Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will FF13 outsell FF7

Also didn't hurt that the out of the three commercials for FFVII not one showed gameplay, all but one split second was prerendered FMV, and it is never mentioned to be an RPG (oh, and the Aerith death was spoiled in one of the commercials). There's a reason for the stories of people returning FFVII because they didn't know the game had reading.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Banned

No.

I'm skeptical that it will even outsell XII, honestly. It seems like interest in the series has been gradually dwindling downward. I mean it's still a massively popular franchise and all, but unless this game does something to really stand out and get talked about a whole lot, I just don't see it breaking any records.

I have no doubts it will enjoy good sales though (as it already is).

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    Nowadays, the execs at Square Enix think getting Leona Lewis on the game will broaden their audience. That's a facepalm and a half.
    Actually no, because the "audience" now is not the audience there was then. Far more people are playing video games today then there were then, and they're a far broader demographic. Using a mainstream musical artist, that actually sings in the country's speaking language, can do nothing but good as it is a name that will appeal to more people and garner more interest in something some people may have otherwise not cared about at all.

The only reason people are complaining about the Leona Lewis thing at all is because they are misguided "JAPAN IS SUPERIOR" fanboys, and after all the complaining about XII by said fanboys with XII still being a commercial success, SE now knows that they're not top priority, and that alienating their former fanbase isn't going to bankrupt them. Besides, I don't see how anyone could complain about "My Hands" with that abomination of a song that's being used for the Japanese version...it's quite bad, in my humble opinion.

I'd say SE has a pretty good grasp on how to cater to their current audience.
    Last edited by Rad Bromance; 12-25-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Kinda weird situation here. I mean FFXIII is being released approximately 12-13 years later than FFVII. Also there's more fans now than there was back than. But are we judging by like the first week sales, or month? And we still have to wait until the game is released in the U.S. and Europe as well.

So yeah it's a tricky situation, but I think once the game hits outside of Japan, FFXIII will sell more than FFVII's initial release.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I seriously doubt it. I've already read a lot of articles about a lot of negative response in Japan about FFXIII, that it's incredibly linear, boring, and just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game-- or a game at all; a CG movie with RPG minigames, rather.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I thought that FF8 sold even more than FF7..
    I doubt that FF13 is going to outsell ff7/ff8, FF7 converted (and still converting) too many people into FF fans, and I think FF13 doesnt have that kind of magic..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> I thought that FF8 sold even more than FF7..
    It sold faster, but not more, and remains the fastest selling FF title to date. FFVII has sold over ten million copies to date. Bear in mind that that's over a span of twelve years, but in FFVIII's ten years of release it's only sold a total of 8 and a half million copies.

That's pretty darn impressive either way though.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

And if you count PSN sales the number for FFVII is probably much higher. It has been in the top 10 weekly downloads from PSN for like 3 months.

Regardless of Square's marketing techniques, I think that the atmosphere and characters (at a glance) in FFVII are much more appealing to mainstream western audiences than those of FFXIII. FFXIII seems to overkill with extravagance while FFVII had a much more... down-to-serious-business tone.