Thread: Worth getting?F

Default Worth getting?F

After beating ff1 for nes, I am considering getting 2. I use an emulator to play, so getting it is no prob. I have heard from a lot of people that the battle/level/magic system was less than par. Do you think its worth getting and playing through?

For the sake of your sanity, play the GBA or PSP version. The amount of rebalancing they gave it almost makes the game a bit too easy, but it beats the amount of time you'll spend grinding in its NES/PSX counterpart.

Blog Entries

Go balls to the wall and play it on the NES or PSX. If you've been playing the NES, it will feel like preschool to play the GBA or PSP versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Go balls to the wall and play it on the NES or PSX. If you've been playing the NES, it will feel like preschool to play the GBA or PSP versions.
    I think I will. Only reason I wouldnt is because I heard it took a while, and watned to play some other nes games(Mario,Zelda,Metal Gear,Megaman, few others) before school starts when I have more time. The story seems pretty good.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFII is a game I feel everyone should play at least once. I also recommend playing the NES/Famicom or PS1 version. The leveling system tends to divide fans and you should at least play the easily manipulated original incarnation of the system.

I played the GBA version of II once, and thought it was okay. I hadn't heard any of the negative reviews about the leveling system at that time, so I was unbiased. But, even though I was okay with the game, I never made a point to go play it again. Until recently, that is. So I did it again, and this time I didn't like it as much. I agree with the above posts that it's a game you ought to play once, but you might not feel compelled to go more than once.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

FF II is a great game and very underrated, as far as I'm concerned. I had all sorts of fun with the GBA version. I know the NES version has ways to really cheese through battles with glitches and stuff, so if you really get stuck you can always use that method, I suppose.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It's one of my least favorite FFs, but that doesn't mean I necessarily dislike it. It was a bold move by Square back in those days because not only was the battle system totally revamped, but the story was also gut wrenching and very dark. I mean, back then games were thought to be mainly a children's medium, so that takes some stones, man.

I would say that I liked playing the GBA version the best because the flow of the game is much improved and some prices were far more reasonable!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Hmm, maybe I'll give this a shot at some point. I have heard mainly negative things about this game, and was considering giving it a pass overall, since I've played a little and it didn't catch me. I shall give it another shot! :}

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I played this game a while ago on PSX, but have abandoned it due to other priorities. I think after reading this thread, I should replay it. I do enjoy a dark storyline...

I'll have to start over, though. I forgot where the hell I am in the game. ;.; .....

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've never played FFII, but I'd give it a try. Same with FFI.

If you're an uber fan, it's worth getting and beating just to say you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFII is very much a FFVIII kind of game. They both have experimental battle systems that turned out to be highly abusable and basically break the game even if you weren't trying to do so. In both games, every run through I've ever done I always go nuts at the beginning of the game to make sure I have every one ready and fully junctioned/stocked in VIII or levelled up to at least 4 in all weapons and available spells in II, and the rest of the game is usually a joke after that. I honestly can't even think of one playthrough of FFII where I actually fought enemies on anything even resembling even ground. The Adamantoise boss is the first and last enemy in the game to give me any pause at all every time. Similarly, in FFVIII, the Elvoret boss is the first and last boss to ever give me any trouble. After that I'm just too powerful for any enemy or boss to take more than one or two hits.

So if you're thinking of playing FFII and making a "normal" RPG experience out of it, just keep the FFVIII addage in mind - don't grind, even though it's so, so easy to do it. Of course, if you're just playing it for the story or to say you did - grind your balls off early and enjoy the free ride.
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

They both have experimental battle systems that turned out to be highly abusable and basically break the game even if you weren't trying to do so.
    He's right! But also he forgot to mention that they're also pretty fun - again, which he did mention, as long as you don't grind. Being a JRPG, though, grinding is kind of the norm so both games were doomed from the beginning.

You should definitely play 2. The battle system has that realistic tang to it that anyone who isn't a soulless nerd can appreciate. It also represented a prototype movement away from the typical JRPG build that would be cemented with the job system during the next installment (the interchangeable job system).