Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    It was a woeful ending and you're all being fooled by sentiment.
    I'm only quoting this post to make it four in a row, but on topic I will say I agree with you, though how you interpret the ending is subjective based on how you viewed the show.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm right all your opinions are wrong and that's the end of the matter. Now if you'll excuse me I have eggs to polish.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    If you watched the entire show besides the finale you wouldn't hate it...After seeing the finale you might be a little disappointed but the journey to the finale would have made you love the show.
    I'm the exception to this, apparently. I loved the series as a whole, I've watched it from the beginning multiple times, and I hated the finale. HATED it. The only part, for me, that made it worth watching was VINCENT!!! and the Sayid and Shannon reunion.

Seriously. The whole time I was just sitting there WTFing. I am so beyond disappointed. The CORK? The magic light? The-water-makes-you-Jacob? Seriously? Was this the plan from season one? SERIOUSLY?

Also, I'm not a Kate hater at all and the fact that the Sawyer and Kate relationship was basically not even MENTIONED pissed me off a LOT. Jack and Kate together makes me nauseous.

One thing I don't get is Jack's son. How does he exist if it's, like, purgatory? It doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    I never watched this show before, but I hear ya'll ended up with what equates to a six-year Rick Roll. I lol'd.
    YES.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

You hated the ending (fair enough) but thought the Sayid-Shannon reunion was one of the only highpoints? That was the one really rubbish pairing throughout the whole of Lost! (OK, Sawyer and Ana Lucia's one time fling as well was stupid)

Also this is great:
    If Lucasarts Had Made A Lost Game...In 1987...
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 05-30-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I think Lost has sparked the same controversy as FF8. Gotta love it or hate it.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Well, from what I heard, I would've hated it. Those kinds of endings make me throw things. I guess it makes sense since supposedly the rest of the entire show didn't make sense. I'm sure I would've liked it if I had watched it but, after reading about how they ended it, I'm glad I didn't 'cause I would be one of the people really, really unhappy. xP
    Seriously. You can't play up the mysteries as a significant part of the point of the show and then cop out and say "It's all about the characters". The show wouldn't have made it to season 2 if it hadn't been for the numbers, the hatch, the polar bear, the smoke monster, Rousseau, the Others, Jack seeing his dead father, all that stuff. There were a lot of great and interesting characters on the show, but really, I stopped watching once I accepted that there were never going to be any answers. And once they killed Rousseau.

Midichlorians is a crap comparison because the Force was sufficiently explained, coherent, and understandable that it didn't need an explanation like that, and to give it one devalued it. That is, Star Wars works without it, and the whys and wherefores didn't need to be answered.

You cite things like the polar bear, Jack seeing his father, the smoke monster - a lot of these things are explained through, at least partially. There are some answers, but whether you're happy with the ones there were (and what is left open) is a rather subjective area. And it's pretty much the factor that's split people into 'love' or 'hate' camps.

And the Force is 'sufficiently explained, coherent, and understandable'? It's one of the vaguest concepts going (in what it actually is) in the original trilogy.

That said, I'll say again it was annoying that Whidmore was such a red herring - no respect at all for Jim Robinson there
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 05-30-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    You cite things like the polar bear, Jack seeing his father, the smoke monster - a lot of these things are explained through, at least partially.
    That wasn't the point he was making. The point was were it not for the mysteries surrounding those things the show wouldn't have made it past the first season, which is absolutely true frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Seriously. You can't play up the mysteries as a significant part of the point of the show and then cop out and say "It's all about the characters". The show wouldn't have made it to season 2 if it hadn't been for the numbers, the hatch, the polar bear, the smoke monster, Rousseau, the Others, Jack seeing his dead father, all that stuff. There were a lot of great and interesting characters on the show, but really, I stopped watching once I accepted that there were never going to be any answers. And once they killed Rousseau.
    Yeah, this is what bugs me - it's not just about the characters, it never has been, it's always been about the crazy mystery stuff as WELL as the characters (don't get me wrong, I realise that it's a very character driven show and that's one of the best things about it) - for the writers to now be saying 'it's a character study, the answers don't matter' is just balls. It just makes me think they never had any bloody answers in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffing Cheese View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Yeah, this is what bugs me - it's not just about the characters, it never has been, it's always been about the crazy mystery stuff as WELL as the characters (don't get me wrong, I realise that it's a very character driven show and that's one of the best things about it) - for the writers to now be saying 'it's a character study, the answers don't matter' is just balls. It just makes me think they never had any bloody answers in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    The point was were it not for the mysteries surrounding those things the show wouldn't have made it past the first season, which is absolutely true frankly.
    I totally agree. As much as I love the show, it would never have survived as (as the writers are citing it now) a simple 'character study' of these people on an island.

I think there's a distinction to be made here - in my opinion the final episode was about the characters, that doesn't mean the whole final season was. They tried to deal with some of the mythology there (albeit in a way that still threw up questions), it's just that by then they'd left Dharma/The Others/any SF elements behind to focus on Jacob and his brother. And by just making the last episode a character piece it made the ending more moving for me.

And I have to disagree with some of what's being said, yes of course the mysteries were part of what kept me watching, but so were the characters. If the entire show had been populated by Shannon-clones I wouldn't have made it past episode one. Sawyer and Hurley alone made the show 50% more watchable.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And I have to disagree with some of what's being said, yes of course the mysteries were part of what kept me watching, but so were the characters. If the entire show had been populated by Shannon-clones I wouldn't have made it past episode one. Sawyer and Hurley alone made the show 50% more watchable.
    I don't think anyone has at any point suggested that the characters weren't important.

None of this discussion really matters because we're all actually in purgatory right now trying to learn to let go and imagining stories for each other even though we're complete strangers.

You hated the ending (fair enough) but thought the Sayid-Shannon reunion was one of the only highpoints? That was the one really rubbish pairing throughout the whole of Lost! (OK, Sawyer and Ana Lucia's one time fling as well was stupid)

Also this is great:
    If Lucasarts Had Made A Lost Game...In 1987...

That Ana Lucia/Sawyer thing was so stupid, but it would have made sense if she had been the one to go out with him in the flash sideways and have it go down the way it did. Using the previously socially stunted Charlotte for that was a really dumb idea. I think she spoke to Sawyer like once in the island timeline and that was just to yell at him for daring to touch Daniel. The Ana Lucia and Sawyer thing not working out would have been a nice call back to a scene that made zero sense in the first place and given it a little credability
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

come on guuuys lets talk about lost some more, its been a week and no one has said anything!! wasnt this ending supposed to be interpreted and discussed for time to come?

oh wait except it completely sucked and theres nothing to discuss.. sorry carry on about your business