View Poll Results: Are you offended by profane music?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 2.63%
  • No

37 97.37%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are you offended by profane music?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    Once sex and drugs don't exist, then we can stop singing about them
    I hope we don't only sing about existing things. Rhapsody of Fire would go away forever.

Anyhoo, don't give a damn about profanity. Like anything, I only get annoyed by it if there is an overabundance that makes it seem like they aren't trying (works for movies, comedians, etc. also). If it's just in there, likely as emphasis or because that is the natural way for the person to talk, works for me. There are in fact plenty of songs where switching the profanity for "nicer" words would ruin them completely.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    1296 contain the word time

Any other requests? ]
    Yeah, how the hell is the word "time" a bad word?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only thing I was offended by in music is when they call women bitches and ho's in some songs, but it's happened so much that I've become desentized to it.

Not at all. But I swear myself now and then, believe that. Besides, a lot of parents tend to forget how they acted when they were 12. I hear 12 year old boys go on curse word bonanza the second their parents are out of ear shot. It's the time that it's coolest to say, and such. I think tweens swear more than anyone and adults grew out of finding it offensive and drop them here and there as well. Like Pill said, not 7 years old. I wasn't very sheltered to that sort of thing, though. I didn't swear around my parents as a child, but I never considered words to be off limits, either. Ah, I'm sure plenty of children are, so whatever.

I don't listen to good music and rarely hear it, though. At the very least, I can say the "I'm the mothersmurfing princess" in Avril's song 'Girlfriend' bothered me, but only because it was ridiculously unnecessary, not offensive. That's what I get for listening to music that's catchy but otherwise complete . :moo:

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Only rubbish music offends me.
    This.

If profanity fits, then it's all good.

Lol, SuperMillionaire needs to grow up.

7 Songs From Your Grandpa's Day That Would Make Eminem Blush | Cracked.com
    Your grandparents are full of crap.

As they grumble about how rap music is destroying civilization, what they don't mention is that the blues they were listening to in the 30s and 40s could be every bit as violent, sexually explicit and sometimes just downright insane as the worst gansta rap has to offer. Compared to some of these vintage lyrics the members of N.W.A are levelheaded concerned citizens, and Eminem's a regular damned feminist.
    Please don't double post. You can use the edit function on your earlier post to add to it. Thanks! -Rantz

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post

As they grumble about how rap music is destroying civilization, what they don't mention is that the blues they were listening to in the 30s and 40s could be every bit as violent, sexually explicit and sometimes just downright insane as the worst gansta rap has to offer. Compared to some of these vintage lyrics the members of N.W.A are levelheaded concerned citizens, and Eminem's a regular damned feminist.
    Educational and disturbing. Win!

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I totally forgot Lucille Bogan existed. Thxxxxxxxxxx~

Lots of times in life, you need to reach down in the gutter to your point across. I swear a lot, and have no problem if my music does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Only rubbish music offends me.
    This.

If profanity fits, then it's all good.

Lol, SuperMillionaire needs to grow up.

Please don't double post. You can use the edit function on your earlier post to add to it. Thanks! -Rantz
    True, but it still wasn't as commonplace back then as it is now! And maturity does not mean you have to tolerate profanities. Why do you think I'm immature just because I can't tolerate popular entertainment with explicit content?

By the way, let me make this clear: I NEVER SAID that you can't listen to explicit music. If you want to, fine, but I still want to curb it just a little bit. I'm not stopping you from listening to explicit music; I just want to put explicit music in its own "adults-only" section. I'm borrowing these concepts from other sectors in popular entertainment such as movies and video games.

Forgive me for being judgemental, but I guess I became like this because I felt that everyone else was judgemental of me, and persecuted me for my differences with them. In turn, I felt very disdainful of them because of that.

With that said, I want to settle our differences by finding an "in-between" rule that satisfies everybody. I don't want the battle to rage on, but I don't want to surrender either; what I want is a treaty, or "tie," so that everybody wins and nobody loses. I will not rob you of your rights to listen to explicit music, but I still want to censor it so that I can be happy too, so I hope that you can still approve of a content ratings system, and perhaps, we can work on it together.

This is my concept for the musical content rating system:

ADVISORY (UNRESTRICTED) RATINGS:
    Y (Youth) - mainly aimed at young children
    E (Everyone) - suitable for all ages
    PG (Parental Guidance) - parental guidance suggested
    SG (Special Guidance) - special guidance suggested
    SM (Semi-Mature) - recommended for semi-mature audiences (highest unrestricted rating)

RESTRICTED RATINGS:
    PPO (Parental Permission Only) - children under 16 cannot obtain these recordings unless given permission by a parent or guardian; must show ID
    MAX (Maximum Adult Explicit) - no one under the age of 18 is allowed to obtain recording with this rating; ID is required.

This is my content rating system concept so far; if you want, you can give me some input to tailor it to suit everybody, or perhaps even come up with your own rating system concept (as long as you come up with one). Thank you for your consideration.
    Is that your final answer?

You didn't say we can't listen to things, but you did suggest that they shouldn't be sold to us

Edit: Why are you trying to find a rule for the middle ground? The RIAA isn't going to randomly stumble across this thread and take your rating system into consideration :x

What I meant was, if you want to get explicit music, just show an ID. It's the same with video games and movies when you go to the theaters, am I right?

And I hope to send this to the RIAA someday.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

And maturity does not mean you have to tolerate profanities.
    Yes it does. Tolerance of minor issues is something very much related to maturity.

By the way, let me make this clear: I NEVER SAID that you can't listen to explicit music. If you want to, fine, but I still want to curb it just a little bit. I'm not stopping you from listening to explicit music; I just want to put explicit music in its own "adults-only" section. I'm borrowing these concepts from other sectors in popular entertainment such as movies and video games.
    Actually, yes you did. You clearly said you wanted music with explicit lyrics to be censored, which means that we can't listen to said music as it is meant to be heard. You're also treating music as a medium that's just as depraving as movies and video games when I notice a serious lack of evidence in such a concept.

but I still want to censor it so that I can be happy too, so I hope that you can still approve of a content ratings system, and perhaps, we can work on it together.
    No need. It's fine as it is.

Also, your rating system is pointlessly complicated. Your Y and E are essentially the same thing. The same goes for PG, SG, and SM. Hell, the same goes for your PPO and MAX-- not to mention the latter are essentially the same as the Parental Advisory label now, with limitations one would put on a carton of cigarettes.

I fail to see what is wrong with the system as it is right now. If a child's parents were responsible, they would not allow their child to listen to things that they should not be listening to. If they choose to allow it, that's their choice. You have absolutely no right to interfere with that.

Again, I must ask, why are you so intent on censoring music? You don't even listen to it! No one's forcing you to listen to it! Why should everyone else have to bend over backwards just so you can be satisfied about something that doesn't even involve you, as you do not even listen to it?! Do you even realize how tech-savvy kids are these days? They'll download the damn music if they can't get their hands on it legally-- even more so than they do already. Do you intend to support that as well, when they have the available alternative of buying it, just so you have a little piece of mind that there won't be any albums that have offensive content in plain view that just make your poor sensitive eyes just melt out of your face?! It's not like you can hear the music from staring at the CD case. There is a Parental Advisory system in effect already. Many stores will not generally sell albums with Parental Advisory labels to anyone under 17 without parental consent. Anything more than that is ridiculous, and asking for more than that just so you can be satisfied is selfish.

Allow me to give you an example of how irrational this is.

I can't stand cigarette smoke. I can't breathe when people smoke around me. I think cigarettes should be banned from all stores, or at least removed from my sight, because for some reason, their existence makes me ill. There is already a law that states that anyone under 18 may not purchase them, and anyone who isn't obviously older than that must show ID. I don't like that! Let's bump the age to 21 for no reason, other than the fact that it would bring me peace of mind that my peers under the age of 21 can't smoke around me! I don't smoke, but I totally have the right to demand pointlessly strict laws so I, a non-smoker, can be more satisfied with it.

There. I provided an example of something that is actually harmful to me and the person smoking, and I still felt absolutely ludicrous typing all of that, and that is because no one is forcing me to smoke, and I'm not forced to be around people who do. I can just as easily do the mature thing and say 'Hey, uh, cigarette smoke triggers my asthma-- I'll be back when you're done'. Simple as that. However, there are children who are forced to be around cigarette smoke, in a house where their parents smoke. What about them? If you're going to demand stricter laws on something, how about something that actually has a definite cause for concern instead of 'ohhhhh, that word offends my poor sensitive ears, not that I even bother listening to it~ take it away, take it away!'

To me, you are the ones who are selfish, not me. You tend to exclude the minority, and to me, THAT is selfishness. I speak on behalf of the few who do take offense to it. There may not be anyone here in the this forum, but elsewhere.

When I said I wanted music to be censored, I didn't actually state that you can't listen to it. If you want to listen to it, that's fine with me. Just don't expose me to it; remember, listener discretion is advised. And don't view me as immature, because I think all of you might just be mature in the wrong way.

And do music stores in America really require ID proof that you are 17 years of age or older to buy explicit music? I haven't seen that clearly stated yet; I'll believe it when I see it. I know that in Australia, they definitely have this rule in place, because I have done research on it. If Australia does it, why not America?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

To me, you are the ones who are selfish, not me. You tend to exclude the minority, and to me, THAT is selfishness. I speak on behalf of the few who do take offense to it. There may not be anyone here in the this forum, but elsewhere.
    Right, right. I'm selfish because a minuscule number of people aren't happy with something that doesn't smurfing affect them. Get over yourself.

When I said I wanted music to be censored, I didn't actually state that you can't listen to it.
    But that's what censorship is! Do you not even know what it is?! It ruins music by putting a bunch of distortion or silence over words that may offend people like you. Why don't you just back off and censor what you listen to, and tell whatever friends you may or may not have that are supposedly offended to do the same. After all, listener discretion is advised.

Just don't expose me to it; remember, listener discretion is advised.
    I don't know how many times I have to say this. NO ONE IS MAKING YOU LISTEN TO IT.

And do music stores in America really require ID proof that you are 17 years of age or older to buy explicit music? I haven't seen that clearly stated yet; I'll believe it when I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia, on Parental Advisory
    Some retailers (such as Wal-Mart) refuse to sell albums containing the label, and many others limit the sale of such albums to adults only, although, most stores have settled on an age limit of 17 in order to buy an album containing the label. In some countries, however, such as the United Kingdom, albums displaying the sticker are available for purchase by persons of any age. While the label is mostly prevalent on rap and rock albums, it can appear on any genre of CD which the RIAA believes warrants the need for one.
    link for proof

I know that in Australia, they definitely have this rule in place, because I have done research on it. If Australia does it, why not America?
    Because America happens to have a minute amount of sanity in that area. Why don't you just spare us all your whining and move to Australia? That way, we all win.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't mind swearing, but I get irritated when I feel a singer is swearing for the sake of swearing.