View Poll Results: Are you offended by profane music?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 2.63%
  • No

37 97.37%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are you offended by profane music?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire
    What if I don't want to deal with it?
    Too bad. Nobody has a right to not be offended dude, that's just the way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    the elderly people tend to agree with me about younger (middle-age) people today abusing their rights, so for those of you who think I'm immature, in your face. (No hard feelings.)
    I'm not sure if I've ever encountered a more self-defeating statement in my entire life.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

And the Bill of Rights IS being abused. I've talked to many people about it; the elderly people tend to agree with me about younger (middle-age) people today abusing their rights, so for those of you who think I'm immature, in your face. (No hard feelings.)

Someone's lived a sheltered life and is scared to step outside their safe zone. I think you've protected yourself too long and now need to grow some thicker skin to catch back up. Cussing is an expression, and a valid one at times. How else are you going to express extreme irritation/anger towards something? GOSH DARN IT!!! I don't ever ever want that sung. In any song. Ever

I also like some of the same media you like, as well as entertainment from the early 1900s. Have you ever heard of the Dean Martin Variety Show that was on during the 1960s and 1970s? I don't have the DVDs, but I've seen clips of it on the Guthy-Renker infomercial and on YouTube. I am also very interested in Time Life music collections (although I can't get them since I don't trust credit cards all that much). I highly doubt that many of today's stars will find their way into musical compilations in 10-20 years time; maybe some will, because there are some artists today that I like, but the rest most likely won't because they are too trashy to be considered "classic."

Then again, perhaps my tastes in entertainment are the result of me growing up around much older people. When I was younger, I never really got along with people my age; my true "friends" were much older than me, and perhaps that is still true now. They told me that even though people my age thought I was immature, the much older people told me that I was more mature than those others my age.
    Is that your final answer?

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Let's face it.
    Every kind of profanity and dirty conversation is commonplace amongst most households.
    For this reason, how can one be offended by profanity in music without being offended by modern lifestyle?
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Actually, I am. I hear it all the time, and I find it annoying.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Then that's your problem, not ours. No one's forcing you to listen to anything, so why the hell should our rights be infringed just so you can be happy? You're being ridiculously selfish.

Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat?
    Absolutely not!

Do we want our children listening to this raunch?
    That's up to the parents of said children. Not you or any law.

I highly doubt that many of today's stars will find their way into musical compilations in 10-20 years time; maybe some will, because there are some artists today that I like, but the rest most likely won't.
    And what data are you basing this on, aside from your blindingly obvious opinions? As you can clearly see from your poll, you are the only one who is offended by profanity here. Why should your opinions matter over the rest of ours when we clearly outnumber you?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    Why should your opinions matter over the rest of ours when we clearly outnumber you?

Then that's your problem, not ours. No one's forcing you to listen to anything, so why the hell should our rights be infringed just so you can be happy? You're being ridiculously selfish.

Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat?
    Absolutely not!

Do we want our children listening to this raunch?
    That's up to the parents of said children. Not you or any law.

I highly doubt that many of today's stars will find their way into musical compilations in 10-20 years time; maybe some will, because there are some artists today that I like, but the rest most likely won't.
    And what data are you basing this on, aside from your blindingly obvious opinions? As you can clearly see from your poll, you are the only one who is offended by profanity here. Why should your opinions matter over the rest of ours when we clearly outnumber you?
    It's not that I'm selfish, it's just that you can't ignore the minority. I speak for the minority, and while majority does rule, it still doesn't mean that it's a one-way street; it has to run both ways. The world doesn't revolve around me, but it doesn't revolve around you either.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

No one ever said it did, either. You have a right to not hear profanity, and no one's forcing you to hear it. No one's disputing it, either. However, if you demand censorship of it, you're infringing upon our right to hear it, which is not good-- especially when the obvious majority of people aren't offended by it!

The rating system should be enough. You can pick and choose the songs you want and buy them online. No point in companies bending over backwards

I'm sorry if I sound selfish, but sometimes, I feel like there is nothing for me. You guys hog everything up, leaving nothing for me. Maybe you are the selfish ones.

Edit: And Vyk, thanks for at least partially agreeing with me in that we need a content rating system, even if you still aren't offended by profane music.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

...what? Are you just scraping the barrel for things to say at this point?

There is plenty of music out there that has absolutely no profanity in it-- in fact, I'd say the majority of music out there doesn't! Go to any store that sells CDs and tell me how many you see with Parental Advisory stickers and how many you don't see with them. You don't even realize how blatantly incorrect that statement is.

If you can't find any clean music in lieu of profane music, you're not looking hard enough. Period.

Just so you know, Wal-Mart only carries 'clean' versions of albums. You want your disgusting censorship? Go there. Leave our rights alone.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

On another not, censoring is disgraceful as it is. It completely axes the meaning behind the lyrics when words can't be used.

None of the songs won't be used in compilations in 10-20 years time? No offence, but quit talking out your arse. I'm pretty sure that there will still be R&B comilations in 10-20 years containing songs containing more profanity than a Gordon Ramsey show.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

...what? Are you just scraping the barrel for things to say at this point?

There is plenty of music out there that has absolutely no profanity in it-- in fact, I'd say the majority of music out there doesn't! Go to any store that sells CDs and tell me how many you see with Parental Advisory stickers and how many you don't see with them. You don't even realize how blatantly incorrect that statement is.

If you can't find any clean music in lieu of profane music, you're not looking hard enough. Period.

Just so you know, Wal-Mart only carries 'clean' versions of albums. You want your disgusting censorship? Go there. Leave our rights alone.
    Yes, I have seen the number of CDs in the stores, and I estimate that about 50% of them have explicit lyrics.

By the way, I had nothing against you, but I get the feeling that you had something against me when I said I didn't like it, and then you guys trashed me for it!