Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the aeroplanes!?

Default Where are all the aeroplanes!?

The general consensus about FFVIII is that the military technology is at least modern. I mean, they've got machine guns, rifles, armored vehicles, attack boats, long-range missiles, even some badass robots.

So why aren't there any jets? :o

With the exclusion of Ragnarok, there isn't a single vehicle remotely similar to a fighter jet, bomber, etc. You'd think with all their fancy-pants equipment, they would have thought about that pretty important aspect of warfare.

Now, I know this is a game, and games don't have to make sense, but I'm a speculative kind of guy. Any ideas as to why there aren't any planes in FFVIII?

Garland is freakin' awesome.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Perhaps Garden filled the need

Banned

What about Lutanic Pandora?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The galbadian got some flying robots which their soldiers can pliot right? It appear in Disc two FMV or something.

I know absolutely nothing about technology but couldnt the whole radio interference be a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    The galbadian got some flying robots cybernetic organisms which their soldiers can pliot right? It appear in Disc two FMV or something.

Yeah but those are like hover things. They don't seem like you could fly long distances.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about technology but couldnt the whole radio interference be a factor?
    That is true. Aircraft depend pretty heavily on radio. If you knew where you were flying and that there would be no problem scheduling a landing, flying without radio wouldn't be a problem.

I don`t think that aircrafts in VIII depend on radio to function correctly. If they actually depend on radio, it would be impossible for Galbadia to hit Balamb Garden via the missiles. Because Adel was still blocking the wall of Destiny at that point.

That`s why you guys shouldn`t use actual common sense.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

The Wall of Destiny?!

Actually, wait. Forget I asked. x)

I mean Adel interfering the radio waves.

Whether or not that was set in stone is up to you to believe.

As for me, if Adel never blocked the radio waves in the first place... I don't think Squall would survive and tell Edea the ideas of SEED and Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    I mean Adel interfering the radio waves.

Whether or not that was set in stone is up to you to believe.

As for me, if Adel never blocked the radio waves in the first place... I don't think Squall would survive and tell Edea the ideas of SEED and Garden.
    The worldwide radio interference was set up as part of the seal put on Adel, it wasn't her messing with the airwaves.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Technology in FFVIII is by no means "modern", "futuristic", or anything. Gardens, for example seem to use pretty old tech to get things moving, not electronic or digital at all. Yes, they have guns, but swords and melee weapons are still utilized and magic is just as potent, if not more, than anything else!

What you should know about fantasy is that it takes many forms, just look up the wikipedia page on all the subgenres for starters. They take many influences, from other fiction as well as real life, and put it together into something that could not exist in the real world.

Lastly, you should know that societies move in different directions based on decisions they've made as a culture. There's no such thing as a linear path for human civilization that is "optimal" or "rational". Efficiency and rationality are human fairy tales created to justify and defend a certain way of thinking. Societies in FFVIII could have decided that airplanes are ugly, or never pondered on or aspired to fly. They might have just liked sea, land, and...er... hover travel a lot more.

Just a couple things to think on.

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    I don`t think that aircrafts in VIII depend on radio to function correctly. If they actually depend on radio, it would be impossible for Galbadia to hit Balamb Garden via the missiles. Because Adel was still blocking the wall of Destiny at that point.

Modern missiles do not rely on radio to function. Missiles of the 1950s didn't rely on radio to function.

Airplanes still rely on Radio to communicate with each other, landing sites, government defense installations.

Anyone remember the surprise of the other end of the radio conversation when Squall tries his luck with the Radio onboard Ragnarok?

And use FFVIII common sense, I still don't understand we're suppose to get what that is supposed to be.