Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main character issues

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm more concerned about the lack of homosexual main characters, maybe all games are homophobic?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I'm more concerned about the lack of homosexual main characters, maybe all games are homophobic?
    That's more to do with target markets than anything else. Gay people will probably play a game with a straight main character, but I think a sizeable portion of the straight market won't play with a gay main character.

Banned

There's a lack of homosexual main characters in the FF series?

Default True...

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    That's more to do with target markets than anything else. Gay people will probably play a game with a straight main character, but I think a sizeable portion of the straight market won't play with a gay main character.
    Plus here in the southern US people would organize boycotts against Square as well as against the vendors selling the games.

It would be such a headache for Square it's simply not worth it.

I've been blasted on other forums for pointing this out.

I'm not homophobic but homosexual characters would be problematic for the game.

I don't think stereotypes are racist.They're just that,stereotypes.And every "race" has one.Not just races,everything has a stereotype.
    Racism is a hatred for people from another race.

And Barret is AWSOME.

You know what would be racist? If the villain was always a black guy.

perhaps if Cloud referred to Barrett as "Yo nigga" there would be a case

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    There's a lack of homosexual main characters in the FF series?
    Hahahahaha I thought the same thing!

There have been homosexuals in RPG's before. Take that tranny from Enchanted Arms. ... That's all I got, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone suing over that.

I don't think the games are portraying racism. I agree with what Shiny said, yeah the characters are targeted for Westerners but I saw a lot of Asian features in X, AC and a bit of XII. If they were trying to work in a racist message they wouldn't have been so subtle about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow people, the man's trying to have a serious conversation and some of these replies are a little thoughtless.

For the record, racism is the belief that one's own race is superior to all others. Prejudice, or discrimination is what most of you are referring to. For example, you can't be "nationalist" against France.

I agree that it's a general shame that so many groups are underrepresented in stories, especially as protagonists. You have to understand, though, that it's written from someone else's perspective, and it's hard for them to take that step. That's one thing I love about Spawn, Todd McFarlane, some white Canadian hockey-loving dude, in making the independent stand-in for Spider-Man or Superman, actually stepped up and made him an African American, who was an atheist republican in life, making him more complex than just a face. He also dealt with many issues as well throughout the series.

As far as FF goes, we have to keep in mind it's Japanese, and there's so many thing tied up in "race" over there that few of us on this site could paint an insightful picture. I think in recent games Square Enix maybe have gotten a little better. Tidus, for example, may have Blonde hair, but his skin tone and eyes make him seem like he has a little bit of the Pacific Islands in him. Cool amalgamations like that are a good direction.

It is a serious problem that for many groups there is a lack of exposure of positive role models. This would go a long way to diversifying the decision making process in the USA and abroad.