Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people hate Tidus????

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfectionist View Post
    He does have something subtly perverted about him...
    What always got me was the way he screamed 'YA LIKE THAT' at me after a battle and I was just left there feeling all dirty
    hahaha, yeah i feel the same, glad to know i'm not the only one who feels violated by Tidus's tone
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I am indifferent to Tidus mainly because of the confusing plot elements. Does he not care that he is a part of an Aeon and not a real person, or am I recalling correctly that he does not actually address this during the game until he disappears at the end of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Yeah, the only real information you get about it in the game is the realization that DZ is essentially one enormous aeon, and therefore, like all aeons, would have an actual physical existence. You never get to visit it, though, even with an airship that can fly across all of Spira.
    If I recall correctly, the Fayth for Dream Zanarkand is located atop Mount Gagazet and the Aeon for Dream Zanakarand is located somewhere in the vast ocean in an unspecified location. That would explain why you cannot visit it in the Airship.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

There is the implication that the summonable Fayth are included in the dreaming that is summoning DZ, and Tidus (as part of DZ), which is why the hand-wringing over his fate (if you speak to them).

An interesting extension of this is that the Fayth of Anima became one fairly recently, and as such has her inclusion of the dreaming altered it?

Tidus isn't really that bad, but what drove me away from his character was the silly voice actor. Seriously, Tidus got on my nerves a lot. I feel like if they kept his personality the same, but scripted him slightly better and got a better voice actor for it, then I probably would've liked him a lot

Banned

Tidus only has one thing to say to all of his haters.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...2842450798.jpg

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

What the hell is up with his eyes in that picture?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    Tidus only has one thing to say to all of his haters.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...2842450798.jpg
    xD

Blog Entries

It never really clicked with me as to where Tidus learnt how to fight. He was given Jecht's Longsword by Auron and after initially fumbling with it for about three seconds, he's suddenly a seasoned pro. Cloud, Squall and Zidane by comparison seem to be much more 'qualified' to save the world (mercenary/ex-SOLDIER, military school graduate, (SPOILER)alien thief, respectively)

I also have another theory as to why people seem to dislike Tidus more than the protagonists of other FF games. It all boils down to the fact that no one says his name and as a result, we all feel somewhat distanced from him. In the days before voice-acting, it was a non-issue. In FFX-2 and FFXII, you couldn't rename Yuna and Vaan. Maybe if Square never gave the player the option to rename Tidus and have him mentioned and participate in dialogue more naturally, we'd all like him more.

And his pants are uneven.

Yeah his pants are uneven, and his jacket is a crop top. seems like if they wore a wetsuit sort of designed outfit it would be better for blitzing in, altho that might look even worst.
    The name thing is annoying, but i've named my Tidus "Meg Ryan" which has offered some mildly amusing moments "Meg Ryan is often haunted by memories of the past"
    But it does cause issues cos i thought his name was "Tide-us" but apparently its "Tee-dus" which sounds silly, sounds like Tedious, which is mean but occasionally fitting.

Edit: I've been slating him a lot but just to clarify. I like the character and I actually feel pretty sorry for him. He's a dork and I like to make fun of him but in a loving way lol
    Last edited by PeneloRatsbane; 02-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

I only have a problem with him in the Luca scene when he gets all whiny and mad. Then again in the Summoner's Sanctum when he cries. If you can call it that.

Those parts get on my nerves. Bad.

Default Fans tend to be too hard on characters

Wouldn't you cry if you found out all you knew was gone ?

Wouldn't you be angry if you knew there was some world destroying monster out there killing innocent people ?

I liked Tidus.Square chose the voice actor so it was their mistake and not the game's fault.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sir helix View Post
    I don't hate tidus, I hate wakka

Quote Originally Posted by reinward View Post
    i just dont get it.

Tidus is probablly tied with Zidane (ff9) for my favorite main character!

people complain that he's whiny, but c'mon how would anyone react if they were transported like 1000 years into the future (idk if thats right. its been a couple years since i played it)

he gives the game LIFE with his silly outbursts and actions. he's relatable to me

i mean seriously, would you really want a guy like SQUALL as the lead in that game???

i just dont understand why everyone hates Tidus.... i think he's awesome!
    You, my friend, are AWESOME. Tidus is a GREAT character, he bring plenty of life to the game and the party. I love his positive attitude and how he can bring Yuna out of depression with annoying " HAW HAW HAW" laughter. And Squall rules.

Blog Entries

I am a Tidus hater. And here's my reasoning.

1) How is he such a good fighter? He's a blitzball player -- that doesn't seem to make anyone particularly strong or battle savvy. He has a sword. Good for him.

2) His outfit. The horrors!

3) His voice actor. Not his fault, but I could not listen to him! It was abysmal.

4) He's portrayed as whiny through most of the game. No other FF main character came across as a crybaby before -- it throws me off. It was so unappealing.

5) He looks like Meg Ryan. Kidding. But seriously.