Thread: Stick to the CG Character Designs?

Default Stick to the CG Character Designs?

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Dissidia section.

For Firion and The Emperor, would you have preferred it if they used the Final Fantasy Origins CG character designs for Firion and The Emperor, rather than Yotroutako Amano's designs?

Here are pictures for each of them:

Emperor:

Firion (second from the left):

I personally would've liked the Origins designs better, for no other reason than them looking cooler. Although the designs could be tweaked a bit like giving Firion his bandanna.

...though I'll admit that'll look a bit out of place since the FF IV-VI characters were based on Amano's artwork.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

The Emperor was David Bowie from the Labyrinth in Dissidia so no, I like the Dissidia one more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Big "NO". The CG characters from Origins look just plain wrong to me. They look nothing like the original characters and come out bland compared to Amano's elaborate art.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The CGI of the Emperor is based off another Amano drawing and if you notice, Emperor Mateus' alternate costume is based on the color scheme.

Big NO on Firion cause the CGI versions all look terribly generic and look like they could be from any fantasy game they don't even really resemble the in-game sprites. The Amano Firion designs are awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The CGI of the Emperor is based off another Amano drawing and if you notice, Emperor Mateus' alternate costume is based on the color scheme.

Big NO on Firion cause the CGI versions all look terribly generic and look like they could be from any fantasy game they don't even really resemble the in-game sprites. The Amano Firion designs are awesome.
    That is just what I mean.
    About the Emperor - could you give me the link or something? 'Cause I don't think I've ever see the artwork, and the CG version always looked to me lika an Ultimecia with "a cute fringe".

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

File:Amano Emperor.jpg - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research

This is the alternate pic but really the only thing that is majorly changed is his color scheme. The Cgi shares a similar color set up with the alternate outfit as opposed to the usual "golden emperor".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They do have a similar design... But still, the CG one looks like a woman and his assumed "originality" comes from his outrageously designed nails. Although, he still is the most tolerable of the CG designs.

Also, I absolutelly hated the "voice-overs" in that clip. I mean, half a tone higher and Maria would be panting in ultrasounds.

I personally prefer the designs that they stuck with for DISSIDIA, but that's not to say that I didn't like the CG designs. However, it does bug me that the CG designs look almost nothing like the Amano artwork.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

Definitely the ones they used for Dissidia, no question

What happened to the rest of Maria's pants? And the Emperor's nail technician made him look like old Mrs Myers from the trailer park with the peroxided hair and leopard print pants.
    I agree, very generic, boring character designs. Makes you wonder if Square even give a !@#$ about FF2 or if they were just doing it to deliver the goods. Amano's designs were way better.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

No because they are really really really ugly also they look ollllllllllld.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Agreed. Amano is much prefered.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think the fact that you had to mention which character was Firion is evidence enough the design is too generic. Amano all the way.

In my opinion the CG Emperor looks way cooler than the Dissidia one. That's a Final Fantasy anime villain how he should be.

Firion definitely not.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Not to mention, amano art is awesome.