Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Games

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Fighting Games

So it's been over two years since I made a thread and figured I might as well start another.

I've liked fighting games for years but was always more of a 3D fighter fan. In the last year or so though I've been getting more and more interested in 2D fighters, and studying how they're balanced has become a bit of a recent obsession.

So, since the only 2D fighters I've played in the last six or seven years are Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, and Street Fighter 4, I'm looking for some recommendations for some good fighters to check out in within the next few months so I can learn them and how they're balanced.

PS2, PS3 and PSP would be preferred as I'd have a better chance of finding titles for those. I'm already getting Blazblue for Christmas, and I won't bother with Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the PSN since I've had it for the Dreamcast since release (and already realize that it's not only terribly balanced in a lot of ways, but is nothing short of a miracle for being as balanced as it is). Any other titles are fair game though. I've been giving some thought to the Street Fighter Alpha series since they're on the PSN now for the most part, and Guilty Gear XX is up there on my list, but I'm unsure of which version I should get.

Also, just feel free to chat about fighting games in general because they are quite awesome. Sadly my Street Fighter 4 game pad has apparently died today. I think I'll replace it with a full Arcade stick soon if I can.

Blazblu is easily my favorite 2D fighter. It may have a relatively small roster of characters, 13, they are all so fun to play as. The animation is smooth, and it has probably the best story of any fighting game I've played.

My favorite character is easily Rachel. Much love for Henry XIII. <3 (I think that was her frogs name. )

Banned

I'm quite hooked on Soul Calibur 4. It's definitely not for everyone, but online is so much fun to me. Far more fun than SF4 online.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

My top favourite fighting games are Capcom vs SNK 2, Street Fighter 3, and Virtua Fighter 4&5. If you can get Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (PS2), that game has the greatest training mode of any fighting game, ever. VF is the most complex game out there, but it is really rewarding once you learn it. And by going through VF4's training mode, you can learn a lot of things that can be applied to other fighting games, 3D or otherwise. It's not as flashy as most other 3D fighters, which I guess is part of why it isn't as popular as the others, but I would still assert it is the best.

VF5 is more accessible to newcomers than the past ones were, as still retains all the depth and complexity but it's easier to do okay just by button mashing. You will still get utterly destroyed by someone who knows what they're doing though, so it's not like a Bloody Roar or a similar game where button mashing can turn tables regardless of skill gaps.

I bought my PS3 for Virtua Fighter 5. When I went to Japan in '06, one of my major reasons was to play Virtua Fighter 5 in the arcades. It kind of sucks that the later 360 version of VF5 is superior, and I bought it anyway, but it actually started a trend--I bought Soulcalibur 4 and Street Fighter 4 for both systems. But that trend stopped with BlazBlue.

I'm not as big of a fan of the Guilty Gear style, and by extension BlazBlue, as it is a liiiitle too frantic for me to really take seriously, but I do enjoy playing them. The latest version of Guilty Gear XX that has been released is 'Accent Core Plus'.

I am pretty hardcore into the fighting games. I have a few different arcade sticks, but my favourite one is the 'Virtua Stick High Grade' that I got for the PS3, and it has since been modified to work on both the PS3 and the 360. It's unfortunately out of print now, but it remains the best stick I have. I also have the 'Hori Real Arcade Pro' for both the PS3 and 360, with different buttons, but I still really prefer my VirtuaStick. I imported Tatsunoko vs Capcom, which came with a Wii arcade stick too. That's a pretty fun game, and I look forward to the US release.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I somehow knew you'd come in with some good opinions JKTrix.

I've had Virtua Fighters 4 and 5 for some time. I never bothered with VF4 Evolution because it just wasn't worth buying a whole new game for two new fighters in my eyes at the time. The training mode was good in the first version of VF4, but I always preferred the Weapon Master mode in Soul Calibur 2 as a training mode. I mean it wasn't strictly a training mode per se, but it did an excellent job in teaching some advanced gameplay concepts, particularly with the later challenges which introduced some brutal handicaps. Sadly, I've found my interest in 3D fighters kind of waning since those. I still haven't played SC4, but VF5 and SC3 just didn't pull me in as much as their predecessors. I think my tastes at the moment are moving towards games that are simpler in design and move lists, but still rich in strategy and tactics, particularly when playing other people.

Thanks for reminding me of Capcom vs. SNK and Street Fighter 3. Not sure how either of them slipped my mind recently, but I've been meaning to try both for a while. I've particularly become interested in SF3's parry system, especially since I first saw video of this match: YouTube - EVO Moment #37 - Daigo(Ken) defeats Justin(Chun-li)
    Seeing a player actually turn a fight like that around is simply astounding.

And thanks once again for the arcade stick suggestions. I'd like your thoughts on the Street Fighter 4 tournament edition arcade stick if you've ever used it. I've heard it's a high quality stick, and last I saw a nearby EB still had at least one in stock, so just wondering if you've ever used it and if you'd think it's worth the purchase if it's readily available to me.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I prefer 2-Way run games over 8-way.

But I don't hate 8-way either.

If you like street fighter then get 3rd strike since its infinitely better than 4 (which is boring imo). MvC2 is pretty awesome too.

btw Daigo and Justin Wong went to Japan for a big tourney as a team and got destroyed, both by one guy on the other team playing Q; that was a good Q lol

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Daigo and Justin got destroyed as tag team partners?
    Huh? I thought they were the top 2 SF players in the world?

Anyway I'm playing Tekken 6 a lot and it's a good game if you're really into fighters. It just lacks game modes, which is funny since namco makes Soul Calibur and that series always has more options, with arena battles, better story mode and such. The gameplay in 6 is terrific though. The online has been patched but I've noticed no difference and according to what other people say it's because I have a cheap internet provider (clear). ugh.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I'll go out on a limb and say the SF4 Tournament stick is definitely worth getting. Haven't had a chance to use it myself, but the man who was responsible for putting it together is probably the most hardcore stick-er I know. He runs the 'SDTekken.com' site which keeps a pretty good technical list of arcade sticks, all of which he owns personally.

As for that Street Fighter video... Daigo and Justin clashed twice this year in Street Fighter 4. The first was during the Gamestop tournament at the beginning of the year, where Daigo utterly trashed Justin. The 2nd one was at the 2009 Evolution tournament--the same venue that that SF3 video took place--and it was an intense, intense battle.

VF4 Evo is worth purchasing for the training dojo alone. It was released brand new in '03 for $20, and I've seen 'brand new' prices for it for around $6. I understand that Vivi isn't into it, but if anyone else reading is interested in getting into or learning more about fighting games. Seriously, it is far deeper than any other fighting game. It teaches you exactly how to do things like 'Evading Throw Escape Guards', the difference between a full spinning attack and a half spinning attack, how to deal with specific types of combat situations, when and when not to throw, things like that. The fact that it actually shows you the exact inputs and the timing of such, and even provides performance-based suggestions if you fail at it makes it almost feel like you're actually learning a martial art. I can understand if it doesn't click with you though, after already having played it. VF5 in particular was pretty barebones, which doesn't help with its accessibility.

This video shows part of that mode, where after it teaches you how to do the 'evade/throw escape/guard' it tests you on it.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    VF4 Evo is worth purchasing for the training dojo alone. It was released brand new in '03 for $20, and I've seen 'brand new' prices for it for around $6. I understand that Vivi isn't into it, but if anyone else reading is interested in getting into or learning more about fighting games. Seriously, it is far deeper than any other fighting game. It teaches you exactly how to do things like 'Evading Throw Escape Guards', the difference between a full spinning attack and a half spinning attack, how to deal with specific types of combat situations, when and when not to throw, things like that. The fact that it actually shows you the exact inputs and the timing of such, and even provides performance-based suggestions if you fail at it makes it almost feel like you're actually learning a martial art. I can understand if it doesn't click with you though, after already having played it. VF5 in particular was pretty barebones, which doesn't help with its accessibility.
    Okay, that officially looks and sounds like the best training mode ever after all. When I get back into 3D fighters someday (which I know I will. I do love them, I'm just kind of tired of them and moving in new directions lately since I largely avoided 2D fighters in my youth) I might get it just to refresh my understanding of the series and it's techniques. I would also second the recommendation of VF to any fighting game fan. It is not only the deepest fighting game I've ever played, but manages to be one of the most balanced fighting games I've ever played, period.

9 replies and not one mention of Samurai Shodown? For shame. Seriously, buy the Samuari Shodown Anthology for the PS2 or PSP. The series has had its ups and downs (moreso than any other fighter I can think of) but look no further than Samurai Shodown 2 for one of the most refined and satisfying fighters ever made. Kind of went downhill from there unfortunately.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I was about to recommend Samurai Shodown, SS4 is still the best in think, play some King of Fighters games too, KoF98 is my fav.
    There are also a ton of 2D fighters for the NeoGeo arcades like "Last Blade I, II" the SNK ones are some of the best. Here is a list..
    You can play those in the computer with a Neo Geo or MAME emulator..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aside from the Tekken, MK & SF series games there is only one fighting series I ever cared about Battle Arena Toshinden! BAT was the first game I got for my PSX & I love it even too this day. Not the most complicated or engrossing fighting games but I loved it.

I'd take Bushido Blade, Last Blade, Tekken, SC4 or 2, or tons of other fighters over SF4 or the new KoF crap any day.

the "Dead or Alive" series is my favorite 3D fighters, the speed and response times are amazing (DoA1, not so much)... my favorite 2D fighters are "Guilty Gear", and the "Street Fighter" series, once again because of speed and response times... i can't stand any fighter that does not respond as fast as i hit a button, i tried "Tekken" and "King of Fighters" a few years back but found their response times and speed to be horrible... for really old school i love "Mortal Combat 1-3", "Samurai Showdown", "World Heros", & "Eternal Champions CD", i really miss that last one...