Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    If you are playing a game for purely the story, it isn't a game you should be playing. The cinema is the place for that.

Who says that?

The most important thing in Final Fantasy is the story. And I love Final Fantasy XIII because of its story and the awesomeness of Final Fantasy XIII itself. I am enjoying every single minute of it. The story and the atmosphere of Final Fantasy XIII makes it one of the best Final Fantasys even with linearity.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

You don't need to play it or read reviews, you can watch it on youtube and judge from there.
    That has to be the stupidest way ever to judge a videogame.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    And I'm not surprised the reviews are here and there. Like most Final Fantasy games, the hype is enormous. It will be torn apart and analyzed much more than other games.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    And I'm not surprised the reviews are here and there. Like most Final Fantasy games, the hype is enormous. It will be torn apart and analyzed much more than other games.
    This is true.
    Pretty much every FF game from FFVIII onwards has had some people on release moaning how it's the worst FF game ever, it seems to be a common theme with every new one in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    You don't need to play it or read reviews, you can watch it on youtube and judge from there.
    That has to be the stupidest way ever to judge a videogame.
    How can it be stupid when you are seeing the game in progress? I use reviews AND watch it to create a more full opinion of it. There is no question that the criticism of its linear nature is valid, its cutscene fest valid, its straight line monster attacking valid.

In fact pretty much every main criticism is true and you don't need to know japanese to see that played out on video. The only question remains, how good is the story?

You cannot judge properly a videogame by watching a video of it, it kind of misses the most important aspect, playing the damn thing.

'There is no question that the criticism of its linear nature is valid, its cutscene fest valid, its straight line monster attacking valid.'

These are all subjective things, so saying there's 'no question' of them makes no sense.

'In fact pretty much every main criticism is true'

Says you. On watching a video seemingly.

You cannot judge properly a videogame by watching a video of it, it kind of misses the most important aspect, playing the damn thing.

'There is no question that the criticism of its linear nature is valid, its cutscene fest valid, its straight line monster attacking valid.'

These are all subjective things, so saying there's 'no question' of them makes no sense.

'In fact pretty much every main criticism is true'

Says you. On watching a video seemingly.
    The video of it as a walkthrough IS THE GAME. You do not need to PLAY it to KNOW IT. If you watched a full walkthrough of VII you could easily tell if it was linear or if the story was bad or if it had a good battle system.

Are you suggesting to me that by playing it you are given amazing powers of understanding or new vision that your eyes would not otherwise have had? Do you realise how preposterous that sounds?

Reading reviews, reading from people who have played it and then watching a proper video walk through are the best ways to judge a game before buying, and when you do watch it, you can immediately see the following:

1 line map
    battle
    cutscene
    long battle
    1 line map

Auto attacks by AI, numbers flying all over, deliberately high HP bosses

And so on. The only thing you cannot tell from a walkthrough at present is how good the story is and that is only because it is in Japanese. I will wait until a walk through is released in English and from watching the first 3 hours I will know whether I even want to rent it....

Have a good look:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I chose that at random. if you watch it surely you will geta good idea about how the game works. I did.

And so on. The only thing you cannot tell from a walkthrough at present is how good the story is and that is only because it is in Japanese. I will wait until a walk through is released in English and from watching the first 3 hours I will know whether I even want to rent it....
    3 hours? That's too short.

Many things happen in these first 3 hours but you should take more time for it.

'If you watched a full walkthrough of VII you could easily tell if it was linear or if the story was bad or if it had a good battle system.'

If I watched a full walkthrough of FFVII I'd get very bored fast, despite FFVII being a great game. There's few things more tedious than watching someone else play a game. Playing the game is a very different experience.

'Are you suggesting to me that by playing it you are given amazing powers of understanding'

Yes. Yes I am.

And I honestly don't care if it's linear or not.

Then I suggest you go watch a walk through, because it tells you a lot. A lot more than a review ever could on its own

I've seen walkthroughs. They're boring. Hence my point.

I've seen walkthroughs. They're boring. Hence my point.
    Whether they are boring or not isn't the point. The point is they show you more than a review can tell you.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

They will show you more than a review, but they are still a far cry from the complete picture. As I said earlier, I plan on buying this game. Even if it doesn't live up to the promise inherent in being a numbered FF title I find it doubtful that it won't be worth playing.

I personally don't have a boatload of spare time on my hands, so watching hours of video walk through isn't something I would seriously consider. Right now I am just hoping I have the spare time to log an hour a day when it is released. Not to mention it would really wreck the experience when I actually did get to the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I read the one that playstation magazine did. It was pretty okay, I'm still unsure on what to think. I'm not taking really no one else's opinions on mainstream FF titles. I'll have to see for myserlf on the wquality of it. oh man, am I tirded?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    The most important thing in Final Fantasy is the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Who says that?
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.