Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two is Just as Bad as One

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Two is Just as Bad as One

But one is the loneliest number that will ever dooo.

Matt Damon once said during an interview that there are few sequels in this world that are better than the first; one of which he said was the film, Godfather II. Although Final Fantasy II is not actually a sequel, do you think it's better than the very first Final Fantasy? Why or why not?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

No because the level up system sucked ass. The story was tons better though.

Also Terminator 2.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I played thirty minutes to an hour of Final Fantasy II shortly after I finished Final Fantasy for the first time.

I feel like Final Fantasy II was a bold step in a different direction. That being said, I think it may have been a step in the wrong direction judging by how few games with similar experience systems are out there.

I think it was an important milestone for the Final Fantasy series because it established that each game would be different from the next and inspire the innovation and creativity that brought us games like Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI. If this trend had not started, maybe Final Fantasy would have shared the same fate as the Dragon Quest series? Compare any of the Dragon Quest games. The variations in the gameplay are minor.

I preferred Terminator 2: Judgment Day to The Terminator, and I prefer Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy II.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    No because the level up system sucked ass. The story was tons better though.

Also Terminator 2.
    Yeah, I agree with all of this.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I liked I and it's simplicity better. You got these four guys who went from point A to point B and beat the crap out of everything between. The customization for II was fun though and had nice boss music too.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

2 years ago I got Dawn of Souls and finished FFI within a few weeks. I still haven't finished FFII. I guess my actions speak louder than my words would.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

No. The level up system spoils the entire game for me .

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't mind FFII, I prefer FFI but to be fair, I've spent more time with FFI than II due to it being released out here. Since I'm building a FAQ, I may need to start a new game.

I was never bothered by the experience system, I actually enjoyed it on some occasions except when I decided to power level spells I don't even use...

I honestly don't know why so many people don't like the skill-up system of FF II. It's really simple and honestly is not bad at all. I actually like the fact that they let your characters use any weapons you want. From my experience, you can just go through the game naturally [without having to do training sessions], and the skill-up system just ends up taking care of itself. I never had to struggle with any boss in particular either. The only hardcore leveling I'm doing is to level spells for Ultima, only because I'm curious to see how much damage it can dish out.

The story is also a heck of a lot more interesting than FF I as well.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The experience system of Final Fantasy II was probably too different than Final Fantasy to catch on with a lot of people. If you play it as a separate game without any attachments to Final Fantasy, then you may have a better experience with it.

Personally, I would have found it easier to play Final Fantasy II if I had not played Final Fantasy.

On the other hand, I think most people can agree that the story of Final Fantasy II is better than the story of Final Fantasy. The developers have mentioned before that the story of Final Fantasy II was created first and the gameplay was modeled after the story. This video, Final Fantasy Retrospective - Part 2, gives some more information on the early development of Final Fantasy II.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some of the things, like the dungeons and music, were better than the first game to me. But it's not one of the ones I'd really like to play again.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do think the music in Final Fantasy II was a step-up from the first FF. In regards to the leveling system, the one FII was not necessarily awful, but it did have major loopholes. I do think the simple leveling up raising HP and MP in FFI is better. As for the story and characters, I can't really say much because I haven't completed Origins yet.

You people crazy. FFII stands strong in its own right as an FF.. and to say that 1 was bad is.. bad. If you think 1 is bad you're derelict in your duty as an FF fan. You either like it..or you make yourself like it. Or you're not allowed to play any final fantasies ever!!1 yes.. I went there.

If you play through 2 enough(not giving up 5 minutes after stepping out of Altea) you will realize it establishes many of the reoccurring themes that appear throughout the olde games(and sometimes spotted in the new).

Chocobos, lamias, behemoths, evil empires, dragoons, cid, all that good stuff started with this game. It's pretty much the most important installment - for the obvious reason that it would continue the series ad infinitum, but because it was the beginning of a lot more classic FF elements that would stay foreva.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Darkbad View Post
    You people crazy. FFII stands strong in its own right as an FF.. and to say that 1 was bad is.. bad. If you think 1 is bad you're derelict in your duty as an FF fan. You either like it..or you make yourself like it. Or you're not allowed to play any final fantasies ever!!1 yes.. I went there.

If you play through 2 enough(not giving up 5 minutes after stepping out of Altea) you will realize it establishes many of the reoccurring themes that appear throughout the olde games(and sometimes spotted in the new).

Chocobos, lamias, behemoths, evil empires, dragoons, cid, all that good stuff started with this game. It's pretty much the most important installment - for the obvious reason that it would continue the series ad infinitum, but because it was the beginning of a lot more classic FF elements that would stay foreva.
    And I totally agree
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

You know, the skills do level up fairly regularly. You can bop around Altair killing gobalins and every now and then your stats go up regardless of whether or not they should. The only things that actually depends entirely on your input are spells and weapons affinity.

That said, I can't say I liked this game over I. I like Firion as a main character, but pretty much everyone else is forgettable. The sheer uselessness of physical attacks against most bosses and later enemies in general bugs me, especially with the piss-poor amount of MP you start out with. The music is kick-ass though.