Thread: Hype

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Default Hype

Is it a good thing for you, or does it tend to ruin things?

With the exception of movies, it always makes it a more enjoyable experience for me. Especially for games. I like to go into heavily anticipated games like OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST THING EVAAR and get as excited about it as possible. It makes flaws so much easier to ignore, and sometimes I even find them endearing when I really shouldn't.

With movies it just leaves me a tad disappointed when it doesn't live up to my expectations xD

Of course this isn't true with horror films. If someone tells me a horror movie is the scariest thing they've ever seen, I will be scared when I watch it. Like, OH MY GOD IT'S A SHEET WITH HOLES IN IT GHOSTS ARE SCARY ;_;!!!

Banned

It has no effect at all. In particular hyped up music that I hear from other people is never as good as they say it is. 90% of the time, it's much worse.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Hype ruins a lot of stuff for me to the point where I pretty much ignore it now. When something is hyped to be super good, I almost always end up disappointed.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm the kind of person that doesn't take notice of hype (unless I need to use it in a review or something*) I just try things out and make up my own mind. On a similar note, I don't pay attention to whether anything is a "fad" either, or whether is unerversaly hated - I make my own mind up.

*by the reviewing remark, I mean if I review it and it's good, I'd say it deserved the hype, and if it's crap I'd say it didn't, if that makes sense...

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    Hype ruins a lot of stuff for me to the point where I pretty much ignore it now. When something is hyped to be super good, I almost always end up disappointed.
    Same here. After Watchmen, I just started ignoring internet hyped movies.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hype has ruined too many things for me so I tend to ignore it. I take everything on skeptically but I find this method allows me to enjoy things more when they are genuinely good.

I was really skeptical of P3 when it came out but by having such low expectations, I was blown away by how amazing it really was. I now fear that my praising it so much to my friends on this forum might accidentally result in the game getting too hyped up and leaving people disappointed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Hype creates monmey and some day I'll be using hype for business so I'm all for it.

Hype is a terrible thing that allows underrated pieces of drivel to be considered good long before the person knows what the smurf it is they like.

I'm mostly immune to hype, though sometimes it does make me appriciate something less then I would have otherwise, though it's never ruined anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Hype has ruined too many things for me so I tend to ignore it. I take everything on skeptically but I find this method allows me to enjoy things more when they are genuinely good.

I was really skeptical of P3 when it came out but by having such low expectations, I was blown away by how amazing it really was. I now fear that my praising it so much to my friends on this forum might accidentally result in the game getting too hyped up and leaving people disappointed.

Well if they don't appreciate the game for the master piece that it is then their bitch ass's don't deserve to play it.

I used to get hyped for games but I usually ended up disappointed. Now I ignore it and I generally don’t get excited for any game that comes out. I work on I’ll believe it when I play it philosophy.

Blog Entries

Not a fan a hype. Especially, I suppose, when it comes to games. I'm big on renting, or asking around for opinions and playing demos before committing to a purchase. Watching a bad movie sets me back only a small fraction of what buying a bad game would.

I didn't want to like Bayonetta, but it's awesome.