Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: This game is so overrated.

Default This game is so overrated.

I've never seen a more overrated game than Final Fantasy VII. No, I'm not one of those people who will complain about graphics and such.

The characters weren't used very effectively. The story revolved around 3 characters. Cloud, Tifa, and Aeries (even after her death). The rest were ignored. There was no importance in the other characters. Cait Sith sacrificed himself, the sad music played, I was sad, then the game played with my feelings when another Cait Sith popped out of nowhere instantly. There were no bond or any type of relationship between the characters. When do you see a conversation or any sort of interactions between Cid and Vincent? Barret and Yuffie? Cid and Yuffie? Was there any sort of relationship between Cloud, who is supposed to be the main character, and any of the minor characters? The answer to all these questions is no. All these minor characters were used for nothing but battle purposes except Cid who provided the airship and Cait Sith who sacrificed himself. There was absolutely no character development.

Sephiroth was very over-rated. Yes he killed Aeries, but he accomplishes nothing. There are so many under-rated villains better than him, like Kuja, Kuja not only had power to destory an entire planet (which he did and sephiroth failed to do) but he proved that he was also very cunning as he was powerful. Whose the smarter villain? The guy who gets his own hands dirty or the guy who manipulates others to do the biddings for him? Yet, Sephiroth is like the king of villains in the Final Fantasy series because of his sword and long white hair.

VII is most likely a lot of people's first Final Fantasy game and people fell in love with it because it was a great game for it's time. Then VIII came out with the similar futurific theme. Then IX comes out and it goes back to the classical medieval theme that the ps1 generation isn't used to. People also aren't used to the happy, cartoonish art of IX either. The ps1 generation grew up with the emotional Cloud and Squall. Not the happy, cocky and upbeat Zidane. So a lot of these guys chose not to even play IX. This wasn't the only reason why IX was so underrated. IX came out right before the release of the PS2 and one of the first games out for PS2 was none other than FFX. So people bought the PS2 and ignored the FFIX and just decided to play X. And with all the advertisement and attention X was getting, X became the PS2 version of FFVII. I won't say X was overrated because X actually lived up to its hype. Good music, Great story. All the characters had their part in the story. So I believe X wasn't overrated but it wasn't underrated either. These are the reasons why you see VII and X (and a good amount of VIII) merchandises everywhere while IX was heavily ignored. I mean, seriously. You go to anime conventions and there are at least 59135913581 people dressed as Cloud or Vincent. You play Kingdom Hearts and you see characters like Cloud, Aeries, Yuffie, Cid, Squall, Seifer, Wakka, Selphie, Tidus, Auron, oh and Sephiroth's overrated ass WOULD be there also...in both games. While the only character from IX to make it to Kingdom Hearts was Vivi, and only because people demanded it. You go on replica sword websites and you'll see Cloud's Buster Sword, Squall and Seifer's gunblades, Tidus's water sword, and even Auron's sword. I would have loved to see Zidane's double edge sword there, but wait...Zidane's from IX. I'm surprised they included IX characters in Dissidia. I mean, thanks for not COMPLETELY excluding IX. But of course in the trailers, I would know that the figure that came out of that volcano would be Sephiroth before his image is shown. I'm sorry but...VII is just so overrated.

As you can tell, I'm a huge IX fan.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yuffie got the Wutai side quest which we get to know her story more.
    And so is Vincent, maybe not much but there is the crystal cave where you get his final limit break which you will know more about him?
    Also those two are optional characters in the game btw. The two of them are also not shown in the ending FMV.

The characters weren't used very effectively. The story revolved around 3 characters. Cloud, Tifa, and Aeries (even after her death). The rest were ignored.
    We have a massive side quest about Yuffie, meet her father and learn how Wutai was plundered by Shin-Ra. We learn about Vincent's past with the Turks and Lucrecia. We visit Red XIII hometown and learn about his father and his race.

We learn about every single character in the game, apart from Cait, who is really Reeve. It is very unfair to say it all revolves around 3 characters when it plainly does not. Obviously they are the MAIN characters, but that is to be expected. You can't tell an effective story if you are constantly finding silly reasons to get them all involved.

There was no importance in the other characters. Cait Sith sacrificed himself, the sad music played, I was sad, then the game played with my feelings when another Cait Sith popped out of nowhere instantly.
    This is to do with the silly translation. It is much clearer when you know the actual dialogue.

Was there any sort of relationship between Cloud, who is supposed to be the main character, and any of the minor characters?
    Cloud isn't supposed to have. He is a cold hearted mercenary. Making him suddenly social machine 2000 would not be his character anymore than it would Squall. Also, there is a limit to how much story telling you can do in a game.

There was absolutely no character development.
    This is simply inaccurate. You find out all about Yuffie and her peoples past, you visit her home town. Same with Red XIII. Same with Barret (there is even dialogue about his wife and why he hates shin-ra). You learn about Vinent and his past (again having too much dialogue with Vincent or an Auron damages their character). Every single character had a full backstory except reeve/cait sith.

Sephiroth was very over-rated. Yes he killed Aeries, but he accomplishes nothing.
    That might just have to do with the fact he was stopped by your party, which was the object of the entire game. He almost destroyed the planet.

The guy who gets his own hands dirty or the guy who manipulates others to do the biddings for him? Yet, Sephiroth is like the king of villains in the Final Fantasy series because of his sword and long white hair.
    No. It is because his character is cool, the music is cool, the story he had was very well written. His dialogue was also good and he did have a purpose. He wanted to be God and was bitter at beng merely an experiement. he lost his mind.
    VII is most likely a lot of people's first Final Fantasy game and people fell in love with it because it was a great game for it's time.
    A story does not age.

As you can tell, I'm a huge IX fan
    A game that had far less character development than VII and far less dialogue overall.

FFVII isn't anywhere near being the worst game ever, but it isn't anywhere near being the best game ever, so it definitely is quite overrated.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I've never seen a more overrated game than Final Fantasy VII.
    I don't know, have you seen Guitar Hero?

Anyway, as my favorite Final Fantasy being IX, I may be a little biases, but I won't say I don't like FFVII, I did somewhat despite the fact that it was merely the epic sword fight of a pathological liar and a momma's boy, the Materia system was good and at least gave you visual representation of what materia was and how it worked, unlike FFVIII, what does 100 Curagas or 100 Scans look like? They have to take on some form to collect them.

I will that if there is anything completely and terribly wrong about it it's the fan base, not saying if you like it you're pitiful, if you like it that's great. I'm talking about people who not only make Internet shrines of FFVII, but half their house is a real life shrine of FFVII, people that start families with FFVII as a base for it and there are people who got married over this game, people that try to turn a PS1 game into a religion. That's what is terribly wrong, of course I could be considered a hypocrite because when I was younger, FFIX was big deal to me, I fan ficted and everything, but as I got older, the most I've done recently with FFIX is checked out the script and saw how I could parody making FFVII + II, a parody that acts on the principle if "FFVII" is in the name, people will blindly fall down before the parody fan fiction thread and worship it.

We have a massive side quest about Yuffie, meet her father and learn how Wutai was plundered by Shin-Ra. We learn about Vincent's past with the Turks and Lucrecia. We visit Red XIII hometown and learn about his father and his race.

We learn about every single character in the game, apart from Cait, who is really Reeve. It is very unfair to say it all revolves around 3 characters when it plainly does not. Obviously they are the MAIN characters, but that is to be expected. You can't tell an effective story if you are constantly finding silly reasons to get them all involved.
    Lol. So it takes a measly side quest to know about these characters. Vincent's Lucretia sidequest was so minute and unrelated to the whole story. In Final Fantasy IX, everyone's story was part of the main story. You didn't have to go out of your way to find out about these characters. They naturally blended in with the main quest. IX did a great job getting all the characters involved and still had a great story. Main characters in a Final Fantasy story should relate to all the other characters. That's what makes them leaders.

This is to do with the silly translation. It is much clearer when you know the actual dialogue.
    The problem was that they tried to make this scene so sad and emotional. If we knew a little about Cait Sith and his story, it could've made his sacrifice more powerful. It's like they tried to play it too safe by having the one character with no back story or past or anything the sacrificial lamb. Honestly, it would have been better if the new Cait Sith never came along. It would have been a little more emotional.

Cloud isn't supposed to have. He is a cold hearted mercenary. Making him suddenly social machine 2000 would not be his character anymore than it would Squall. Also, there is a limit to how much story telling you can do in a game.
    I'm not saying he should become social out of nowhere. But in a good storytelling game, we should be able to see a gradual change in the character. It's called character development. No character should end the same way he began.

This is simply inaccurate. You find out all about Yuffie and her peoples past, you visit her home town. Same with Red XIII. Same with Barret (there is even dialogue about his wife and why he hates shin-ra). You learn about Vinent and his past (again having too much dialogue with Vincent or an Auron damages their character). Every single character had a full backstory except reeve/cait sith.
    I understand that each character has their own story, but I want to see some change in the character. That's what character development is supposed to be. It's like they all have the same motive all the way to the end of the game. In Final Fantasy IX, we see how each characters are not the same as they were. We see how traveling with Zidane gives them a new outlook on life. We see how Zidane fixes each character's flaws. That's the type of impact a main character should have. Yes, too many dialogue for certain characters can ruin their whole character. These characters are usually the type that has very little to say but when they say it, it's a very deep and meaningful sentence.

That might just have to do with the fact he was stopped by your party, which was the object of the entire game. He almost destroyed the planet.
    The fact that he was stopped by the party before he accomplished anything just shows how overrated he was. Kuja's accomplishments overshadows Sephiroths accomplishments. He destroyed Alexandria, Cleyra, Burmecia, and Lindblum. 3 of them he used someone else to do it. He achieved the power of Trance. He killed Garland. If that wasn't enough, he destroyed an entire planet. And after all the havoc he released on Gaia, the party stopped him before he delivered the final blow. See the difference? How a villain looks or dresses or what theme song he comes out to shouldn't make a villain. His accomplishment should. Which is why I say Sephiroth is overrated.

A game that had far less character development than VII and far less dialogue overall.
    Less character development? Ok. The main character was involved in all the characters problems. He made their problem his own. Amarant had a whole new outlook on teamwork. Steiner changed his loyalty towards one person into a whole nation. Eiko, who was always alone, found the meaning of friendship and happiness. Quina who was isolated in her little marsh faced his/her fears and went out into the world and experienced many different things (and Quina is supposed to be the Cait Sith of FFIX). That's what you call character development. Dialogues? We see these changes in characters through their dialogues. The meaningful dialogue between Freya and Amarant (rivals) during their fight with one of the 4 fiends, showed the change Freya saw in her rival Amarant. Or any dialogues between Steiner and Vivi shows the whole master and servant relationship between the two. The comedic dialogue with Quina and Vivi or Quina and ANYBODY for that matter. Or the dislike Steiner shows Zidane through his dialogues and movements. See how not one character is secluded unlike Final Fantasy VII?

Default I certainly don't consider FFVII overrated...

That's usually what its detractors say.

It certainly has more character development than FFXII has for example...

There's nothing wrong with the story primarily being centered around 3 characters with some info about the rest.

It's not that different from most rpgs in that approach.

So I don't follow the tc's reasoning.

As it is I feel it's likely the game will be remade at some point due to the high liklihood it would made Square a lot of money.

So if the tc would like some changes made to any remake he can make some recommendations.

I would have to say that perhaps the emphasis on FFIX would be best discussed in FFIX, as FFVII isn't the only game that overshadows FFIX, There's FFX, KH, and even FFXII so I've been told. The reason I mention such is this thread is steering away from FFVII and into FFIX, a fine concept, because I have thought of declaring war on the games that overshadow FFIX but it's not so much FF games, as it is the fanboys and fangirls, yeah, I'm going on my soap box about the fan base. Everyone knows it's a great game, as many Final Fantasy games are, I was still shocked at the sight of Advent Children coming into play, it's good from what all I've seen, I haven't seen it in its entirety but what makes FFVII SO great that it deserves what six great games before it and four great games after it (I don't count FFXI because it's on going as an MMO, and FFX-2...yeah, that never happened.) didn't get?

I would have to say that perhaps the emphasis on FFIX would be best discussed in FFIX, as FFVII isn't the only game that overshadows FFIX, There's FFX, KH, and even FFXII so I've been told. The reason I mention such is this thread is steering away from FFVII and into FFIX, a fine concept, because I have thought of declaring war on the games that overshadow FFIX but it's not so much FF games, as it is the fanboys and fangirls, yeah, I'm going on my soap box about the fan base. Everyone knows it's a great game, as many Final Fantasy games are, I was still shocked at the sight of Advent Children coming into play, it's good from what all I've seen, I haven't seen it in its entirety but what makes FFVII SO great that it deserves what six great games before it and four great games after it (I don't count FFXI because it's on going as an MMO, and FFX-2...yeah, that never happened.) didn't get?
    I see that it is swaying to a more FFIX topic, but this is where I can have a discussion and arguments with FFVII fans who overrate VII. In the FFIX section, I feel like all I'm going to get is agreements from people. I want to see some disagreements and have debates with them and such, which is one of the reason I believe forums are for.

But I still want to know what's so great about FFVII for it to get Advent Children, where the six before it didn't? I understand IV's getting one, took them long enough.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The characters weren't used very effectively. The story revolved around 3 characters. Cloud, Tifa, and Aeries (even after her death). The rest were ignored. There was no importance in the other characters.
    I suppose it's easy to miss Barrett at the beginning of the game, Barrett at North Corel, Red XIII at Cosmo Canyon and in the Gi Cave, Cid at Rocket Town and in the rocket... all of which were points of fairly major development focused on that character. Also, Yuffie and Vincent were optional characters, so there wasn't going to be much interaction later in the game -- and Vincent, regardless, had his fair share of development.

FF7 was not the best FF, but it's a decent game. My biggest critique of it is the story development.

I suppose it's easy to miss Barrett at the beginning of the game, Barrett at North Corel, Red XIII at Cosmo Canyon and in the Gi Cave, Cid at Rocket Town and in the rocket... all of which were points of fairly major development focused on that character. Also, Yuffie and Vincent were optional characters, so there wasn't going to be much interaction later in the game -- and Vincent, regardless, had his fair share of development.

FF7 was not the best FF, but it's a decent game. My biggest critique of it is the story development.
    read my next post.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Most of it was irrelevant to my post, but there was:
    I understand that each character has their own story, but I want to see some change in the character.
    Did you even pay attention to Barret, Cid's and Red XIII's stories? Barret the hardass getting worn down and self-loathing with his perceived mistake, having to get his confidence back? Cid hating Shera for ruining his life, ultimately realizing why that happened? Red XIII hating his father for the perceived cowardice, learning the truth? That isn't even including the main story with Cloud and Tifa's development.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of FF7, but you seem to be trying to just nitpick at everything, including making things up where they don't exist.

I don`t get it. A lot of people like VII, and you beg to differ. Therefore, you call this game overrated?

Did you even pay attention to Barret, Cid's and Red XIII's stories? Barret the hardass getting worn down and self-loathing with his perceived mistake, having to get his confidence back? Cid hating Shera for ruining his life, ultimately realizing why that happened? Red XIII hating his father for the perceived cowardice, learning the truth? That isn't even including the main story with Cloud and Tifa's development.

There are plenty of valid criticisms of FF7, but you seem to be trying to just nitpick at everything, including making things up where they don't exist.
    I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm not talking about misunderstandings one character had with another person. I'm talking about their character. What they believed in. Stuff like that.

People overrate the story, the characters, and espiecially Sephiroth. I think I covered why this guy was overrated. In fact, I don't even consider this nitpicking. I haven't even talked about the story, music, battle system and such. I stated 2 problems I had with this game. Characters and the villain. Oh wait, they can go together, so one problem.