Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hero or Villain?

Default Hero or Villain?

I've noticed gaming, for better or worse, stars a lot of characters who really blur the line between a good guy and a bad guy.

This is a thread for discussing which characters you think are what.

I am pretty sure this could be interesting if we find enough fans of the same series but with differing views.

I'll start with a couple characters whom await your judgment:
    Kain

and

Krelian

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

yusuf amir
    badass or badass nigga gangsta

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

an⋅ti⋅he⋅ro
    –noun
    a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose, and the like.

No need to say 'this guy is a hero' or 'this guy is a villain' when there is already a word to describe such cases.

Could still make for interesting discussion, I suppose.

Articles
    Blog Entries

JKTrix, you're no fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Kain
    I haven't played Defiance in years (actually i think i re-played the beginning last year) but I think Kain was just a guy who got put into a smurfed up situation, he didn't necessarily ask to be a vampire, or a chosen-one vampire at that, but at the end of the day the world would have been much worse without his decisions. Kind of like Paul Muad'Dib.

My input:

I don't remember either of them very much I recall thinking the "villain" of Final Fantasy XII was not just I'm-evil-lol. He had some other intentions going on.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Best example:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Cammy HUh?

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Lol..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Cammy HUh?
    It's fun to see how your pool of gaming experience shapes your comments and opinions sometimes, but this is one time that I can understand. Generic-looking blonde characters are a dime a dozen.

That character is Jowy from Suikoden 2, a guy.

I don't want to dig up a picture, and to even mention his name will be a massive spoiler of the games. It's from the Xenosaga Series. (SPOILER)Wilhelm. He spends the whole game manipulating people, causing untold suffering to others. Though in the end you find out why it is he does it, it's his attempt to stop the world from ending. Mind you, this is by basically pushing the restart button over, and over again, all before the world can end, but regardless, his goal truly was noble, if not a bit misguided.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Cammy?!? Jowy is a man's man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    JKTrix, you're no fun!!!

Kain
    I haven't played Defiance in years (actually i think i re-played the beginning last year) but I think Kain was just a guy who got put into a smurfed up situation, he didn't necessarily ask to be a vampire, or a chosen-one vampire at that, but at the end of the day the world would have been much worse without his decisions. Kind of like Paul Muad'Dib.
    That's my opinion as well. Hoorayf or agreement!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I don't want to dig up a picture, and to even mention his name will be a massive spoiler of the games. It's from the Xenosaga Series. (SPOILER)Wilhelm. He spends the whole game manipulating people, causing untold suffering to others. Though in the end you find out why it is he does it, it's his attempt to stop the world from ending. Mind you, this is by basically pushing the restart button over, and over again, all before the world can end, but regardless, his goal truly was noble, if not a bit misguided.
    Ehhhh
    (SPOILER)Wilhelm is an odd case. I loathe what he does to Margulis. He's also probably responsible for the deahs of hundreds of thousands or millions of people.
    Of course, as you said, this was to preserve the universe and the lives of billions of people along with existence itself.
    His whole anti-human speeches can be seen as him "playing the villain" like he mtniosn in Episode II.
    Shion and the Database also speculate Wilhelm wanted someone to reject his way of doing things and find another path to salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    JKTrix, you're no fun!!!

Kain
    That's my opinion as well. Hoorayf or agreement!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Ehhhh
    (SPOILER)Wilhelm is an odd case. I loathe what he does to Margulis. He's also probably responsible for the deahs of hundreds of thousands or millions of people.
    Of course, as you said, this was to preserve the universe and the lives of billions of people along with existence itself.
    His whole anti-human speeches can be seen as him "playing the villain" like he mtniosn in Episode II.
    Shion and the Database also speculate Wilhelm wanted someone to reject his way of doing things and find another path to salvation.
    (SPOILER)His desire to want someone to find another way is another reason I see him as an excelent example for this thread. He himself is doing this the only way he knows how, and is probably more then aware of what exactly his plans mean will happen, and is also aware that it isn't an Ideal situation, but its the best he can do. This realization tells me he truly does want whats best for all humanity.

JOWY WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

So was Delita from FFT

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Can we, y'know, not quote the same large picture in every post? Kthx.

Kyros: Delita is indeed another good example.