Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

issue 203 is out already; where's my copy?

Blog Entries

/v/ just posted scans of a review from some American gaming magazine, where it gave it 70%. Reading it, the game seems very, very mediocre. (SPOILER)HATE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO LOL

there was a picture here

To me it sounds almost like an action game with lots of straight forwardness. Honestly, God of War is very linear... Uncharted 2 was very linear... etc. Most big games that everyone loves are linear.

Every other genre out there is pretty much linear, except when an RPG does it, it's a bad thing. But to counteract it, sounds like they made the battles more fast pace and action oriented. I am all in favor of this. Maybe not for every RPG I play, but I certainly can enjoy a game like that every once in awhile. If the gameplay is as good as it seems and everyone says it is, I'm sure I will enjoy playing.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    /v/ just posted scans of a review from some American gaming magazine, where it gave it 70%. Reading it, the game seems very, very mediocre. (SPOILER)HATE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO LOL
    Game still sounds good to me. So don't know who you are referring to here.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    LOL A review agrees with my opinion, I told you my prophecy of doom about this game was right LOL.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I just couldn't agree with his review cause I do feel linearity detracts from a game and story should never compromise gameplay especially how extreme XIII does it. I might have a different opinion after playing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    ^The problem with FFXIII's design choices (and every other RPG the uses the same ones) is that if you don't happen to like the story and characters then the game is ruined.
    I didn't liked the characters in FFXII but because of its open ended design the game let me enjoy its other strong points (exploration,battle system,atmosphere) and i ended up liking it.My first playthrough was more than 300 hours (i didn't use a guide while trying to complete everything) and i still have lots of things left to do for my second paythrough.

I think a lot of developers today are getting too much inspiration by movies when they should be looking at the strengths of the video game format instead.
    As stated about linear action-adventure games, I can't really complain about this stuff. And considering I loved Xenogears sacrifice of gameplay for finishing the story. Good point though, I enjoyed the story. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the game as whole as much if I didn't. So hopefully FFXIII's story is worth the sacrifice

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

how dare they make it different from previous games!

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc View Post
    how dare they make it different from previous games!
    This is absolutely intolerable!

Linearity! That's maddening. I want to be lost in a world, forget about a story and not be able to remember what's happened after going through and meandering across these open plains for hours for no apparent reason! Story based gameplay, and this battle system. OMG! I HATE IT! RAHAWHAD ADGADFA SDF IF THESE SCONES COULD TALK!

The thing that i noticed in the few reviews that i've read so far is that the scores doesn't really match the reviewers opinions.
    Your read a review for the analysis, not the score. A score means nothing if you don't understand why it was given the marks it had.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

I think I'll wait with reading more reviews until the game is out so I can make up my own opinions instead of being infuenced by others.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I got the GI in the mail and read the review. 9.5 is still extremely high, so I probably won't dislike the game. I never ever disliked any game that received that high of a score from many critics. They have their complaints though with the story, which I think I should ignore because some reviewers just don't like the type of stories found in JRPGs and I don't know how they felt about IX's story, actually I remember them making a jib saying that no one uses Quina in their party like with Cait Sith in VII.

Who knows what other crazy stuff they might've said about my game.

I gave up believing those review sites a long time ago. I remember XII getting 40/40 and 10/10, but I would give it a 4. Same with MGS4.

They usually base it on some sort of agenda or on graphics. Story is most important to me. From what I am seeing, 13 has done exactly what MGS4 did:

"Let's have 10000 dumb long cutscenes as a substitute"

I really hope this isn't the case.

I have a saying "With Graphical power comes responsibility" Most of these latest games on PS3 and end of PS2 seem to have no responsibility, and it is this same reason I often dread a remake of VII

Bahamutto's reader review of Final Fantasy XIII for PlayStation 3

Reviews like that aren't making me feel confident about this game AT ALL.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 02-16-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

13 really doesn't have a long cutscenes from what I heard. There are many, but not long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    13 really doesn't have a long cutscenes from what I heard. There are many, but not long.
    Don't worry. They are long enough. And the ending lasts about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by LowCaloriePie View Post
    The thing that i noticed in the few reviews that i've read so far is that the scores doesn't really match the reviewers opinions.
    Your read a review for the analysis, not the score. A score means nothing if you don't understand why it was given the marks it had.
    Um,thanks but what made you think i care more about the scores than the actual reviews?

I only mentioned what i observed.
    Of which if you also take into account how much publishers believe that scores affect people's buying decisions,makes it kinda suspicious.