Thread: Would You Consider Cecil To Be Antisocial?

Default Would You Consider Cecil To Be Antisocial?

I can't really recall the sites where I read this from (I think they were Dissidia sites), but they considered Cecil to be an antisocial person.

I don't really see him as antisocial. I mean, he is the leader of the team and he talks to important people a lot like the King of Fabul, the Mysidian Elder, and other people in high positions. He also seems to have no problems when it comes to talking to others. He isn't really hesitant in his speech or he doesn't try to cut conversations short.

The only instances where I can think of Cecil acting remotely antisocial was how he was hesitant to say good-bye to Golbez, though that was more of a forgiveness issue than an antisocial issue.

So what do you guys think?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, considering that antisocial is one of those terms that is used loosely in modern language without a proper understanding of its meaning (see Cloud=Emo debate) I can safely say Cecil isn't truly antisocial otherwise he would have murdered his entire party or intentionally led them all to their deaths.

In terms of whether he was a loner, I would say he wasn't. Kain is a far greater loner than Cecil and even then I don't feel the term quite fits Kain either. I feel that Cecil is a conflicted character who has willfully done a lot of things he really stood against and has a hard time sometimes accepting the terrible things he has done. I feel what I genuinely like about Cecil is that even though he is apologetic about his past actions he eventually reaches a point where he consciously tries to redeem himself. In a way he's like the anime character of Kenshin from Ruronin Kenshin who is both painfully aware of their past mistakes but holds a positive outlook towards the future and a strong will to redeem themselves by living in the present and building a better future.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Cecil cares too much about other people, I dont think thats antisocial..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Here's one of the sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Guide
    Cecil is a man with great Courage, will and loyalty. Cecil is very preserved, without hesitation or backing down from ways to accomplish a means. However he is stoic, meaning he has problems showing happiness, joy, and sadness. He is also shy, and dislikes social events. His greatest asset is his noble and courageous heart.
    I guess I misinterpreted shy for anti-social. Though I still don't think Cecil is shy. I might've gotten anti-social from another source.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Well, considering that antisocial is one of those terms that is used loosely in modern language without a proper understanding of its meaning (see Cloud=Emo debate) I can safely say Cecil isn't truly antisocial otherwise he would have murdered his entire party or intentionally led them all to their deaths.
    I was thinking the same thing. The antisocial personality disorder is different from what others consider antisocial behavior. If you think that Cecil has an aversion to social situations, then I would have to disagree. Cecil leads a party of friends to save the world and encounters many strangers and unknown people in the process and he is not timid or underwhelming in those situations.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    Here's one of the sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Guide
    Cecil is a man with great Courage, will and loyalty. Cecil is very preserved, without hesitation or backing down from ways to accomplish a means. However he is stoic, meaning he has problems showing happiness, joy, and sadness. He is also shy, and dislikes social events. His greatest asset is his noble and courageous heart.
    I guess I misinterpreted shy for anti-social. Though I still don't think Cecil is shy. I might've gotten anti-social from another source.
    No worries, I had a feeling it was more about shy than anti-social.

I really can't see it, Cecil is pretty happy to chat with people, loves the ladies, and is pretty eager to help people. Even in the opening sequences, its obvious that Cecil has great respect and assertive authority over his crew of the Red Wings.

In the IV version of the Ultimania, it is stated that Cecil had a bit of a social problem growing up as he was adopted by the King but apparently shunned by the nobles cause of his unknown and possible common heritage. This is actually another factor in the Kain/Cecil/Rosa love triangle that is never given proper form in the games, cause both Rosa and Kain come from noble families and Rosa's father was a member of the Banon Dragoons. Still, none of this is really shone in the game so i doubt that was what the author was implying.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Yes, supplementary materials for Final Fantasy IV give a lot of background information not found in the game itself.

A lot of interesting facts can be found on our very own forums, but if you are interested in reading more about the world of Final Fantasy IV and Cecil Harvey, you can find information in these translated documents for Final Fantasy IV.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    ^ This. Most people think that "Antisocial" means someone that doesn't enjoy talking with other people or something along those lines or someone that hates doing so. It's a similar situation with how most people think that Schizophrenia means split-personality.

A figure clad in armor. Darkwolf090's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Acerbus Lupus (Mysidia)

One thing to add to this whole thing...
    Cecil=Womanizer his favorite magazine is called "Smut" and he does enjoy talking to the stripers...

P.S. GOOD TO BE BACK BABY
    Last edited by Darkwolf090; 02-03-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    I care not for harmony nor discord. - Golbez
    It is better to die and be remembered forever, then it is to live on and have no one know your alive. Do what you want, hold nothing back!