Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Golbez and Jecht...but NOT Seifer?

Default Why Golbez and Jecht...but NOT Seifer?

It's pretty much the exact same thing.

Zermus controlled Golbez, Yevon controlled Jecht, ultimecia controlled Seifer.
    The "main villains" had pretty much no interaction or relation with the heroes while these three had close personal connections to them.

It just seems like a no-brainer.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Because playing as Ultimecia is fun

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Becuase the game already had a Gunblade user and SE was afraid Seifer would play too much like Squall, that's the actual reason they gave but he was actually their first choice until someone on the team mentioned the problem. Technically, if you pay attention to Squall's animation for his attacks he actually uses it one handed like Seifer.

The list of character who didn't make it but were actually considered are: Kain Highwind, Locke Cole, Seifer Almasy, Yuna, Seymour Guado, Prishe, Vaan, Balthier, and Lightning.

Here are the reasons stated:

Kain Highwind - Not really a villain and they felt Golbez would work better from a story standpoint. As a nod to him, Cecil has moves designed to emulate Kain

Locke Cole - Terra is actually Nomura's favorite character and they wanted a female on the Heroes side. The main reason was because Terra had a stronger connection to Kefka than Locke.

Seifer Almasy - Too similar to Squall, like Kain/Cecil, Squall has moves where he fight one handed like Seifer.

Yuna - Because Seymour wasn't chosen as the villain and they felt Tidus was more of the lead hero.

Seymour Guado - Cause he doesn't have any real relationship with Tidus, Yuna then began to be considered as the new hero but they stuck to their guns and kept Tidus the lead.

Prishe - was the original character chosen to represent XI but was scrapped for Shantotto, though no official reason has been given why Shantotto was chosen instead, most fans theorize its because the Tarutaru are the more recognizable race in the XI universe.

Vaan - No reason is given except that he was apparently rejected by the staff in favor of the other candidates. Funny enough, Penelo makes a mention of this in the Battle Tip section.

Balthier - Passed over because he had already appeared as a guest character in Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.

Lightning - The team decided that they didn't want to release info on a character before her game hit shelves.

Interesting. Where's this said? I believe you; I'm just curious.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some of it is from the Ultimania but I got most of my info from Final Fantasy Wiki

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Im still missing Vaan but SE made the right choices..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Seifer was a recurring mini-boss at best. That's like asking for Gilgamesh instead of Exdeath. It just feels weird.

And I wish Locke was in Dissidia. Terra bugs me to no end.

Golbec was just a mini-boss too.

I think Seymour should have made it. It's kinda hard to work with Zemus, because we don't get much interaction with Zemus in person before he becomes Zeromus. I didn't care for Sefier or Ultimecia so I don't dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    Seifer was a recurring mini-boss at best. That's like asking for Gilgamesh instead of Exdeath. It just feels weird.

Seifer was the secondary villain of VIII, much like Seymour was the secondary villain of X, the Turks were the secondary villains of VII, Beatrix was the secondary villain of IX (debatable, but she comes the closest, even though she's also a good guy), and, yes, Gilgamesh was the secondary villain of V.

These characters show up in pretty much every FF game, they have quite a bit of plot behind them, and would certainly be my first choice for new villains for a second Dissidia game (except Seymour, 'cause, you know, he's a terrible character who should never have existed).

And you lose points for failing to see just how awesome having Gilgamesh in this game would be.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Golbec was just a mini-boss too.
    Golbez is the driving force behind most of the plot until Zemus gets the big reveal, at least we leaned of Ultimecia's existence by the beginning of the third disc as opposed to before the second to last dungeon. Seifer on the other hand basically becomes the Sorceress' flunky and seems pretty content with it.

Gilgamesh as a hidden boss would be awesome, though it would really suck if they let him keep his Blue Magic...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Seifer was the secondary villain of VIII, much like Seymour was the secondary villain of X, the Turks were the secondary villains of VII, Beatrix was the secondary villain of IX (debatable, but she comes the closest, even though she's also a good guy), and, yes, Gilgamesh was the secondary villain of V.
    And all these characters would feel WEIRD to me in lieu of the choices they made. If it were up to me, the only change on the villain's side would be Xande in place of CoD, but that's personal preference. But I suppose the ones you listed would make good villains for a potential sequel. Though I hope they don't feel the need to trash the entire current roster. I really like a few of the characters on it.

And for the record, I think Gilgamesh should have been a hidden character, if anything, not the main antagonist.

Besides, what did Seymour even DO? Besides making you go through a few extra dungeons, he had almost no lasting impact on... anything. Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever? Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever.

Oh, and Golbec made me laugh really hard for some odd reason. Don't ask.

And all these characters would feel WEIRD to me in lieu of the choices they made. If it were up to me, the only change on the villain's side would be Xande in place of CoD, but that's personal preference. But I suppose the ones you listed would make good villains for a potential sequel. Though I hope they don't feel the need to trash the entire current roster. I really like a few of the characters on it.

And for the record, I think Gilgamesh should have been a hidden character, if anything, not the main antagonist.

Besides, what did Seymour even DO? Besides making you go through a few extra dungeons, he had almost no lasting impact on... anything. Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever? Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever.

Oh, and Golbec made me laugh really hard for some odd reason. Don't ask.
    I was merely pointing out that Seifer was not "just a recurring boss". Biggs and Wedge, they were closer to filling that role.

Jecht was always the main villain of X. Jecht was Sin, and Sin was your objective from the time you started the game. He's the big threat there, he's the one you are out to eliminate. Destroying Yu-Yevon was just tying up loose ends.

Golbez was the main villain of IV for a long time, as Wolf pointed out. Certainly as much as Kuja was (after all, while Golbez was just being manipulated by Zemus, Kuja was just being used by Garland). Kain is the one I'd call the secondary villain of IV, though he too switches sides eventually.

The secondary villains should be added to the cast if they decide to make a sequel, but, no, they should not have replaced the choices they made, which were awesome.

And, yes, Seymour sucks. Badly.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

The secondary villains should be added to the cast if they decide to make a sequel, but, no, they should not have replaced the choices they made, which were awesome.

Doesn't matter. Yuna was the real hero(ine) of FFX and much, much cooler than Tidus. Imagine how much more playable she'd be. (Alternate costume gunner, amirite). Also, another girl on the side of Cosmos would have helped.
    俺は人間なのか?

Quote Originally Posted by Barraza View Post

Doesn't matter. Yuna was the real hero(ine) of FFX and much, much cooler than Tidus. Imagine how much more playable she'd be. (Alternate costume gunner, amirite). Also, another girl on the side of Cosmos would have helped.
    Auron was the true hero of FFX, not Yuna. It may have been Yuna's pilgrimage, but Auron was the primary driving force behind much of the game's story. He's responsible not only for bringing Tidus to Spira, but for shaping the pilgrimage along it's course to bring an end to the spiral, to avenge Braska and Jecht and fulfill his promises.