Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 2

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    I borrowed ME from a friend a while back and got real damn far in it, but had to give it back. I thought it was awesome but I wasn't dazzled by the combat (not to say it was bad) and the parts where you were driving around planets to mine ores and in your little Rover couldn't have been more boring. Also the elevator sequences pissed me off although there were some funny announcements. That being said it is likely I will pick up Mass Effect 2 at some point down the road, probably not on launch, 'cause if possible I wanna finish the first.
    I thought all of the Mako sequences were really well paced. They always seemed just the right length to keep them exciting without being so short they were unsatisfying.

The PC version's load times were significantly shorter, I guess, so I never minded the elevator scenes. I went into the game expecting to despise them, but I never understood what all the complaints were about. I think a lot of the time the elevators were extended to accommodate the announcements for me. So, I'm a little disappointed that they're out.

Looking forward to buying this on the cheap cheap after a while. I really did love the first game, but I'm a tightwad, so...

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Looking forward to buying this on the cheap cheap after a while. I really did love the first game, but I'm a tightwad, so...
    I'm going to have to agree. I was all set on getting this once I could rustle up the money, but the money tree never sprouted. I'm looking forward to getting it in like 10 years time when I do have the cash

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Finished a playthrough of ME1 to carry data over for tomorrow night. I've got class all freaking day tomorrow, so I'm gonna be getting a late start. So stoked.

My suitemate is all over himself about this game, and is gonna be playing it solely until beating it with both characters he is bringing over. I personally couldn't get into ME but I'm gonna give ME2 a try once he's finished with it. Maybe it'll grab me this time. Luckily I know the story thanks to him and watching him play through his Renegade character.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

No comments on this game since release? Odd.

Well, while I'm downloading and installing one of the DLCs that came with it, I might as well give my opinion thus far.

It has been an excellent experience this far in. The characters and dialogue are tops, and generally exceed my expectations, which takes some doing, after the bar ME1 set. Squad building and research are nicely done.

The missions, though, are probably my favorite thing. Each one is a long, involved recruitment or team building excercise. It may sound odd, but it really works. It keeps the story flowing, and the missions are diverse and fun.

Still adjusting to the new combat style (and, even worse, the adjusted controls). But Infiltrators, my class of choice, are now insanely deadly with a version of Assassinate that also cloaks them from view and lots of various damage boosts.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I can see how people can have issues adjusting to the RPG 'downgrade'. It is weird not being able to check my inventory.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wait, what?! You can't check your inventory? =\

I played my friends copy for two hours today. Very fun, I actually may finish this one as opposed to getting bored after four hours like the first. Playing as an Infiltrator and totally being a Ruthless jerk. I hope I'll be able to transfer save files over once I acquire a 360, or I'll have to play through it again. Of course if it's that good it shouldn't be a problem...
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    The inventory system in Mass Effect drew such huge criticism they almost completely removed it. Rather than an inventory of items, new equipment is unlocked as you progress. Before each mission, and occasionally during mission checkpoints, you can change which weapons you carry, or which armor you wear.

There are only a few variations on weapons this time. Rather than 10 different grades of 15 manufacturers of Pistols, for example, there are 4 or 5 different types through the game, with much larger differences between them. A fast weapon with low power but a lot of ammo, a slow but powerful pistol, etcetera.

Armor is broken down into body parts (shoulder armor, head armor, etcetera), but rather than being strictly damage absorbtion, each upgrade gives a particular type of boost. A monocle similar to Garrus's from ME1, for example, boosts headshot damage by 10%, while a straight helmet yields +5% health.

Rather than pure stats, ability augmentation is the primary focus of your squadbuilding and min-maxing. It is a fairly large change, and takes some getting used to.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

is me2 better than fallout 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    The inventory system in Mass Effect drew such huge criticism they almost completely removed it.
    Thank God.

I picked it up on Tuesday but have yet to play it. I'm going to start it up tomorrow afternoon once I'm done with classes and possibly play it all night. I need to fix my sleep schedule some how and this gives me the perfect opportunity. Let's just hope I don't go insane before then.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I give thumbs up to the sounds of the new inventory system (or lack thereof). The original was balls and confusing and made me not care about weapons and armor eventually. I just sorted through til I found something that made the little stat bars turn green instead of red.

I can't wait to plaaaaaaaaaaaay~ Is the demo on XBL? Ohhh, and I do hope that they took the Mako out. That was stupid yo.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    The inventory system in Mass Effect drew such huge criticism they almost completely removed it. Rather than an inventory of items, new equipment is unlocked as you progress. Before each mission, and occasionally during mission checkpoints, you can change which weapons you carry, or which armor you wear.

There are only a few variations on weapons this time. Rather than 10 different grades of 15 manufacturers of Pistols, for example, there are 4 or 5 different types through the game, with much larger differences between them. A fast weapon with low power but a lot of ammo, a slow but powerful pistol, etcetera.

Armor is broken down into body parts (shoulder armor, head armor, etcetera), but rather than being strictly damage absorbtion, each upgrade gives a particular type of boost. A monocle similar to Garrus's from ME1, for example, boosts headshot damage by 10%, while a straight helmet yields +5% health.

Rather than pure stats, ability augmentation is the primary focus of your squadbuilding and min-maxing. It is a fairly large change, and takes some getting used to.
    Man, I had no problems with it the way it was. =\

The weapons system sounds gay. The armor seems decent enough.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was a bit o_O about the inventory thing, so thanks for explaining. It sounds pretty good, and it's definitely good to have fewer things with more difference than to have fifty options with bugger all variance.

Tomorrow... :hux: