Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

Thread: Reviews

Default I can see where all of this is headed...

Been there and done that....on gamefaqs arguing with people about FFXII back when it came out.
    I have been through all that before.
    First it was me, then others came on my side and we argued with the people who thought FFXII was the best FF ever made until it got so acrimonious and so brutal I quit gamefaqs altogether and left.

The people who love FFXIII don't care what reviewers say about it or that a lot of players don't like it.
    They like it and that's all that matters.

The people who don't like FFXIII or who have what they believe are valid criticisms about the game won't listen to what the people who love it say either.

So all this arguing won't change anyone's mind one way or the other.What most likely will happen is that the mods will have to step in and close the thread and may end of banning the people who got into the worst of the arguments.

If you like the game fine.Keep it and play it.

If you don't like the game then don't bother playing it. Wait and see if Versus is more to your palate when it comes out.

That's my advice. You can do of course whatever you want.

It's quite fun to read this back and forth, and far be it from me break in too much, but I have some questions for Elpizo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Every FF has things about its plot that don't make sense unless you check a guide, so don't go pointing at how bad XIII is for this. Unless you can explain me where Necron comes from, or Ultimecia's background story. Or what exactly NeoExDeath is. Or how exactly the Emperor became the lord of hell. Or... See? Point invalid, moving on.
    How is it dumbed down and less involved? I seem to remember in X having only 2 slots, and some stupid upgrading system one never used anyway. Again, you blame XIII for having something other FF's have had.
    How do either of these invalidate his points? Just because previous games in the series had a feature or flaw does not take away the right to complain about it showing up in a more recent game. Maybe I missed a point you made, but it citing poor mechanics and storytelling from one game to say you can't complain when they pop up in another sounds ridiculous.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Having read 1 paragraph, you obviously didn't read my posts, the many from professional reviewers or the user reviews. So quite honestly, I am not reading the rest of your reply. I don't play this tired game anymore, whereby I make a point with Hyperbole and it is the hyperbole that is seized on and not the argument, or half truths, straw men come backs. I don't bother with it anymore....I simply state the reply and switch off. If you had something to actually say and your point accepted that there are flaws in this game (and tons of them) fair enough, but trying to convince me nothing is wrong with weak arguments and ignoring the comebacks means I just say nightty night.

Have a nice day

So many cutscenes are thrown in just to show off the landscapes, and FMVs are regularly thrown in just to be a glorified tech demo for the White Engine. XIII looks stunning, that much is true, but that's all it is. A looker. XIII is vapid, shallow, and intensely self-satisfied. All it cares about is displaying its peacock feathers and trying to distract us from the ludicrous plot with bright colors and audacious effects. Even the battle system is clearly putting graphics first, putting fast-paced visual acrobatics before substantial gameplay.
    What a nice way to avoid admitting you were beaten. Fact is though, my boy, that I did read your post. I never said "nothing was wrong" with XIII. You simply say that in an attempt to make what I said seem void, because you can't come up with a good defence, nor can you deny that you're a liar.

All I did was call YOU, yes YOU, a liar with your screams of "XIII has no minigames!" "XIII is a movie!" "XIII doesn't have towns!". Had you actually bothered to read instead of trying to act smart, you would know this.

You accuse me of "ignoring comebacks" and all that stuff when you are no hair better. You know what that is called? Hypocrisy. A liar and a hypocrite, you're becoming more less likeable with the minute.

Fact is, this is what you do:
    Step 1: Scream "XIII has NO towns! NO NPCS! NO Minigames! NO Qidequests!" I come in and call you a liar, because this is not true. You are hating XIII based on lies, and this is the truth.

Step 2: You don't like somebody finding out what you are, so you bring in reviews and arguments that actually make sense (such as "I don't like the sidequests in XIII!", which is fine, that's your opinion.). Then, with this backing you up, you scream how I "did not read my post at all!" and am defending with void arguments, just so you can get satisfaction out of discrediting me.

I don't give a bloody damn about what you think about the sidequests, or the minigames, or the NPCs. Because that's an opinion and you can have it, be it logical or not. I don't give a smurfing smurf that you are a blind sheep licking reviewers' heels. I don't even care you're disrespectful to everybody who does like the game, saying that whoever doesn't share your likes and views is a mindless "SE sheep", because why should I care about what a hypocrite thinks of me?

What I DO care about is that you scream PURE LIES during your hate such as "XIII has NO towns!" or "XIII has NO sidequests", and expect me to take those points serious, when I have played the game and know it is not true. If you wouldn't scream these laughable lies in the first place, I wouldn't even be talking to you, or care about you at all.

Can your brain grasp this, or is it too filled with XIII hate and spite of me to do so?

That said, I'm done. You're a liar and a hater who hates for the heck of it, and I'll leave it at that.

PS: I like how you only cited bad reviews. Because yes, that's so believable. You'e quite the mindless sheep, licking the reviewers' nipples and having no opinion of your own. See what I did here?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ANGRYWOLF View Post
    Been there and done that....on gamefaqs arguing with people about FFXII back when it came out.
    I have been through all that before.
    First it was me, then others came on my side and we argued with the people who thought FFXII was the best FF ever made until it got so acrimonious and so brutal I quit gamefaqs altogether and left.

The people who love FFXIII don't care what reviewers say about it or that a lot of players don't like it.
    They like it and that's all that matters.

The people who don't like FFXIII or who have what they believe are valid criticisms about the game won't listen to what the people who love it say either.

So all this arguing won't change anyone's mind one way or the other.What most likely will happen is that the mods will have to step in and close the thread and may end of banning the people who got into the worst of the arguments.

If you like the game fine.Keep it and play it.

If you don't like the game then don't bother playing it. Wait and see if Versus is more to your palate when it comes out.

That's my advice. You can do of course whatever you want.
    This man speaks the truth and has seen the future! *insert cheezy 50's style sci-fi terror music*

With that said... Yeah, you people need to either agree to disagree and move on with your lives or just walk away. I don't mind a good argument about the pros and cons of the game but when snide remarks and personal attacks are thrown in their it starts to become less than a debate and everyone loses their credibility. cause now your just attacking each other.

Consider this your warning

FFXIV Character

I'm not even debating about the game, it's pros and cons or whatever. I'm saying he's lying when he screams "XIII has NO towns! It sucks!" "XIII is a movie, it sucks!" "XIII has no minigames, it sucks!" and that he needs to stop that. That's all there is to it. Because it has towns, it is not a movie and it has minigames. End of story. Whatever his opinion on those towns, non-movieness or minigames is, I don't give a flying smurf about.

This is not even a matter of opinion and "you can't be right or wrong". It's a matter of facts he's denying and lies he's spreading. If you consider this a personal attack, Wolf, it's not, it's the simple truth. You have played the game, and you know as well as I do that it's not a movie, has towns, has minigames and all the stuff haters say XIII doesn't have. Instead of scolding me for it, you should put an end to the lies.

Again, I don't care what he thinks of what the game has. I do care about the fact that he's spreading lies on the board when he's calling XIII a movie, a townless or minigameless RPG. But apparently I'm the only one who thinks hating a game based on lies is silly and not a good ground for opinion and makes a real debate impossible, so okay, let it be then.

*shrugs*

If you consider this a personal attack, Wolf, it's not, it's the simple truth.
    Just a hunch, was probably talking about crap like this.
    You'e quite the mindless sheep, licking the reviewers' nipples and having no opinion of your own.
    Also, calling someone a boy in a debate is obviously an attack on maturity and intelligence, and an attempt to discredit them by inplying they are childish. Just saying.

Again, I don't care what he thinks of what the game has. I do care about the fact that he's spreading lies on the board when he's calling XIII a movie, a townless or minigameless RPG. But apparently I'm the only one who thinks hating a game based on lies is silly and not a good ground for opinion and makes a real debate impossible, so okay, let it be then.
    I think it's more your one of the few who are taking his hyperbole as fact when most see it's not how he means it. I highly doubt seifer literally thinks that FFXIII is something you can throw on your DVD player. It's more that because of the linearity of the game, coupled with the cutscenes, that he feels it's too much like a movie in presentation. Yes, other games and FF's are this way too, big deal. If he doesn't like it he doesn't like it. Same with minigames; he conceded that there are in fact minigames in FFXIII. However, because they are (apparently) few and not as engaging as say, FFVII's Golden Saucer, he says there are none. It's the same as saying Twilight has no good acting; I'm sure somewhere in that movie there's a good part or two, but compared to something Oscar-worthy it falls quite short. You seem to be taking this as a personal crusade against anyone badmouthing a game you like. Not that seifer is much better, as he's thrown in his share of personal jabs, but to someone outside this "debate" you certainly seem more riled up and emotional about this.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

FFXIV Character

Then he should say so. Because, believe it or not, there ARE people out there and even on this forum who would be confused by his choice of wording and take it literally. Me, I admit, being one of them. I'm not at all bothered by somebody not liking a game I do, it happens all the time, and I don't give a smurf. I'm bothered by his choice of wording, which makes it seem he's lying. How many times must I repeat this before it gets through?!

As for the insult, note that I copied his insult. He used the exact same wording first, and I turned it against him. Thank you for failing to notice this. And maybe I shouldn't call him boy, but whatever, that's the least of my worries.

Then he should say so. Because, believe it or not, there ARE people out there and even on this forum who would be confused by his choice of wording and take it literally.
    Oh I believe it. Hard not to with how you've been carrying on. Doesn't mean that his choice of wording is wrong because some people don't get it. If I had to sit and think about everything I posted to make sure someone didn't misconstrue it and get butthurt I'd probably do it a lot less. Maybe you could try being more open-minded and see if your perception of what someone is saying is wrong before flying off the handle.
    I'm bothered by his choice of wording, which makes it seem he's lying.
    So it seems he's lying now; I thought he definitely was 100% a little while ago?

As for the insult, note that I copied his insult. He used the exact same wording first, and I turned it against him.
    Just because being pedantic is fun:
    Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2
    You might buy any crap without bothering to check it thoroughly before hand, or blindly suckle on Enix nipples, but I and a few others don't.
    You'e quite the mindless sheep, licking the reviewers' nipples and having no opinion of your own.
    Anyone, to the actual point: you do realize "he did it first" is about the worst possible excuse for doing something? There's this thing called being the bigger man where you just ignore little snide comments because they are meaningless. Getting all pissy about them and returning the favor endears you to no one, particularly in a forum with mods who tend to just look at who's breaking the rules, whether you started it or not. Even in real life, who looks better: the guy who makes personal attacks, the guy who responds by making more, or the guy who responds by continuing the discussion? Something to remember.

Thank you for failing to notice this. And maybe I shouldn't call him boy, but whatever, that's the least of my worries.
    No problem. Also, I don't care if it's your worry or not: you claimed no personal attacks, so I was showing how that was incorrect.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

My reaction to this thread, "Lulz."

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

FFXIV Character

Oh, he's still lying if he says XIII is a movie, that's for sure. Okay, since you too need 100% correct wording, I'll say it: it doesn't seem like he's lying, he IS lying. Happy?

And I don't give a damn if "he did it first" is a bad excuse. I'm not at all for the "turn the other cheek" pacifist smurf. So keep your speeches to yourself, I'm not at all interested. Fact is that "you shouldn't react" is a crap argument anyway, since people shouldn't start in the first place if you don't want bad stuff to happen. So instead of waiting till reaction happens, the mods should weed out the insults of whoever wants to start it, instead of picking on me for "childishly continuing it".

I also did not claim no personal attacks. I claimed he started it, and I continued, and I don't mind if I did. If the mod's wanna ban me for it, then they should do so, whatever makes them happy that they could roll some muscle again.

And actually, if a choice of wording makes his words a lie, it is bad. Unless you too think XIII is a movie, and then I'll call you a liar, too, without a second thought. While your argument that you can't keep everything in mind might be true, there is a huge difference between, for example: "XIII has no minigames, it sucks!" or "I don't like the minigames XIII has, it sucks!". It's an entirely different meaning, and no amount of excuses of "he just worded it badly" is gonna change this. Please explain how I can approach "XIII has no minigames, it sucks!" and not conclude that he's saying "XIII has no minigames at all, it sucks!". You can be as open-minded as you want, it really won't change the meaning. And thus, he lies, simple as that.

It would be different if he said "The minigames in XIII suck". I won't attack him for that, I know that's only his opinion speaking. He doesn't have to clearly state "I think the minigames in XIII suck" for me to get that. But if you say "XIII has no minigames, it sucks!" and want me to get "I don't like the minigames XIII has" from that, then you're asking too much. You're basically asking me to read a as a b. That is stupid.

It's not at all being butthurt. Unless in a forum you like it when people use lies to back themselves up.

But sure, keep all attacking me for not taking it that he calls whoever likes the game a mindless SE sheep. Or for stating lies. Because Elpizo is the big bad evil here, the one with bad arguments, the one who insults, the one the mods should take action against, as he always is. It's never the other, oh no, Elpizo is rude and butthurt and close-minded. Well, fine, so be it, if that's what I have to be in exchange for saying I'm not a mindless SE sheep and that I don't like lies being told about a game. It doesn't even matter to me if that game is XIII, or IX, or smurfing Milon's Secret Castle. If you say MSC is a FPS, I'll call you a liar. If you say XIII is a movie, I'll call you a liar. And if you don't like it, don't lie about it in the first place.

Done.

It is rather simple, you aren't capable of debating this game without allowing your love of it to cloud your judgement, and you aren't actually reading what my arguments (and 100 other peoples, I suppose they are lying too?) are saying.

This is why I have read only the 1st paragraphs of both your latest posts and have not bothered replying directly to anything. There is no lie here, so let me go through it and word it properly for you:

1. The game has around 10 hours of cutscenes where there is no interactivity and these regularly break up gameplay at regular intervals.

2. Movies are not 10 hours long so this is actually worse

3. Part of the team spent 2-3 days polishing single rocks that appear for less than 3 seconds which is a serious waste of resources and a clear indication that massive amounts of wasted money and effort went into the graphics.

4. The game has been dumbed down for mass market appeal and thus much of the game can be beaten by selecting scan and /or autobattle. Often just button mashing works.

5. There are 2 AI characters, and sometimes you are stuck with just your main character + 1 other. Cheap dynamics like casting death and doom on main character because if he dies, it is game over. But don't worry you can be straight back in the same battle again..

6. For much of the game you can't even choose your own party

7. Summons are near useless in this game and have perhaps the most stupid animations ever. It is all designed for eye candy

8. There are few minigames, much less than 7,8,9 and 10, and those that there are are poor. The devlopers defended this by acknowledging it was hard to do in HD.Please stop telling people this issue doesn't exist when the developers agree that it does.

9. Sidequests that there are are monster related, and since there are tons of battles already and nothing to break this up usually, it is same old crap.

10. There are few towns and the ones that there are are not as involving as previous. The devlopers also blamed this on HD. Please stop telling people this issue doesn't exist when the developers agree that it does.

11. There are no interactive NPC's and those NPC's there actually are are few in number compared to 7-10 and do not enhance the plot much.

12. Treasure is hardly hidden and can be more or less guessed at on the map

13. This game is the most linear entry for any final fantasy game ever made. It is literally 1 line for much of the game and you are forced forwards and are not allowed to backtrack or revisit much of the places (as you are allowed to in X) Please stop telling people this issue doesn't exist when the developers agree that it does.

14. The number of stats have been reduced/dumbed down and so have the actually equipment

15. Dropped items often succeed things you "bought", rendering them useless.

16. The levelling crystal is capped so that you cannot go past a certain progression and every character can be anything (unlike X where you were blocked off for most of the game and all characters devloped separately)

17. Interactivity is down to a bare minimum. Your job now is manager and not selecting how best to proceed with the battles (AI can do all that for you, isn't that wonderful?). No mana, no real intellectual stimulus. In fact this game, for the most part, is battle and cutscene.

18. It takes around 20 hours for the game to finally open up and allow you the same freedom most other FF's gave you ina short period of time.

19. This game has diveged so much from what an RPG (mana, towns, NPC, stats, and all the rest) is that it no longer qualifies as such.

20. Ones I have forgotten. Yeah there will be some but since I have had enough of repeating myself I can't be bothered checking. I think I have made my point.

Things I do not know are true but are regularly cited:

1. The story is a mess, a contradiction
    2. The story is cliche driven and overly melodramatic
    3. The characters on the whole are annoying, hope being singled out as worst offender. Sazh being singled out as the best character.
    4. The dialogue is childish and poorly written

------------

and again my review:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...-thread-2.html

and a full user review:

GZay2Stay's reader review of Final Fantasy XIII for PlayStation 3
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 04-04-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

seifer:

I remember reading a post in which you claimed to have not played XIII. Have you played it at some point between that post and now? I'm genuinely asking.

No but I have read a lot more reviews and watched on youtube a lot more. My ps3 was sold as a result of FF13 and MGS4.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Wait, wait, all this arguing about a game you admit you haven't even played? I don't see how you can expect anyone to take you seriously.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Since communications have obviously broken down, I see no point in keeping this thread going cause its obvious its going to get worse before it gets better.

ANGRWOLF's prophecy has come full circle, REPENT FOR THE TIME IS NIGH!!!!