Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Encounter with... WARMECH!

Default My First Encounter with... WARMECH!

I'm not one to level like crazy. I'm only on 19 across the board. Red Wizard, Black Wizard, Black Wizard, Black Wizard. RW has the Opal bracelet, I think everyone else is sporting Gold.

I've been playing this game since I was a young kid on NES. I've always known about WM, but nothing more than he was a super-hard monster somewhere in the game. I had a Nintendo Power poster with all the monster's stats.

Well, about two hours ago, I walked across the bridge like I owned the place... And Warmech pounced me. I was like, "You're kidding. Warmech?! No way!"

I expected to get killed. I was only about 3/4 correct. I chose to run with everyone, he chose to nuke me. Killed the bottom two BW's, sent my RW to single-digit HP. Surprisingly, my second only had half his hitpoints fried off his bones.

One of them made the "close call" in the second round before WM's turn. I didn't think you could run from him, but we did. I cast Life1 on the dead guys, drank about 50 Heal potions, and destroyed Tiamat with the Bane sword.

Someday, I'll go back and face him. But, not tonight!!!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If I remember, he appears randomly. You might not have the luck later.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember the first time I ran into Warmech on the NES version, I was not prepared and I barely survived with only two party members left. I escaped to the outside, using up all my potions to keep my remaining party members alive, because I wanted to save (as if saving would commemorate the victory). I got outside but was out of houses somehow, so I could not heal any more or save. All I could do was head back to town. I was three steps from my airship at the edge of the desert when two ankylos attacked and killed me off.

Fought him again last night. All my guys are around level 26. Figured with 3 nukes/round I would put him away. Pfft. Trouble is, Warmech went first in the first round and killed one BW on sight. One of the remaining BW's nukes failed to do anything impressive, like ~100 damage or whatever. It was a slaughter.

Funny thing is, I met him about half way across the bride on my first pas north. That's 2/2 times I've met him crossing the bridge!

Cool.

I might be willing to do a solo RW. But, I hate leveling, so I don't think I would enjoy doing a solo quest. Still, it's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I might be willing to do a solo RW. But, I hate leveling
    With only one character, leveling is quite fast.

You can't level more than once per fight, though, right? What happens when you kill WM with one guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    You can't level more than once per fight, though, right? What happens when you kill WM with one guy?
    Same thing that happens when you kill him with any other amount of guys--nothing.

I've faced him, and beat him. He wasn't that impressive to me. I guess he took it easy on me

I managed to beat him with LV30 characters a few months ago, with the party Knight/Ninja/White Wizard/Black Wizard.
    My strategy was to focus on preparing my party the first round, so I threw INV2 and FAST and whatnot, and the White Wizard used HEL3;
    then I spammed physical attacks and NUKE while the White Wizard kept focusing on healing.

It was easier than I thought, I managed to beat him in a few rounds, but I did get several characters in the near-death condition.
    Last edited by *Laurelindo*; 01-06-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    From what I understand, he has a 1.5625% chance of appearing on Tiamat's floor, and he doesn't appear anywhere else. If you're "lucky", you'll only encounter 1 Warmech. However, it's possible to encounter 4 of them in the same battle, which is easily the most difficult battle in the game. Keep in mind that even just 1 Warmech can easily wipe most any party at that stage in the game [I'm not counting people that over-level their party].

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post
    it's possible to encounter 4 of them in the same battle, which is easily the most difficult battle in the game.
    I've played this game quite a lot in the past and have never come acroos this. I'd really love to see a legit screenshot of this if it has ever happened

Quote Originally Posted by MedctnStn View Post
    I've played this game quite a lot in the past and have never come acroos this. I'd really love to see a legit screenshot of this if it has ever happened
    Hm, it's actually happened to me twice. The first time this happened, I had run into them by accident and was destroyed because I was caught off-guard. After that, I was pretty dead-set on a rematch. I was wandering around, waiting for a fight with Warmechs to trigger because I wanted to fight one. However, instead of one, I got four, and I just thought to myself "4 of them? really?" and failed to get a "Close Call", and died. I think it happened one 1-2 other occasions, but that's all I can really remember.

I did take a screenshot of this at some point on my NES emulator several years later. I'll see if I can dig it up later and post it.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    However, it's possible to encounter 4 of them in the same battle,
    That sounds like it's the original Mega-ten moment