Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Achievements and Trophies

Default Achievements and Trophies

Has there been any word on these annoying little bundles of insanity for FFXIII yet? What sort of difficulty can we expect from them, and how many of them are going to be popping up in all their immersion-breaking glory?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Final Fantasy XIII Trophies Revealed - TheSixthAxis - PS3 and Xbox 360 News, Trophies And Opinion

Some of them sound like horrible grindfests, but I'm glad there's a lot of story achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Final Fantasy XIII Trophies Revealed - TheSixthAxis - PS3 and Xbox 360 News, Trophies And Opinion

Some of them sound like horrible grindfests, but I'm glad there's a lot of story achievements.
    I don't know. Looking back through previous FFs, I think I would be pretty upset if they had story-related achievements.

I mean, imagine you're viewing the cutscene of Aerith's death when all of a sudden:
    Achievement Unlocked - Two Sided Love Triangle

That said, most of them seem to be nothing more than things I do while playing normally, so shouldn't be too hard for me.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I really hope they utilize achievements for the uberbosses. I always thought it was stupid you were awarded a set of master materia for beating Emerald - what use is a set of master materia after you beat one of the two uber bosses?

An achievement for killing an uberboss is so much more rewarding to me than some random ultimate weapon or something.

edit: The localisation of the achievements sound silly. Why did "Felled a behemoth" have to get changed to "Felled a heavyweight" :S
    Last edited by Moon Rabbits; 12-22-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I concur. I hate getting achievements in games for not really achieving anything. Whenever I complete some part of the main story and an achievement pops up it tends to annoy me.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    I always thought it was stupid you were awarded a set of master materia for beating Emerald - what use is a set of master materia after you beat one of the two uber bosses?
    ... Really? I thought Emmy's prize was great, because beating him is far less effort than mastering every single materia in the game, including KotR. Now Ruby's prize was definitely underwhelming.

Contributions

Especially considering how much that chocobo blew at racing. It was the only female gold chocobo you could get in the game, but there was no point as I would never let one of my prized race birds go near that piece of dysgenics.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits
    edit: The localisation of the achievements sound silly. Why did "Felled a behemoth" have to get changed to "Felled a heavyweight" :S
    Yeah that's un FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Whenever I complete some part of the main story and an achievement pops up it tends to annoy me.
    That's weird out of all my PS3 games trophy icons only pop up after a custscene.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Link
    Deal over 100,000 damage to an enemy
    Wait, does this mean you can actually do more than 100,000 HP worth of damage in a single hit?

I'm excited about the trophies. I'll get them all no doubt, even though some of them really do sound like a ridiculous amount of grinding, like Psychotic stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits
    Yeah that's un FF.
    Most likely because there are additional "heavyweight" mobs in the lower world besides just the Behemoths.

Quote Originally Posted by Rade Bromance
    Quote Originally Posted by The Link
    Deal over 100,000 damage to an enemy
    Wait, does this mean you can actually do more than 100,000 HP worth of damage in a single hit?

I'm excited about the trophies. I'll get them all no doubt, even though some of them really do sound like a ridiculous amount of grinding, like Psychotic stated
    Higher numbers, perhaps, but it won't actually change gameplay any. In FFX, Break Damage Limit let you go from 9999 to 99999.

Now I guess the same ability will let you go from 99999 to 999999.

Larger numbers do not a better game make, and wish to hell they'd get over it. Yiazmat was bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Larger numbers do not a better game make, and wish to hell they'd get over it. Yiazmat was bad enough.
    I don't know... Some people love to see large numbers. Doesn't matter to me though.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I mostly prefer story achievements because I'd get them anyway. I hate grinding xD

Contributions

After playing Disgaea I can definitively say larger numbers is a bad direction in which to be heading in. When you are hitting for 10000000 + on a regular basis it becomes extremely difficult to keep track of how much damage you are actually doing. I know I have miss estimated the damage being thrown around simply because I didn't get a chance to count the decimal places before the number popped off the screen.

Imo, they should be designing battle systems where the damage cap isn't a relevant factor. Like Chrono Trigger.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I don't understand the point of story achievements. Isn't getting to that point in a game more rewarding than a pointless notification which says simply... that you've gotten to that point in the game?

Contributions

Apparently adding easy achievements to a 360 game will bost sales by 40,000.

News: Gearbox: easy Achievements mean 40,000 extra sales - Official Xbox 360 Magazine
    (Warning, anyone who reads this may die a little inside.)