Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people hate Tidus????

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    I am a Tidus hater. And here's my reasoning.

1) How is he such a good fighter? He's a blitzball player -- that doesn't seem to make anyone particularly strong or battle savvy. He has a sword. Good for him.

2) His outfit. The horrors!

3) His voice actor. Not his fault, but I could not listen to him! It was abysmal.

4) He's portrayed as whiny through most of the game. No other FF main character came across as a crybaby before -- it throws me off. It was so unappealing.

5) He looks like Meg Ryan. Kidding. But seriously.
    He can hold his breath for over 5 minutes at a time while shooting a ball at high speeds UNDERWATER. He has to have some kind of power to him. His costume was awesome looking. I liked his voice actor, I still don't know why no one likes it(explain?). Plus his dad was a douche, or he thought he was, he may have been scarred.

Blog Entries

His voice was very high, and boy-ish. He sounded too childish for a leading male character. Obviously, we're allowed to disagree. He was a huge dent in the game for me though.

His voice was very high, and boy-ish. He sounded too childish for a leading male character. Obviously, we're allowed to disagree. He was a huge dent in the game for me though.
    Did you not think of it as a good thing that he seemed to always be positive and outgoing? I mean with the Final Fantasy characters I've been playing as (VII and VIII etc) theyve all been low down, could care less about most things. I just loved that he was so positive and loud. To me, I was always able to compare to him easily. I mean, when Yuna was depressed he got her out of it with a stupid laugh. Not many low guy voices can fit the profile for him.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taquadris View Post
    Did you not think of it as a good thing that he seemed to always be positive and outgoing? I mean with the Final Fantasy characters I've been playing as (VII and VIII etc) theyve all been low down, could care less about most things. I just loved that he was so positive and loud. To me, I was always able to compare to him easily. I mean, when Yuna was depressed he got her out of it with a stupid laugh. Not many low guy voices can fit the profile for him.
    He's as thick as a plank of wood, self absorbed, whiney and annoying. I'm going to have to agree that his voice was painful to listen too, it may of been said hundreds of times before, but he DOES look like Meg Ryan (or at least a girl) His outfit is horrible, his has a smug little face and he just does the stupidest things. I have no love for him, he ruined a perfectly good game. He makes Wakka look good

I actually quite liked Tidus, he was a well balanced consistant character, unlike Cloud who changes so quickly. At firts he's like "I don't care about the planet" and then he's all like "We gotta save the planet!" And this is all in the first third of disc 1. At least Squall took some time to change and grow as a character.

Tidus is a naive optimistic charcter, which he should be because he is fairly young and he doesn't know much about Spira, which is understandable. People don't like Tidus because he isn't as dark as Cloud and Squall, which he doesn't need to be. And I suppose out of all FF protagonists, the player sees Tidus's most inner thoughts the most, which will either make you love him or hate him.

But the reason why I like Tidus (and Zidane) so much is that the makers didn't try too hard to make him cool, unlike cloud and squall. Tidus is just a typical impulsive young man who hass so many feelings, not a hardened battle veteran who thinks they're too cool for school.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Blog Entries

I think Zidane is a better example of a cheery-optimistic character. I actually don't like the broodiness of some of the mains (I am hard to please apparently), but Tidus was just too boy-ish stupid for me. Zidane was immature, yes, but he seemed to be more competent.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

4) He's portrayed as whiny through most of the game. No other FF main character came across as a crybaby before -- it throws me off. It was so unappealing.
    Dohohoho I don't think you've ever played FFVII or FFVIII!
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Blog Entries

Aha, but I mean literal crybaby. Sure, Cloud and Squall are broody and have problems, but Tidus straight up is accused of crying, and does cry and whine.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Aha, but I mean literal crybaby. Sure, Cloud and Squall are broody and have problems, but Tidus straight up is accused of crying, and does cry and whine.
    Ok. FFX would have been much better off if we had some ultimate do-gooder guy as the protagonist. You know, a guy who just does what's right because of his sense of justice and equality! After all, the more unrealistic the protagonist, the better!

Or maybe we could have had another Cloud or Squall. Either way would work for me.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Blog Entries

You can make a protagonist realistic and sensitive without having him literally come across as a crybaby. It didn't appeal to me anyway - an uber soft and sniveling hero. Specifically the way they did it with Tidus turned me off. Those words have negative connotations, and I don't want to sound like I'm overtly against Tidus as a character concept. I just really didn't enjoy his character that much.

To each her own.

He was alright, he never really was on my good list, but wasn't on my bad list. Meh i liked his cheeryness, and his protective nature, he was just abit too much at some points.

I really liked him! Sure, his voice got on my nerves sometimes and I cringed when he did really embarrassing things, but he was so cheerful that I found it hard not to like him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

They're threatened by his raw sex appeal!
    jkhkjg

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Blog Entries

I always figured Tidus and Zidane were both alike in some ways. And with Tidus being whiny, who wouldn't be, if they were transferred 1000 years into the future?