Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plot Holes, Goofs and Other Discrepancies

Default Plot Holes, Goofs and Other Discrepancies

List of Final Fantasy Plot Holes, Goofs and Other Discrepancies - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research

Anyone else seen this? I found it quite interesting. i naturally skipped over the parts of the games I didn't play but for VII through X-2 it was pretty fun to read.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's an interesting read, but some of the plot holes aren't even plot holes, and they even explain how they could happen. I'm thinking specifically of the ones for IV and VI. Some others they think are plot holes but are really just them trying to apply gameplay logic to the story which is a bad idea in pretty much every RPG ever made. Sure in FFVIII you know that you're party might be powerhouses who could take on an endless army of enemy troops, but if the story assumed that then the whole game would be pretty boring. We know that there's nothing in the game that will actually beat you, but it's hard to build dramatic tension if you just assume all of the characters are godly.

The list of goofs are a little better if you ask me as they are generally goofs whereas the plot holes are a little iffy.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not really sure how accurate these things are. Some of the "plot holes" they even explain themselves

oh, and this one is just wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by That Page
    When you meet up with Rikku again, Tidus introduces her to Yuna and Lulu as the girl he was talking about. However, Tidus never mentioned Rikku to anyone, including Yuna and Lulu.
    Quote Originally Posted by FFX, in Luca
    Tidus
    "Hey!"
    "Al Bhed Psyches, right?"
    "Some Al Bhed saved me the other day, and..."
    "This girl Rikku gave me food and..."
    Even if he hadn't said that, I always assume they chit-chat more than what's shown.

Banned

Whoever typed that stuff I don't think understands what a plot hole is!

Also they're just being nitpicky about some of it, like about how you can still play cards after time compression in VIII. If that's a plot hole, then so are many of the summon animations at various points in the game.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

"Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    During the film, the characters seem to travel between Midgar and the Forgotten Capital in a matter of hours, when the Forgotten Capital is actually located on the northern continent, which would seem like a difficult trip to make by bike."

I noticed that one right away when I watched AC.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    Whoever typed that stuff I don't think understands what a plot hole is!

Also they're just being nitpicky about some of it, like about how you can still play cards after time compression in VIII. If that's a plot hole, then so are many of the summon animations at various points in the game.
    Indeed. I never saw it as a plot hole, merely a way to avoid completely locking the player out of a game mechanic in the fourth disc much like the ability to call up shops with Tonberry.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That thing was terrible. The writer clearly didn't appreciate how badly that kid wanted to become a blitzball.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

* It is never shown if Kuja died or survived after Zidane fought him (though this may be intentional). However, keep in mind that Garland emphasized that Zidane will grow powerful by the time Kuja dies. Which could explain why Zidane was able to escape.
    I don't know why they put this in here. Considering the dialogue that follows it should be obvious that Kuja died.

The Thunder Slash Glitch is a glitch involving the skill Thunder Slash in Final Fantasy IX. The result of this bug is due to the fact that Thunder Slash's Hit Rate was added to Iai Strike's Hit rate, resulting in Thunder Slash having a Hit rate of 0 while greatly improving the hit rate of Iai Strike, making Iai Strike far more potent than it should be and Thunder Slash completely worthless.
    I always wondered about that and I always thought Iwasn't doing something properly like it would only work on electric weak enemies, but this explains it. It doesn't explain why Beatrix can use the move fine though.

Irvine is seen to shoot Sorceress Edea from front-on during the parade sequence, however moments later, when Squall drives up to her float, the float is facing directly away from their shooting position. Besides the obvious change of direction in the way the float is facing, the backing of Edea's throne would have made shooting her from that angle impossible.
    I think I always notice this one too.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 12-14-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I had no idea the sign in Tifa's bar said TEXAS o.o

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Irvine is seen to shoot Sorceress Edea from front-on during the parade sequence, however moments later, when Squall drives up to her float, the float is facing directly away from their shooting position. Besides the obvious change of direction in the way the float is facing, the backing of Edea's throne would have made shooting her from that angle impossible.
    The first time I noticed this one back in the day, I began to laugh hysterically.

Yeah, some of that was definitely nitpicking, or just outright wrong (yes, it does state why Baron wanted Mist destroyed in FF IV. Very clearly). but hey, nitpicking is what FF fans seem to be best at.

Also, a really obvious one is missing from the list. In IV, Kain is convincing Cecil to keep going after the package turns out to be a bomb, because after all, "We must rescue Rosa!" Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I missed some NPC who would have shed light on this or something, but don't we have no idea that anything bad has happened to Rosa until they get to the next town? That one has bugged me every time I played it.

Quote Originally Posted by ,,, View Post
    Also, a really obvious one is missing from the list. In IV, Kain is convincing Cecil to keep going after the package turns out to be a bomb, because after all, "We must rescue Rosa!" Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I missed some NPC who would have shed light on this or something, but don't we have no idea that anything bad has happened to Rosa until they get to the next town? That one has bugged me every time I played it.
    I'm pretty certain that just before that they said about how they would fight Baron together and they would need allies. I think that Kain meant that they needed to rescue Rosa from Baron, in case they tried to use her to get to Cecil and Kain.
    I could be wrong I don't remember that scene a great deal but I have a feeling that would be what was meant.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The DS version of IV clears both those inconsistencies up, its up front about why Baron wanted the Summoners killed and after the Bomb Ring incident, Kain and Cecil talk about teaming up with Rosa to stop Baron.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If this was IMDB, I'd place that in the "Incorrectly Regarded as a Goof" section.

I noticed this long before I read this, and was going to include it in my article (and still will). It's not a goof, it is done deleberatly - it's more forshadowing to the orphnage scene. Think about it, Irvine knows who Edea is. His line about "not wanting to go down in history" is an excuse, but when Squall talks him out of it, he has no choice, so he is forced to shoot, but he aims away from the target - which doesn't matter because Edea casts protect anway.

What article are you writing?

And it looked like that bullet would hit her to me.