Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3: Do I REALLY need a 250 GB system?

Default PS3: Do I REALLY need a 250 GB system?

What are the benefits to getting the 250GB PS3 system compared to the other one? Does the extra memory REALLY constitute paying the extra $150 (here in the USA).

Has anybody come close to filling up the 120 GB smaller one? And is there an add on you can get if you want a bigger sized HD? I'd like to find this out before I buy one. THanks if you can help.
    Final Fantasy Infusion - Live the Adventure

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah, honestly, that's just something they can throw in as a perk. I have an 80gb system and I probably have 60-70gb of free space still, with something like ten games, after about six months of ownership. The only way it'll really fill up is if you actually download a lot of games and demos and never delete them.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

As Hsu said, it depends on how much you play, but you should really be fine with a smaller HD. 250 GB is an obscene amount to me.

I'm not a person that really throws things away or sells them. I make my purchases after hearing the reviews and all that. I have like 40-50 PS2 games, but I don't think it will get that out of hand with the PS3. Is the 120 big enough for 30-ish games?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Is the 120 big enough for 30-ish games?
    Easily. I'm a little shy of thirty I believe and have a launch model 60GB system. Some demos and game installs can get pretty big (I've seen many demos over 1GB, and numerous game installs in the 5GB range), but as long as you delete the things when you're done playing them you'll be fine. Actual save files aren't really an issue because I don't think I've ever seen one over 8Mb.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

You should be fine. If you find yourself needing more space, you can buy a larger HD separately for less money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Does the extra memory REALLY constitute paying the extra $150 (here in the USA).
    No.

I have a 40GB model, and have never come close to filling it up. Of course, I only use mine for gaming and my PC as a PC. Some people want to do everything on their PS3, such as have their entire music/picture/movie library saved on it, so I can see how that extra space would come in handy then.

If you really want more space, just buy a seperate hard drive and slap that in. It'll be so much cheaper.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Really depends on your consumption. If you anticipate downloading a lot of demos, downloading a lot of High Definition videos, installing a lot of games, utilize those games that allow you to capture gameplay footage, etc... Then yeah, go for the 250. The PS3 is my least played system, and I have a launch model 60 GB, and it took me just under a year to fill it up. I have a 120GB 360 Elite, also filled that up recently. On a separate matter, i have about 3 terabytes of 'stuff' plugged into my PC right now.

So it depends. I think you will be okay with the 120, though. You don't have to keep everything, particularly game installs for games you don't play anymore, or demos for games you already own.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Really depends on your consumption. If you anticipate downloading a lot of demos, downloading a lot of High Definition videos, installing a lot of games, utilize those games that allow you to capture gameplay footage, etc... Then yeah, go for the 250. The PS3 is my least played system, and I have a launch model 60 GB, and it took me just under a year to fill it up. I have a 120GB 360 Elite, also filled that up recently. On a separate matter, i have about 3 terabytes of 'stuff' plugged into my PC right now.
    I'll grant you that gameplay footage may take up a lot of space if you use it a lot (I don't myself), but unless you're playing a game or demo a lot there's no reason to keep it on your hard drive. I don't care how many demos you download, you'll never have so many on a regular basis that it becomes a problem for a 120GB hard drive (if you actually hold onto a demo for more than a week you should probably just buy the game anyway).

Game installs aren't a huge deal anyway. Once you've put a game aside for a while there's no reason to keep it on unless you intend to get back to it soon. You'd have to really, really hate the install times and have a lot of games to really fill 120GB with game installs.

FFXIV Character

Aydin Yamisama (Sargatanas)

Unless you're actually going to use the PS3 for downloading movies and all that jazz, you'll be fine.

As others have already mentioned, it's really about assessing your needs. If you plan to use the PS3 as an all in one type media center, then a hard drive upgrade may be necessary. No matter what though, I do not recommend buying the 250 GB version. For less than $150 you could upgrade that drive to a decent 500 to 640 GB drive.

I bought the 40 GB version back in 2008 and promptly upgraded to 250 GB since I planned on downloading videos as well as some PS1 classics. With games and videos installed, I've used a good 70 GB or so. Not to mention, even with the 250 GB drive, only around 200 GB is usable.

Wait? Since when does the 250 GB cost $450? I thought they were $350. The only way your math seems to work out is if you're getting some sick bundle like the all the BF adds where you're essentially getting $100 worth of games free with a 120 GB at $300.

Fifty bucks isn't bad if for no other reason than to save you the hassle, but I'd probably still go with the 120 and self-upgrade myself if it became necessary (my present course of action as a matter of fact). The 120 is only sweetened by the bundle if that is indeed the case.

If you want to download and keep every demo and video that slightly perks your interest then maybe. I frequently clean out stuff on my 120gb 360 that I've had for a year and a half, and consistently hang around 80gb of free space, with usually no more than 3 installed games at a time. Just delete your installs once you're done, and get rid of old demos and smaller hard drives are plenty. As others said

Guess the places I saw some of them at were doing the bundle deal, hence why it's more expensive. You're right though, $299 and $349 . . .

How long ago were the Slims released? And what was the amount of time between their release and the last one? I'm wondering if I should hold off until March around my Bday in hopes of another release with even MORE data storage for the same price.