Thread: Ahhh!! Attack of the "M's"!!!

Ahhh!! Attack of the "M's"!!!

Okie. This is nuts.
    My desktop has been attacked by M's.
    Does anyone know the Microsoft Money Icon? It's a little blue M in a circle with a little bar graph behind it.
    Well, one day when I booted up my computer, they were everyone. Every icon, with a few exceptions, was covered with the Microsoft Money Icon. It hasn't been replaced, you can see the old icon underneath the Money one, but there are M's everywhere!
    The weirder part? I don't have Microsoft money installed. My dad tried to remove Microsoft money and it tried to install it. Finally I was able to remove it (although it wasn't installed....) but the M's remained. Whenever I create a new icon or delete and re-create on, the M accompanies. The few escapees are the Internet explorer icon, the few that come with computer (my computer, recycle bin, etc...) and folder files.

What the heck?? WHY THE M'S!! HELP!!!
    Before they come for YOU!!!

"Love is the triumph of Imagination over Intelligence."

Your worst wet nightmare Recognized Member Squally Leonharty's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former Help Forum

Hmm, that's pretty weird. Anyway, go to Start -> Run -> msconfig -> Startup tab -> Uncheck anything related to M-money. -> Restart your computer.

Hmm,
    tried it. No such luck. Thanks anyway Squally.

Gatekeeper of Strong Wind syun_ukiya's Avatar

Is this some kind of bug? I think this happend to me once almost all the icons changed to something calle "snsrnj" and I didn't do anything on my PC it's just happend like that? So am I hacked or I got my PC infected with virus. Anyways I had my PC reinstall Windows M.E. again:o

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It sounds like your icon cache is messed up.

Look in the C:\Windows folder, and delete a file called "ShellIconCache" (should have no extension). You may need to reboot into MS-DOS to do it if it's protected by Windows. Also, it's a hidden file so you need to enable viewing of hidden files in Explorer if you can't see it. Ask if you don't know how
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

You sould not try to fight big M, he will strike back anyway. Do as Cl said and lets home it works!

Yay!!
    It worked! The M's have retreated!
    *hugs crono_logic*
    Thank you!!
    Although I can't get over how my dad acts like he knew that the whole time... *rolls eyes*
    But thanks again!!