four of them to appear at a time. Putting just one in is already kind of a cruel joke.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I wonder what the developers were thinking when they decided to throw in a random chance for four of them to appear at a time. Putting just one in is already kind of a cruel joke.
    I have no clue, and practically any party at that stage in the game will not be able to defeat 4 of them at a time, or even stand a chance [obviously, since we've already agreed that most parties at that point will struggle with just one]. I was considering making a party specially designed for fighting 4 WarMECHS someday and just staying there all day waiting for them to show up, but that would be a long effort, and I would have to get extremely lucky and pray they don't all sit and spam Nuclear simultaneously. This is aside from the fact that I would have to actually encounter 4 of them in the same battle, which alone would be quite a feat. However, I'm sure it can be done though. If it ever happens, I'll be sure to youtube it or something.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course it is. Why do you think when you only fight one, it appears in a fixed corner [as to be able to fit exactly 4 in two rows of two] as opposed to the exact centre, like a normal "one at a time only" monster would appear [ie. something like Garland appearing in the middle even though his sprite is small as shown here]?
    Size doesn't matter. You could fit four of any of the fiends into a combat screen but it's only possible to fight one at a time.

That picture means nothing. To whoever made it~ I can edit them too:

Fake

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

I never played through the entire NES version of Final Fantasy, but a quick search reveals that others talk about a four Warmech encounter. Why not verify it through the game's coding? The game is old and its programming has been dissected, surely.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

That picture means nothing. To whoever made it~ I can edit them too:
    Don't feign ignorance by hiding behind "to whoever made it~". I plainly said that I took the screenshot myself, and it isn't edited.

Proof? I explained my personal encounters with this and I showed a screenshot doing so, and I also explained some reasoning behind the size and positioning of the WarMECH sprite. I feel like your counter to my statement is "it's not possible".

Size doesn't matter. You could fit four of any of the fiends into a combat screen
    Really?

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

Attempt 3:

Attempt 4:

As you can see [with all due respect], even if I noticeably overlap their sprites onto each other, they still can't fit into the box. And for the record, this game does not overlap monster sprites under any circumstance the way I just did in these screenshots to test the validity of your statement, so they would actually be going much further off the monster box than that.

As I said before, all monsters that you can only fight "one at a time only", will be placed in the centre of the screen as I have shown with Garland in this example, as well as any of the other four fiends as shown in this, this, this, and this example. Monsters that can be fought in numbers greater than 1, will appear in positions specifically designed to allow other monsters to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I never played through the entire NES version of Final Fantasy, but a quick search reveals that others talk about a four Warmech encounter.
    ^ This.

Why not verify it through the game's coding?
    ^ This too. I'd like to see you come up with actual proof aside from "that's not possible". I'm not trying to antagonize you here as I said, but I feel pretty insulted that you're trying to accuse me of photoshopping something, just because I offered some proof aside from describing my personal experience, and explaining some reasoning and rational explanation of their obvious and patterned sprite designs/positioning. Honestly, why would I waltz in and randomly make something like this up? People here that know me well should know that I don't go around spouting a bunch of fake nonsense in random video game discussions.

Roogle, I'm actually considering doing it for myself, but I'm not sure where to start. How would I go about checking the coding in the game to find this?

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I'm certain I've never seen an encounter with any more than one WarMECH at a time. I'm also fairly sure that WarMECH can only be found in one "tile" position. Just speaking from the experience I have from playing the game, I seem to remember most encounters similar to that one have a specific "troop" list of enemies. I like Roogle's idea of finding the proof, though. Personally, I'm intrigued now to see whether or not a throng of WarMECHs can indeed be legitimately encountered.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Warmech is battle 0x56(a), only shows up on Sky Castle 5F, and there's only one of him. No battle in the game has more than one Warmech at a time.

Random encounters in the NES version aren't very random; they're read from a fixed table. You're guaranteed to find Warmech after 129 or fewer battles in a row as long as you don't turn the NES off. Usually fewer, depends mostly where in the encounter table you are when you start counting.

The NES version of this game has been thoroughly dissected. See any FAQ about FF1 battle mechanics, e.g. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/522595/57009. Or find a ROM and check using FFHackster (http://disch.zophar.net/ffhackster.php). The screenshot is fake or from a hacked ROM.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

I know that the screenshot itself is not fake. I would like to know if there are any popular difficulty hacks that might have added a four Warmech encounter as I see it talked about in other places. Remember, many hacks only change statistics and values in the ROM and leave the rest untouched, so it's easy to forget that you're playing one in the first place —
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I know that the screenshot itself is not fake.
    Yes, I remember when you and I talked about my four WarMECH encounter a while back, too. I'll concede that I may have been using a hacked ROM, but I find someone else's notion of me making something like this up for laughs or something to be highly insulting. I never found the notion of 4 WarMECHs to be all that unbelievable anyways, and I've heard/read other people mentioning this happening to them.

I would like to know if there are any popular difficulty hacks that might have added a four Warmech encounter as I see it talked about in other places.
    Yes, and the thing is a few other people I've talked to have mentioned 4 WarMECH encounters as well. I'm still having a difficult time accepting the fact that I was probably using a hacked ROM, but that's fine I guess. I swear up and down that my ROM was normal though, I know I got it from some standard NES ROM site.

So if I dug up my old ROM, then I can use this FFHackster thing to look at it? Also, would it be against the rules to post it here?

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for looking into it for my GodUnne.

Yes, I remember when you and I talked about my four WarMECH encounter a while back, too. I'll concede that I may have been using a hacked ROM, but I find someone else's notion of me making something like this up for laughs or something to be highly insulting. I never found the notion of 4 WarMECHs to be all that unbelievable anyways, and I've heard/read other people mentioning this happening to them.
    If you had known it was a different version of the rom and mentioned it I would have let it go, but as it was we were all talking about the original game and I find it important to prevent the spread of wrong information. Don't take it so personal.

If you had known it was a different version of the rom and mentioned it I would have let it go
    I had no idea. I'm still finding it a little hard to believe that I was playing a different version to be honest with you, I don't really recall any such detail that made it feel any different from the original game... oh well. I do want to know if I'm allowed to post the ROM I was using if I ever find it, just so you guys know this wasn't the right side of my brain talking here.