Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Games

Favorites : Capcom vs SNK 2(by far), SFII HD Remix, and currently Street Fighter IV. CvS2 is probably the best 'Alpha' game out there so if you are into that you should give it a shot. And if you are obsessed with parries, theres P Groove in the game that allows it.

=========

There was a third Daigo vs Justin this year at Season's Beatings with Daigo taking it yet again. Guy is literally The Beast.

As for the SFIV TE stick, its def worth a buy. My friend has it, and it has some really good authentic Sanwa parts. The insides is also extremely easy to mod/replace parts as well. I have not bought the Round 2 sticks though, but the Round 1 ones are definitely top grade and won't let you down.

Having said that, it is very sensitive, the buttons and stick so you have to be a lil more precise. Not that its bad, but some people prefer American Sticks because they have more strong motions. So consider that too.

For online play i would recommend googling up GGPO...and in case you are wondering about a gaming peripheral for your PC, the SFIV TE sticks for both PS3/Xbox360 work on PC. The netcode is top notch and free to play.

VF also has the best Tutorial imo...they need that in SFIV or hell any fighting game...

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    There was a third Daigo vs Justin this year at Season's Beatings with Daigo taking it yet again. Guy is literally The Beast.
    From the way David Sirlin describes Daigo, I'm not surprised he would take it. The man sounds utterly insane, and certainly looks it from the videos I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx
    As for the SFIV TE stick, its def worth a buy. My friend has it, and it has some really good authentic Sanwa parts. The insides is also extremely easy to mod/replace parts as well. I have not bought the Round 2 sticks though, but the Round 1 ones are definitely top grade and won't let you down.
    I picked up one of the round 2 sticks two days ago after reading that they are literally the same stick just different artwork, and it was $2 cheaper. I wasn't too particular about which I went with artwork wise so why not save a whole $2?

Anyway, I'm loving the thing. It's taking a bit of getting used to since I've never used an Arcade stick extensively before, but after one run through arcade mode in SF2 HD Remix I was pulling off moves almost as well as I had with the gamepad, blocking better than I ever have, and even pulling off a crazy comeback that was part luck, part faster reactions thanks to the responsiveness of the stick. I swear I will never use a regular controller for a fighting game again if I have a choice.

For online play i would recommend googling up GGPO...and in case you are wondering about a gaming peripheral for your PC, the SFIV TE sticks for both PS3/Xbox360 work on PC. The netcode is top notch and free to play.
    Unfortunately, the TE only works on PC's with an Intel chipset and mine has an Nvidia chipset. Something to do with how they handled USB in the stick itself. I'll try it to confirm, but I may not be able to use it on my PC. WOn't be a problem forever though if I build a new PC in a year or two which I'd like.

VF also has the best Tutorial imo...they need that in SFIV or hell any fighting game...
    Couldn't agree more. The tutorials in most fighting games are lackluster at best. There's more to learning a game than just learning the special moves.

Unfortunately, the TE only works on PC's with an Intel chipset and mine has an Nvidia chipset. Something to do with how they handled USB in the stick itself. I'll try it to confirm, but I may not be able to use it on my PC. WOn't be a problem forever though if I build a new PC in a year or two which I'd like.
    Hmm i don't know why it wouldn't work. Just the other day my friend's TE stick (Xbox360) plugged into my laptop to play SFIV on the PC. I also use Nvidia for my gfx card and it worked perfectly fine. I even use a PS3 Hori stick on my PC regularly just fine...so it should work.

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmm i don't know why it wouldn't work. Just the other day my friend's TE stick (Xbox360) plugged into my laptop to play SFIV on the PC. I also use Nvidia for my gfx card and it worked perfectly fine. I even use a PS3 Hori stick on my PC regularly just fine...so it should work.
    It's not the Graphics card that's the issue but the Motherboard chip set and the USB standard that each company uses. The PS3 stick uses a standard that is proprietary to Intel which is why it won't work unless you have an Intel motherboard. Like I said, I'll double check it to make sure eventually, but I don't expect anything. It's unlikely I'd be using anything but an Intel motherboard in my next PC build though so in a year or two I wouldn't have any problems using it.

A work around (of sorts) would be to buy a Pci card with USB slots that is known to be compatible, but I have no room left on my motherboard, and wouldn't want to bother spending the money on what I know will be a temporary problem at worst.

I'm still not seeing anything attractive about SF4 =/

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What is it about SF4 exactly that you don't like?

It just seems boring compared to pretty much every other fighter I play, and when I watch high end play idk why I'm supposed to be impressed. The pace feels so much slower to me even though the matches may sometimes be over faster.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Doesn't seem like much detailed reasoning. I have some animosity towards it too, but I won't go in depth unless asked. my connection is better now so I can play online pretty well now. So if anyone wants to play me on SFIV or Tekken 6 I'm up for it.

I see slow and boring as reason enough to not care for a game =/

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Doesn't seem like much detailed reasoning. I have some animosity towards it too, but I won't go in depth unless asked. my connection is better now so I can play online pretty well now. So if anyone wants to play me on SFIV or Tekken 6 I'm up for it.
    It may not be detailed reasoning, but the feel of the game (speed, physics, etc.) has changed from previous titles. He may not be able to put his finger on it, but that alone might be why he doesn't like it. By the same token I've never liked Tekken. It's been a while since I played one now but I just never liked the way combat felt or how the characters moved and attacked. I might be better able to put my finger on exactly what it is that bothers me know and why if I spent a good deal of time with one, but I just can't get into them enough to bother.

Now that I plan on playing more SF4 though, feel free to hit me up for some matches if you catch me on. Even if I'm playing another game I'll probably switch over if you message me. I still suck, and probably will for a while longer just yet, but that doesn't mean we can't have some friendly bouts.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I haven't played in a while either so I'm sucky now too.

Vivi22 i doubt it but you play it on PC? XD;

and maybe Kyros, you are into more combo based games like Guilty Gear or BlazBlue...? Not everyone is into the more simple playstyle of SFIV.

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry Lionx but I do my SF4 gaming on the PS3. It's a shame so few people from EOFF have one because I love playing with the people here.

If you happen to play PC titles other than SF4 though (and use Steam) then you can go ahead and add me.

Vivi22 i doubt it but you play it on PC? XD;

and maybe Kyros, you are into more combo based games like Guilty Gear or BlazBlue...? Not everyone is into the more simple playstyle of SFIV.
    I like those and 3d fighters, but I liked 3rd strike A LOT too. Capcom vs SNK 2 is awesome too. SF4 was a pretty big downgrade imo so I was looking forward to the new KoF in hopes it'd be good till I watched my friend play it for 30 mins the day it came out then returned it b/c it sucked hard =/

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
    I like those and 3d fighters, but I liked 3rd strike A LOT too. Capcom vs SNK 2 is awesome too. SF4 was a pretty big downgrade imo so I was looking forward to the new KoF in hopes it'd be good till I watched my friend play it for 30 mins the day it came out then returned it b/c it sucked hard =/
    SFIV was more of an attempt to build on SF2's gameplay than SF3 which is probably why it feels like a downgrade coming from SF3. It's a fair enough opinion as it is simplified in that sense, but I think it's still got a fair bit of strategic possibilities to it though.

And after playing some SFIV and SF2 HD Remix today I'm not only wondering why I stopped playing them in the first place, but also if it's just me or if there is a big difference in the skill level of players online for each? I played several matches in SFIV over the course of the day online and won all but two I believe (lost one to Depression Moon. Had a lot of fun by the way, so we'll have to play more sometime when I'm not packing to move in two days. ), but in three or four matches of HD Remix I won maybe a round each time in a best of three. I was literally getting decimated most of the time, even though I think I was adapting as well as I could without more practice.

Still, I'm loving both games again and can't wait for Super SFIV in a few months even if I do have to buy a whole new game for it. The new stick is still working out great too. I'm pulling off more consistent shoryukens with Ryu now, though I still miss them here and there. I think I'll have to start learning some new fighters though, because I'd hate to just play Ryu all of the time.