View Poll Results: Are you offended by profane music?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 2.63%
  • No

37 97.37%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are you offended by profane music?

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

50% have explicit lyrics?
    Take a gander in the 'Pop' section then.
    Very few have 'explicit' lyrics in them...and if, by explicit, you mean ones that even slightly relate to sexual themes or drug taking then you're screwed, cause most artists (even the most innocent looking) have that.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    50% have explicit lyrics?
    Take a gander in the 'Pop' section then.
    Very few have 'explicit' lyrics in them...and if, by explicit, you mean ones that even slightly relate to sexual themes or drug taking then you're screwed, cause most artists (even the most innocent looking) have that.
    Indeed, many artists have sexually-themed lyrics, but some are more offensive than others. Sex sells, but there has to be a limit. I actually like many songs with sexual themes, as long as it doesn't get too raunchy.
    Is that your final answer?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    ...what? Are you just scraping the barrel for things to say at this point?

There is plenty of music out there that has absolutely no profanity in it-- in fact, I'd say the majority of music out there doesn't! Go to any store that sells CDs and tell me how many you see with Parental Advisory stickers and how many you don't see with them. You don't even realize how blatantly incorrect that statement is.

If you can't find any clean music in lieu of profane music, you're not looking hard enough. Period.

Just so you know, Wal-Mart only carries 'clean' versions of albums. You want your disgusting censorship? Go there. Leave our rights alone.
    Yes, I have seen the number of CDs in the stores, and I estimate that about 50% of them have explicit lyrics.

By the way, I had nothing against you, but I get the feeling that you had something against me when I said I didn't like it, and then you guys trashed me for it!
    50%? Hardly.

I have nothing against you for not liking profanity in music. However, I do have a problem with your incessant whining about it and incredibly irrational demands that infringe upon the rights of people who aren't like you.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Information that helps parents with choosing what music they want their kids to listen or not listen to is enough. Radio channels often send censored versions of songs anyway, so that's not a problem (well except that every kid is gonna be able to guess what was meant to be there anyway).
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Well then, perhaps artists can make two slightly different sets of lyrics, with profanities being replaced by different, cleaner words. Two examples I know of are Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan; only the deluxe versions of their albums have explicit lyrics, while the standard versions have clean lyrics.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Like I said, buy your music at Wal-Mart. They only carry the clean versions of albums that have profanity in them. If there are no clean versions, then they don't sell them.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

In England, there is no such thing as a clean album.
    Also, changing the lyrics to something less 'explicit' undermines the song. The lyrics are written how the writer wanted them. If he/she wanted to talk about a certain content, or use a certain word, he/she isn't going to change it just to please a few people who don't like said word/subject. It would be like 50 Cent singing candy shop about flowers. It's a ridiculous idea.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Information that helps parents with choosing what music they want their kids to listen or not listen to is enough. Radio channels often send censored versions of songs anyway, so that's not a problem (well except that every kid is gonna be able to guess what was meant to be there anyway).
    Mirage took the words out of my mouth.

Depending on the radio station/TV channel, swearing is censored out. It just depends on their target audience.

Swearing doesn't offend me, though repeatedly repeating the f-word is not what I call artistic at all. However, there's at times a necessity to it.

Saying 50% of music has profane lyrics is quite ridiculous. You obviously either looking in the wrong place or just making stuff up.

THen give me your estimates: what percentage of popular music contains explicit language?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Think of it this way, SuperMillionaire. You are offended by profane language/themes. Now, suppose I am offended by anti-Christian themes (I'm not, but for the sake of discussion). I'm sure I could find a lot of other people who are, as well. Suppose my neighbour is offended by right-wing political music. He has a few friends who are of the same mind. Suppose my cynical friend is offended by love songs and finds them to cause him much heartache whenever he hears them.

Are record labels supposed to cater to all of these minority interests? Are they supposed to release versions of albums that censor all defiance of the Christian god, introduce labels to denote conservative themes? Are radio channels supposed to warn their listeners before each time they play a love song? You see, there's a world of difference between respecting minorities and catering to them. There has to be a limit to the lengths you go to make sure each individual is fully satisfied.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat? Do we want our children listening to this raunch?

And the Bill of Rights IS being abused. I've talked to many people about it; the elderly people tend to agree with me about younger (middle-age) people today abusing their rights, so for those of you who think I'm immature, in your face. (No hard feelings.)
    I love how you use the catch all that every group tries to use when they have nothing, bringing children into the argument.

Forcing censoring on all music is taking away a few random words that are arbitrarily decided to be profane. Would you like to have to paint pictures, but never be able to use the color yellow? It's really hard to paint without it.

Maybe it should be asked why you consider these words so profane

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Maybe it should be asked why you consider these words so profane
    In every possible case, it is a conditioned response. No one can be offended by a specific word unless they are told to be offended by it. That's basic psychology. For example, tell a very young child that the word 'apple' is highly offensive, and reinforce that. He will then consider it offensive until he realizes how ridiculous such a notion is, if ever.

I was told all my life that there are some words that are terrible and awful and offensive, and for a while, I believed that. Then once I was further exposed to such words from the outside world, I began to realize that they are just words. Nothing more, nothing less.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

It's not that I'm selfish, it's just that you can't ignore the minority.
    Sorry honey, if you live in a democracy that's how it works

Anyway, I think you just have a problem with music that deals with adult themes - not just profanity. It's like ... intensely easy to find music without profanity in it. The only time I've ever heard Bjork swear is in her song "Alarm Call" in the line "I'm no smurfing Buddhist but this is enlightenment." Likewise, Kate Bush has only one song I can think of where she swears - "Don't want your bull, just want your sensuality."

Actually, I'm just gonna take a quick spin through my playlist and list all the artists I find who don't use profanity: Antony and the Johnsons, Bat for Lashes, Blonde Redhead, Chad VanGaalen, El Perro Del Mar, Tegan and Sara, The Weepies ... there's probably a million more whose lyrics I don't know well enough to make the call on.

Though, I still think you'd have a problem with most of these artists because their lyrics - despite not using profanity - are still heavily adult and usually pretty sexually explicit. Likewise, they deal with topics like drug use, violence, abuse, et cetera and so on. I think that this stuff less offends you than it does frighten you because you apparently can't relate to it. Unfortunately, sex, drugs, and violence are all part of the "adult" world and most (ie. all but one of us) of us can relate to the ways these topics are covered in music.

Once sex and drugs don't exist, then we can stop singing about them

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

A lady I pretty much considered to be my adoptive grandmother had positively the filthiest mouth I knew of at the time. You can't just say 'older people say this, so it is.' You're just grouping all senior citizens into one group there, where they really are a varied bunch, having different opinions.

When I visited the United Kingdom, I was pretty much agape that a store in London would have phalluses in their window, facing the street! I was a young innocent 17 year old; why should I have to look at those filthy things?

The answer of course, is because they don't hurt anything. It is your mind doing most of the work when you allow yourself to be offended by dirty words and imagery. Things are easy to ignore. Becoming inured is not a crime and if you swing that way, it's not really a sin, despite what you might hear from the pulpit.

Anyways, yes, freedom of speech means that you will be exposed to this stuff. You cannot have it otherwise. Put on some headphones or something.

[edit- Statistics from my iTunes library:
    6197 songs, 1411 do not have lyrics and are not included in these numbers
    208 contain the word smurf
    151 contain the word
    101 contain the word damn
    4 contain the word
    240 contain the word hell
    100 contain the word sex
    5 contain the word penis
    3 contain the word vagina
    1 contains the word intercourse
    225 contain the word kiss
    1300 contain the word love
    101 contain the word peace
    318 contain the word sleep
    1296 contain the word time
    1 contains the word poop

Any other requests? ]
    Last edited by rubah; 12-27-2009 at 08:43 PM.