View Poll Results: Are you offended by profane music?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 2.63%
  • No

37 97.37%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are you offended by profane music?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I wouldn't listen to rap if I got offended by curse words. So no they don't offend me in music at all.

And this confirms my hunch that you all wouldn't be offended. I still don't get why, though, or how it became much more accepted today.
    Is that your final answer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    And this confirms my hunch that you all wouldn't be offended. I still don't get why, though, or how it became much more accepted today.
    I don't think it is, really. Things that are obscene language now weren't in the past, and now things that were once consider obscene aren't. It's just a matter of cultural norms and mores changing with the times.

I'm not offended by it. I'm probably not going to like it, but I'm certainly not offended.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I with the majority. Not offended, but probably won't listen to it. Especially if it's over used, there's no need for the F-word 50 times in a three minute song.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    I don't think it is, really. Things that are obscene language now weren't in the past, and now things that were once consider obscene aren't. It's just a matter of cultural norms and mores changing with the times.
    Perhaps, but it still confirms my hunch.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    Perhaps, but it still confirms my hunch.
    Your hunch that those living within a culture are influenced by it? You're so innovative. Here's a prize

Nitpick @Bromance: I'm pretty sure societal norms are an aspect of societal mores. >_> Ignorrrrrrre meeeeee.

That's the reason why there needs to be a separate section in a music store and a separate chart on Billboard, along with special radio stations that only play profane music. I wonder what I would like to call it... perhaps "Extreme Hardcore Adult," so that this does not intermix with everything else. If you want to listen to profane music, go to the EHA section.

I also think the RIAA should establish a music content rating system similar to those used for movies and video games, so that they can determine what albums are suitable for what ages. They have one in place in Australia, established by the ARIA (the Australian counterpart of the RIAA), which goes as follows:

The current classification scheme was introduced on April 1, 2003, with the following four levels:

Level 1: WARNING: MODERATE IMPACT - coarse language and/or themes
    These recordings contain infrequent aggressive or strong coarse language and moderate impact references to drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity.

Level 2: WARNING: STRONG IMPACT - coarse language and/or themes
    These recordings contain frequent aggressive or strong coarse language and strong impact references to (or detailed description of) drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity.

Level 3: RESTRICTED: HIGH IMPACT THEMES - Not to be sold to persons under 18 years
    These recordings contain graphic descriptions of drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity that are very intense and have a high impact. They are not to be sold to anyone under the age of 18; proof of age is required to purchase these recordings.

Exceeding Level 3: Not To Be Sold To The Public
    These recordings contain lyrics which promote, incite, instruct and/or depict drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity in a manner that would cause outrage and/or extreme disgust to most adults. They are not permitted to be released, distributed or sold to the public.

If you're not offended by profane music, fine, but still, at least implement content ratings so that those who are offended (including myself) can be satisfied too.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Exceeding Level 3: Not To Be Sold To The Public
    These recordings contain lyrics which promote, incite, instruct and/or depict drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity in a manner that would cause outrage and/or extreme disgust to most adults. They are not permitted to be released, distributed or sold to the public.
    That would be an egregious violation of the First Amendment, wouldn't it?

If you're not offended by profane music, fine, but still, at least implement content ratings so that those who are offended (including myself) can be satisfied too.
    But why on earth should anyone bend over backwards just to mollify a bunch of easily-offended whiners? If we eliminated everything in the world that offended anyone in the slightest, it would be an incredibly boring world for the rest of us who are mature enough to suck it up and deal with it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Not offended at all, but I can get annoyed by it, like anything if it's overly repetitive.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, not only were the French troubadours the forerunners of modern music, but they were also pretty raunchy. Sexy lyrics aren't as new as you'd like to think they are. Unless you're just talking about generic boring swears like damn and hell, and I'm sure you can find plenty of those in hymns if you look in the right places

Even chaucer talked about s!

What if I don't want to deal with it?

Some profanities are more offensive than others. Words such as damn and hell are mild curse words that I can tolerate, but what I DO NOT want to hear are the more severe curse words, which I'm not gonna say, but you know what I'm talking about.

As for the content rating system, if the RIAA decides to adopt a content rating system (which I hope they do), to not violate the first amendment, drop the "exceeding level 3" rating, but still keep the previous three ratings. Then again, when it comes to freedom of speech, I still don't think it should be overly abused.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Nothing's being abused. If you don't like it, turn off the radio/tv/whatever.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat? Do we want our children listening to this raunch?

And the Bill of Rights IS being abused. I've talked to many people about it; the elderly people tend to agree with me about younger (middle-age) people today abusing their rights, so for those of you who think I'm immature, in your face. (No hard feelings.)

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

If you want to start going on about maturity, perhaps you should consider that your profile lists you as a 20-year-old male who, as I've gathered from your activity on EoFF, has his interests primarily in such media as Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, iCarly, and other media directed at tweens through children's television programming. It's fine if you like it, and I'm not knocking you for it, but it does make it a little bit more difficult to take you seriously.

It's the parents' and the individual's responsibility to censor content appropriately. There are already content warning labels on albums, there's already ratings on video games and movies. If a kid is going out and buying an R rated movie, an M rated game, or a CD with explicit content, I have less of a problem with the store selling it to the kid and more of a problem with the parents not aware that it's even happening.

Edit: Also, agreeing with old people does not necessarily make you more mature. I don't particularly regard the opinions of the older generations regarding new media especially highly, not because I don't respect my elders, but more because I've met very few who understand the current media trends enough to make what I would consider a valid opinion about it.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 12-27-2009 at 04:43 PM.