View Poll Results: Are you offended by profane music?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 2.63%
  • No

37 97.37%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are you offended by profane music?

I don't want you to view me as an immature troll, and I'm sorry for what I did. It's just that... well, I felt as if you persecuted me for not liking explicit music, so I wanted to defend myself. Please don't view me as immature or a troll.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 12-28-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I'm not mad.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Nobody was persecuting you for not liking explicit music. I don't think anyone really cares what your attitude towards explicit lyrics in music is. What people have been raggin' on you for is your insistence that explicit music be censored. You're asking for a rather extreme solution to a problem when there's a much simpler one: don't listen to the music. I can't think of any public venue you're forced to attend where explicit music is played. Radio already bleeps out a majority of the profanity, but even then, you don't have to listen to the radio.

I rue the day when a society is forced to cater to the whims of every individual. One's rights stop where another's begin. I'm not forcing you to listen to explicit music, so I'm not infringing on your rights. But demanding that music be censored across the board because it offends you does infringe upon my right to listen to it.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I'm not mad. The technique I just used, as well as what you just used, is called "damage control."
    Pro-tip, damage control is typically more effective if you don't point out explicitly that's what you're doing.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It doesn't bother me unless it's like that one Limp Bizkit song that was like "if I say smurf one more time that's forty-six smurfs in this whole smurfing rhyme."

Though that's just annoying, not offensive to me.

Nobody was persecuting you for not liking explicit music. I don't think anyone really cares what your attitude towards explicit lyrics in music is. What people have been raggin' on you for is your insistence that explicit music be censored. You're asking for a rather extreme solution to a problem when there's a much simpler one: don't listen to the music. I can't think of any public venue you're forced to attend where explicit music is played. Radio already bleeps out a majority of the profanity, but even then, you don't have to listen to the radio.

I rue the day when a society is forced to cater to the whims of every individual. One's rights stop where another's begin. I'm not forcing you to listen to explicit music, so I'm not infringing on your rights. But demanding that music be censored across the board because it offends you does infringe upon my right to listen to it.
    Sorry, I guess I might have taken you the wrong way. But please don't view me as immature or a troll just because I don't like explicit music of other forms of entertainment with explicit content.

I think the numbers in your own poll suggest that you are in the ridiculously overwhelming minority here. And once that is the case,

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien
    Think of it this way, SuperMillionaire. You are offended by profane language/themes. Now, suppose I am offended by anti-Christian themes (I'm not, but for the sake of discussion). I'm sure I could find a lot of other people who are, as well. Suppose my neighbour is offended by right-wing political music. He has a few friends who are of the same mind. Suppose my cynical friend is offended by love songs and finds them to cause him much heartache whenever he hears them.

Are record labels supposed to cater to all of these minority interests? Are they supposed to release versions of albums that censor all defiance of the Christian god, introduce labels to denote conservative themes? Are radio channels supposed to warn their listeners before each time they play a love song? You see, there's a world of difference between respecting minorities and catering to them. There has to be a limit to the lengths you go to make sure each individual is fully satisfied.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I guess I might have taken you the wrong way. But please don't view me as immature or a troll just because I don't like explicit music of other forms of entertainment with explicit content.
    Broken needle much? Its your insistence that such profanity be censored because if offends you whether or not such censorship breaches free speech is what annoys everyone!

Yes, indeed, I am, but still, please don't ridicule me for disliking profane lyrics.

How are you being ridiculed? Your argument is being ridiculed because it contains innumerable logical flaws, but I don't see anyone launching a personal attack on you here.

Oh... then I'm sorry, I guess I distorted you and took your motives the wrong way. When I first said that I don't like profane/explicit music, one of you said something that I mistakenly took as an insult, and decided to defend myself. The thing is, I don't tend to realize I'm doing wrong as I do it; it's always before or after, and never "during as."
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 12-29-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Can't see the forest through the trees. Always good to take a step back and take a good objective look at things. Almost as good as hindsight. But a lot harder :}

I know, Vyk, tell me about it.

Its okay dude. You didn't offend anyone

Thanks a lot. I'll post up some more oddball musical mashups again soon.