Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people hate Tidus????

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    I always figured Tidus and Zidane were both alike in some ways. And with Tidus being whiny, who wouldn't be, if they were transferred 1000 years into the future?
    He isn't. But still, he just wants to go home. Somehow reminds me of Hope.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

I've never understood how Tidus is whiny. In fact I found him quite the opposite. If I woke up 1000 years in the future I'd freak the hell out.
    jkhkjg

Default I thought Tidus was ok...

not great like Cloud or Squall but ok...

I wish he had been more dynamic though...

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have absolutely no idea how Tidus can be called whiny. As a child, his father was very abusive, being neglectful and not offering anything remotely approaching positive regard, nevermind unconditionally so. And yet as a teenager he is an optimistic, upbeat, hugely successful superstar. The most famous living person in his world, probably.

Then, when he is torn from all that, does he collapse into a blubbering mess? No - he makes his way around a dangerous, ancient ruin, fights some monsters and successfully evades something that could swallow him whole, gets a fire going, and is trying to figure out how to get some food. Then he is kept on a cold, wet metal deck by people who don't even speak the same language as him (and the one who does seems to have marginal influence), which is attacked AGAIN by the massive world-ending thing.

Thoughout the whole game, with what, one or two exceptions, Tidus is relentlessly upbeat, optimistic, and a hell of a lot closer to Sephex's macro than whiny. Most of the time the very worst of his "whining" is "this sucks but Hey guys we can do it! Let's GO!" The height of his 'selfishness' is wanting to go home and he pretty easily accepts that if it's going to happen, it's a long way in the future. The only time he actually cries is when he's confronting his dad, a man who raised him with neglect and abuse and then disappeared, leaving his mom to raise him alone until she died of despair after which point he was an orphan at what, age 8?

Obv. it's a matter of taste and feeling but one criticism which does not stand up to scrutiny is that he's whiny.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how Tidus can be called whiny. As a child, his father was very abusive, being neglectful and not offering anything remotely approaching positive regard, nevermind unconditionally so. And yet as a teenager he is an optimistic, upbeat, hugely successful superstar. The most famous living person in his world, probably.

Then, when he is torn from all that, does he collapse into a blubbering mess? No - he makes his way around a dangerous, ancient ruin, fights some monsters and successfully evades something that could swallow him whole, gets a fire going, and is trying to figure out how to get some food. Then he is kept on a cold, wet metal deck by people who don't even speak the same language as him (and the one who does seems to have marginal influence), which is attacked AGAIN by the massive world-ending thing.

Thoughout the whole game, with what, one or two exceptions, Tidus is relentlessly upbeat, optimistic, and a hell of a lot closer to Sephex's macro than whiny. Most of the time the very worst of his "whining" is "this sucks but Hey guys we can do it! Let's GO!" The height of his 'selfishness' is wanting to go home and he pretty easily accepts that if it's going to happen, it's a long way in the future. The only time he actually cries is when he's confronting his dad, a man who raised him with neglect and abuse and then disappeared, leaving his mom to raise him alone until she died of despair after which point he was an orphan at what, age 8?

Obv. it's a matter of taste and feeling but one criticism which does not stand up to scrutiny is that he's whiny.
    lol you almost... ALMOST made me feel sorry for him. But then i remembered he's a wab and i hate him

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with MILF, but Tidus' voice got on my nerves. XD

Quote Originally Posted by crazybayman View Post
    He detected that Seymour was bad news early on.
    That's not that impressive. Wakka and Kimahri did, too.

That said, I like him, as well. Until Lightning came along, he was my favorite FF protagonist, bar none, with Terra right behind him. As has been said, his mostly-cheery nature was refreshing after suffering through Cloud and Squall. (Sorry. Wasn't a fan of either of them. Hence why I said "suffering" through them.) And I thought his romance with Yuna was one of the best, sweetest romances ever attempted in a Final Fantasy game.
    Last edited by Rodney; 05-05-2010 at 07:57 AM.

The answer is simple: Some people just find certain traits and actions irritating. Personally, I did find Tidus somewhat annoying. On the other hand, though, I could also see why (given his backstory) he does some of the things that he does.

Because he is whiny and annoying.

Actually here's a simpler answer: because we have functioning ears.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 05-11-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I found this part to be very annoying -.-

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    It has nothing to do with not being emo. And considering his tendency to cry, calling him not emotional is quite ridiculous.
    Well, the term "emo" is really not used to describe someone who is "emotional." It is used to describe someone who is "emotionally hardcore." This belies a sense of indifference or apathy in a person or character while they are honestly struggling with stress and tearing memories in the heart. An emo expresses personality and emotion through physical behavior and dress-style and often the music they listen to. Tidus just sort of puts his heart on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    People hate him because they are used to cliches and Tidus character IMO breaks away from the mold.
    He's not the broody bad ass hero neither he is the cliche type of the weak geeky boy (that will eventually become Bad Ass.)
    key terminology here: "Bad-Ass".

Tidus is already a "Bad-Ass" in his own world since the beginning of the game. He is the guy who enters in a stadium and thousands of people go wild. He is the biggest blitzball star player of Zanarkand which is perhaps the equivalent of Lionel Messi in today's soccer.
    He's Flash Gordon.
    People say he is stupid when in fact he is just akward. Today we travel to another country and we feel like aliens,can you imagine being in his position? I love the fact that he doesn't think of things too much.
    Herein lies the difficulty in accepting Tidus. No one wants to relate to an awkward teen whose been thrust into a situation in which it is a little more than questionable he'll be able to preservere let alone survive. No one wants to pretend to be that dorky teen that doesn't think. People want to fantasize about life in a world where they are the bad-ass hero who seemingly faces all of their problems in a sort of stride with not much more than a blink or a smirk to clarify their emotional standpoint.

I think mostly people tend to miss the fact that most characters in the game beside the main character... hate him or dislike him to some extent (or feel they have to change him) because of his bad-ass indifference or apathy. Or maybe they can better relate to him because of this. I know that while I was playing Final Fantasy VII, I related to Cloud easily because I often felt misunderstood and closed off and at times wondered who I was. It was a little jarring to find out that Cloud lost his friend Zack who was like a brother. From the pics I've seen of my baby brother, I'd always imagined him to have blonde hair, so the subplot of Cloud and Zack's past basically mirrored my life after losing my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I found this part to be very annoying -.-
    I'm getting tired of people who don't "get" this scene, which in my opinion is actually very obvious. I give up explaining though.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I reckon Mercen-X might be on to something there. All people want is a stoic 'badass' of a very rigid and traditional style.

It's a little more difficult, for whatever reason, to play the role of a hero while being lighthearted and carefree (and a little goofy)... it's just hard to envision how it properly meshes with the confidence and preserverence of the "heroic champion" stereotype.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Saving the world is serious business after all. Tidus' personality is generally reserved more for plucky comedy relief instead of the great hero. In fact, his personality most matches Rikku's, who is plucky comedy relief.