Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 41418192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: LOST - Season 6

I think the "super message" is what is going to be the biggest reveal of them all and everything else (jacob, mib, the mother etc) was just devices used to tell it but they simply can't reveal it just yet. It's probably what JJ Abrams had in mind in the first place and then the writers created the story of the island (and added more as the show progressed) to go around that first thought that they had.

Let it play it self out in the grand scheme of things instead of isolating it. people are way too spastic about last nights episode. Chill out and just finish out the show...and then complain

And if you want some good food for thought then think about this: Was Fake Mother the Smoke Monster?
    Last edited by McLovin'; 05-13-2010 at 01:03 AM.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post

And if you want some good food for thought then think about this: Was Fake Mother the Smoke Monster?
    Nooooo, I'm under the impression that MIB is the first smoke monster. The crazy mother was all "don't ever hurt eachother" and they wound up beating the shiat out of eachother and what not. I sort of understood the smoke monster to be "the light" being unleashed by jacobxmib succumbing to violence and "ungodly" emotions and etc.

I was watching this on Hulu and became so tired I had to stop and take a nap. What a boring episode that did nothing but frustrate me.

am i the only one that enjoyed it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post

Nooooo, I'm under the impression that MIB is the first smoke monster. The crazy mother was all "don't ever hurt eachother" and they wound up beating the shiat out of eachother and what not. I sort of understood the smoke monster to be "the light" being unleashed by jacobxmib succumbing to violence and "ungodly" emotions and etc.
    I think she said more "You can't hurt each other" and later on MIB mentions that they "can't hurt each other" (or something to that effect) because their mother "set it up that way" (or something to that effect).

As for the light being criticised - what did you expect? People don't turn into smoke monsters for scientific reasons. Everything about this entire series is based on paranormal/magic crap. Just because it doesn't have Gandalf doesn't make most of the stuff any less magic. Time travel because a guy moves a wheel? Magic. Teleportation? Magic. Dead people talking to the living? Magic. Seriously, the light shouldn't have been that big a disappointment if you've been watching this far into the series. It's the norm. I get the feeling that some people posting in this thread are wanting Lost to make sense, and this is something it is never going to do. Lost, for me, is about the stories, not the answers. I loved this episode in that regard because it told a story, and it was interesting for me as a stand-alone episode. If we get answers, great, but I'm not expecting good ones, and I'm certainly not expecting them to be realistic. The smoke monster existing at all is unrealistic in itself, and that was there since day one.

As for the episode, what I noted the most regarding "revelations" is just how the two seperated, the fact that they are brothers, how they got to the island, the reason that MIB wants to leave the island, the way they interacted and how they got to the point they are at now, and possibly most important of the lot, the fact that Jacob sent MIB into the light himself immediately after being told to protect that light by his mother. So for me, I think this tells a lot about how Jacob feels responsible for the island and also potentially feels responsible for his brother being what he is.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

As for the light being criticised - what did you expect? People don't turn into smoke monsters for scientific reasons. Everything about this entire series is based on paranormal/magic crap. Just because it doesn't have Gandalf doesn't make most of the stuff any less magic. Time travel because a guy moves a wheel? Magic. Teleportation? Magic. Dead people talking to the living? Magic. Seriously, the light shouldn't have been that big a disappointment if you've been watching this far into the series. It's the norm. I get the feeling that some people posting in this thread are wanting Lost to make sense, and this is something it is never going to do. Lost, for me, is about the stories, not the answers. I loved this episode in that regard because it told a story, and it was interesting for me as a stand-alone episode. If we get answers, great, but I'm not expecting good ones, and I'm certainly not expecting them to be realistic. The smoke monster existing at all is unrealistic in itself, and that was there since day one.
    That is such a cop out. No, you can't simply MAGIC away everything and expect people to be ok with that. The first few seasons were absolutely not about magic. They were about mysterious and supernatural things, sometimes, but the show was very much rooted in reality. Our reality. Everything that is happening on the island is supposed to be happening in our world. This world. The one where the red sox won the World Series.

It's not like a show such as Legend of the Seeker which is full of magic but that stuff is happening on a completely different world/reality.

And yes, the show got crazier and crazier as time went on, but even time travel could have a scientific explanation. It's a little bit of a stretch. But at least they threw in a physicist so that there would at least be a semblance of realism to that storyline.

For a long time, people assumed that the smoke monster was some sort of mechanical mechanism, due in part by the sound effects and also cause Rousseau once said that the smoke monster was the Island's security system. Ben was also able to "summon" the smoke monster at one point. One of the most prevailing theories was that the smoke monster consisted of nanobots. Science fiction? Definitely, but is it something audiences could believe? Sure.

From Damon Lindelof: "Ohh, nanobots. I don't know how many times you can go on record and say that the Smoke Monster is NOT made up of nanobots before you stop getting asked that question".

The smoke monster kept evolving and evolving until it got to the point where it turned out to be MIB. Ook, that really doesn't make sense. But hey, let's go with it, maybe there's some sort of explanation that makes sense?

But the explanation is basically, dude floats down tunnel of golden light, turns into smoke monster.

So initially we have a creature people believe may be mechanical, or nanobots, or somehow connected with the magnetic forces of the island. What we're eventually served up: magical golden tunnel light.

Just cause the past few seasons have turned the show bat crazy doesn't mean you can point at the lamest "explanation" so far and be like, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, WE STOPPED MAKING SENSE A LONG TIME AGO!

The show, the network, the writers and the creators all claimed to have answers. It's not like this show ever went around claiming that we'd never find out anything and to please lower our expectations. They hyped up these reveals and these answers for years. They pre-determined the year to end the show (sometime most shows never do!) because they claimed that they wanted to finally give the fans some answers and give Lost a proper ending. None of that is happening. So yeah, people are gonna be pissed.
    Last edited by Miriel; 05-13-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And just to add to what Miriel said, I have no problem with supernatural or paranormal explanations at this point. In fact, I honestly expect them. But we're not getting that much. This is pretty much what we got last episode as far as answers:

"Why can't Jacob and MIB kill each other? How did Jacob become the protector of the island and become capable of things like making someone immortal?" Because Mom made it that way.

"Why is the island so important and why is Jacob trying to protect it?" Because of a yellow light under it. "Well what's the yellow light?" We'll get to that if you're lucky, but probably in the last five minutes of the finale so you have no idea why protecting the island is important until the very end.

This isn't even a bad explanation because it explains nothing. The fact that their was someone protecting the island before Jacob was kind of a given since he assembled candidates to replace him. It doesn't even hint at answers to any of those questions. I could even accept an out there supernatural explanation; hell, I read comic books so my tolerance for out there explanations is pretty high so long as it's plausible and fits the universe that's been created. But that was like answering those questions with "because." That doesn't fly, and this late in the game there's no reason to still be holding back the way they are. And I think that's what's bothering me the most. We were promised answers and two episodes from the finale they're still playing coy and leaving almost everything for the end.

I will say that the only redeeming quality of that episode was seeing the relationship develop between Jacob and MIB originally. But given the potential for an episode like that to answer major questions, the fact that it didn't really overshadows the good parts for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Wasn't the smoke monster in the first season? That's not reality at all. Weren't dead people walking around the island? Again, not reality. I'm not saying magic is seriously the answer to everything and that it's a fair copout, I'm just saying that you can't expect a scientifically factual explanation for something that to begin with is completely fictional in every way.

I guess maybe you guys were looking for sensible reasons to begin with (eg. nanobots or whatever) but for me it was all one big fictional story with unrealistic things from day one. I never looked at it as a reasonable, level-headed show that would provide in great detail an explanation that is, at least in theory, almost passable as science fiction or something, something that could someday become reality.

As soon as dead people started walking around, as soon as there was a smoke monster, as soon as there were temples, as soon as there was time travel, I never expected any kind of decent explanation because, for me, these things can't be explained in a realistic way at all.

EDIT: But for what it's worth, I think the light is actually more than just "omg light". Much like what Jacob drank (the stuff his Mum gave him) is actually more than just "omg drink". Maybe it's where Lucifer himself is kept for all we know. Could be all sorts of things.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The difference is that a smoke monster and dead people are awesome. A light is stupid and boring. Make it eat Kate or any of the remaining non-white characters or something.

Ok, BoB is looking at the show like I am at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    EDIT: But for what it's worth, I think the light is actually more than just "omg light". Much like what Jacob drank (the stuff his Mum gave him) is actually more than just "omg drink". Maybe it's where Lucifer himself is kept for all we know. Could be all sorts of things.
    This is what was important about the episode, I think. The show has always been "WAH WAH FAITH LEAP OF FAITH QUESTION NOTHING ITS ALL FAITH" and I think the previous episode did a pretty good job with that. Why are Jacob and MIB supposed to protect the light? Because they were told to. Why can't they hurt each other? Because they were told not to. Why should they stay away from humans? Because they were told not to. Why doesn't anything exist across the sea? Because momma said so Etc. Hmmmmmmmm, momma sounds a lot like YAHWEH.

Again, I'm totally with BoB on this one. I don't know how anyone was expecting an answer other than magic golden holy light heaven/hell is the secret of the Island. I mean, c'mon, they've been building this up for AGES. It was bound to be cheesy! How can a show in which the producers have REPEATEDLY said "the main theme is love, it's all about love, love will save the day, love love love" not wind up being cheesy? You were expecting proper explanations for ghosts? Mysterious birds that materialize out of thin air and shout "Hurley"? A giant monster made of black smoke? Disembodied whispers? A magic spring that can cure people? Immortal beings?

Naw man. This show has been about "science v. faith" since waaaaaay back in season 2 (man of science man of faith, non?). I just don't get what other explanation one was hoping for. The whole "faith" thing was especially drilled back into our heads this season ("Jack, give this poison to Sayid because I said it's a good idea and I'm a wise samurai guy", "Ricardos, kill Jacob because I said so and I can bring your wife back" - "Yo wait, I'm actually God and MIB is Satan, listen to me and I can make you live forever", the whole Flocke recruiting people based on faith and trust, etc. etc.) Or when they got off the Island and Jack was all "OH WAIT LOCKE WAS RIGHT I NEEDED FAITH LETS GO BACK", or when they got back and Jack was all "YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN ME THE BOMB IS A GOOD IDEA", etc.

I'm not saying any of this is profound life changing , but I think the writer's at least had some idea where they wanted to go with this show, and I'm enjoying it. I'm especially enjoying the pure cheese of it all. And like BoB (and the producers repeatedly) have said: don't expect answers, it is about the characters. They never promised anything!

As for the magic light hole and everything, in the finale (minor spoiler?) (SPOILER)Jack goes inside it and it is referred to as Hell, capital H, in the script. And, in the preview for next weeks episode, Hurley is having a convo with dead-Jacob-child-version, so I don't think that the "rules" and what not have been wrapped up completely. Perhaps Across the Sea was exposition for real answers this week? (I doubt it, but hey, Jacob is on about the ashes, so hopefully those will get explained at least).

Conclusions: Titus Welliver and Mark Pellegrino are both hot but not as hot as Matthew Fox the end. (i think that i am probably only watching this show anymore because everyone is so attractive on it)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Even if you think Lost is about 'the stories' and not the mystery, this wasn't even a good story. In fact, it was the only episode to not have a single character from the original cast. As soon as the tunnel of light made an appearance I knew exactly how Smokey was going to be created. It was terrible storytelling and something a 12 year old trying to copy Rowling and Tolkien would write. If you thought that was a good story then you should go read some Dan Brown novels. They'll entertain you for days.

There is a way to use supernatural stuff without making it over the top and utterly cheesy. Lost has been more of the cheese as of late but in this episode they shot straight for the moon without looking back.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Even if you think Lost is about 'the stories' and not the mystery, this wasn't even a good story. In fact, it was the only episode to not have a single character from the original cast. As soon as the tunnel of light made an appearance I knew exactly how Smokey was going to be created. It was terrible storytelling and something a 12 year old trying to copy Rowling and Tolkien would write. If you thought that was a good story then you should go read some Dan Brown novels. They'll entertain you for days.

There is a way to use supernatural stuff without making it over the top and utterly cheesy. Lost has been more of the cheese as of late but in this episode they shot straight for the moon without looking back.
    Agreed. Though if there's anyone out there that thinks a big part of Lost hasn't been the mysteries then I have to wonder if they were paying attention all of these years.

And I'm not going to say I expect answers to everything. Some things are better left to the viewers imagination, but if the best that they can come up with for why protecting that light and the island is important is because Jacob's Mom said so, take it on faith then the producers and writers are dicks and don't care about their audience, regardless of faith being a central theme to the show and a lot of the characters.

Seriously, either we get answers to some of that stuff or Lost this will likely be one of the worst endings for any TV show I've ever seen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Even if you think Lost is about 'the stories' and not the mystery, this wasn't even a good story.
    I thought it was good because it didn't revolve around the lead characters. It instead told the story of what happened when Jacob and MIB arrived at the island and how they became what they are. I felt this is something that we needed to be told, that it was something I was very interested in. Just because there was a light involved doesn't make it any worse than it being, say, a sword of destiny or a giant magnetic force. I mean, really, now. Tolkien? You guys thought you were reading Tolkien style stuff in season one? It's been (as you refer to, not that I recognise the name) "Dan Brown" since the day they arrived and heard dramatic dinosaur-like sounds coming from the forest. Lost was never anything more than another Hollywood ride, and I for one have enjoyed it because my standards were never high for it. But I have enjoyed the little stories. Far more than the big story, probably...

Basically, I enjoy it in the same way I enjoyed Iron Man and I enjoyed Stargate SG-1 and I enjoyed the original Matrix movie. You can try to work some deep storyline into it all you like, but in all reality it's just another money-making TV series that doesn't rely on good writing and never did. What it relied on was mystery. The problem with mystery is, after a few seasons, you have to come up with answers and the problem with coming up with answers is that they never satisfy the massive buildup.

EDIT: Wait, why is everyone saying that protecting the light is only important because Jacob's Mum said so? I thought it was important because, you know, by not doing it he unleashed a mass murdering unstoppable black smoke thing that has no problem killing, well, pretty much anyone at all. I would imagine that would be a good reason to protect something. Okay, she didn't explain that, but I'm pretty sure that Jacob figured it out once he, you know, found his brother turning into smoke and killing people.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You just don't get it, BoB. You have no idea what the American People want.

It's ok though. Let's finish this ride together. And then never speak of it again.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum