• Mistake

7 77.78%
  • Cheat

2 22.22%

Thread: Was this a mistake or was it intentional

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Was this a mistake or was it intentional

If you have a W-Item Materia, you can go into battle, select an item, select it again, cancel and its quantity will increase - you can get up to 99 of that item by doing this. (you need atleast two to begin with)

Was this done deleberatly as a little cheat for the gamers? Or did they the mess up the programming?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It's a well-known glitch, so I seriously doubt it was deliberate. I've actually heard of more complicated ways the W-Item materia can be used to duplicate any items in your inventory (it was mentioned in a thread in this forum relatively recently).

Banned

Yeah, it was a glitch that people have been taking advantage of for years.

I seriously doubt the developers ever wanted the player to have 99 megalixers.

I am not so sure....but I would say yes it is a mistake, and hopefully one that will be corrected by some at Qhimm forum.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

That looks to be a bug. I actually accidently recreated it in Java a month ago on a homework assignment, so I expect it was a similar mistake in the game. (well not exactly the same, but the same idea)

It seems to be a glitch, except for the fact that the PC release (which did do some clean-up on the game, and some of the game programming), left the W-Item glitch alone, even though it was very well known when the PC version was made.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most of the earlier FF titles have a similar glitch and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a glitch that the programmers accidentally created but left it in as easy cheat. I'd almost say its a tradition to have an item duplication bug.

Articles
    Blog Entries

i am sure that it was a mistake. i think you could cheat yourself full MP with W-Magic if the MP were instantly drained from the char when being ordered to cast.

it just seems to be like: "oh, you've pressed cancel. so i gotta give those items back to you." the game just forgets in W-categories, that the player is still in a sub-menu after cancelling. same like when you use W-Item to use an item on an enemy and cancel the menu without using a second item: you lose 1 charge.

i gotta test whether this works in W-Summon too^^

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Most of the earlier FF titles have a similar glitch and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a glitch that the programmers accidentally created but left it in as easy cheat. I'd almost say its a tradition to have an item duplication bug.
    Yeah, like in the first Diablo game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Can you tell me how to do it in FFI? It's hard.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Forget the Megalixirs, I'm looking at you, Hero Drink!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Forget the Megalixirs, I'm looking at you, Hero Drink!
    Forget Hero Drink. The #1 use of this is Elixirs for Magic Pot AP Training.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I only ever used the glitch to replicate the best greens for chocobo breeding because I didn't feel like artificially extending the game for a few hours to get the gil required in order to keep on buying the greens.