Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 818222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: LOST - Season 6

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think it just goes to show the entire show was about the characters, and all of the mystery stuff was just a plot device to tell us about them.

Whether or not you think that is a good thing, though, is up to you!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think it just goes to show the entire show was about the characters, and all of the mystery stuff was just a plot device to tell us about them.

The characters were only half of the show. You don't spend six seasons building up the mysteries that much to cop out with an "it's about the characters" answer. If seeing the character moments was enough to satisfy some fans then more power to them, but the rest of us wanted some of the answers we were promised to go with them.

I'll point out that I'm not even talking about them throwing in a moment with Jacob laying out exactly what the island is and how everything works. Somewhat vague non-specific answers would have been fine, but they couldn't be bothered to even give us that much.

Definately agree with what most have said here!

Great emotional finale!! But could've been better if there were actually answers! They couldve answered as much questions in the lead up to the finale and it still wouldve been great but the main unanswered loose plot threads are pretty hard to ignore!

Of all things...seeing vincent in the end nearly made me cry!!

[Life is Eternity in a nutshell]

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The most annoying thing about Lost throughout all of its seasons is by far its "fans"

I don't need answers to every little thing, and we do know what the island and the light is, don't we? Jacob explained it earlier in the season using a wine bottle.

Nice episode!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah that was plainly obvious in the finale, the producers also said so during the two hour recap before the finale. So it wasn't a huge surprise. But as Vivi said that is only half the show. The other half is the mysteries, and that is what made the show so popular. Without the craziness happening on the island the show would not have lasted 6 years. During those 6 years we were given the impression that the creators knew what the island was the whole time and why crazy stuff happens there, and we would be told this by the end. I don't feel like that happened.

I understood that it would be a character driven finale and many things wouldn't get explained, like the numbers, how certain characters have special powers (Walt, Hurley, Desmond, Miles, etc). But I really thought the essential question of what the island was would be explained. I thought Jacob's cork in the beaker explanation was a metaphor. But there really was a literal freaking cork. That's just bad writing. :/ Tell us what it's trying to keep locked away and why at least! The finale was beautiful except for that stuff.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Actually you make a good point by bringing up Walt. As far as characters goes, he has always been pretty damn important, playing a key role in the first two finales and appearing in the next two. Yet there's no mention of him ever again.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I knew they were never going to answer all the questions. It became more and more obvious as time went on that they didn't even have answers to the mysteries.

But even as the "make up as we go along" thing became crystal clear, I never stopped believing that in the end, they would tell us what the island was. Is, "the island is a cork" really the closest we're going to get to an answer? This was a cop-out of epic proportions. If they were going to pull a cop out, they did it in the most lovely way possible. But seriously, EPIC cop-out.

Edit:

Ok, so I've been reading around theories and interpretations online and people seem to be mighty confused about what happened. But it seemed pretty clear to me? Island stuff really happened, they all eventually died and "created" a place in the afterlife to help find each other so they could help each other move on. Right?

Also they apparently offered Eko a hefty sum to return for the finale but he wanted 5 times that amount and so he was yanked from the finale. What a bitch move! Greedy! No explanation about why Walt didn't come back, but I assume it's cause they didn't want to deal with the weirdness of having a totally grown up Walt when they kept Aaron as a baby.
    Last edited by Miriel; 05-24-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Ok, so I've been reading around theories and interpretations online and people seem to be mighty confused about what happened. But it seemed pretty clear to me? Island stuff really happened, they all eventually died and "created" a place in the afterlife to help find each other so they could help each other move on. Right?
    I thought that was unbelievably clear as well. As much as it doesn't surprise me that some people are confused about it, I don't understand how they could be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I liked the touch of having close to every religion covered in the temple.

It was an okay ending. If anything, I actually kind of like that they didn't answer everything as, much like a lot of FF games, it leaves a lot open to discussion and interpretation. As for "what is the island" - Like Lev, I thought that was answered some time ago as well, actually. I think it's a bit more than that, though - I believe that it holds the world together in a way. That plug thing was destroying the island, and I think it would have destroyed the world if it stayed unplugged forever (hence "when the light goes out here, it goes out everywhere").
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I found a lot of it kind of maudlin. All this slow memory stirring as characters meet over and over, I felt like I was watching "Previously, on Lost..." recaps with characters smile-crying in the middle of them. But I was alright with most of it, I guess. I would take the 6 season journey again, and that's pretty good.

I liked Kate's, "I saved you a bullet." So many haters Kate is awesome. I have that exact black dress too. I look better in it, though.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    That's what I got out of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I found a lot of it kind of maudlin. All this slow memory stirring as characters meet over and over, I felt like I was watching "Previously, on Lost..." recaps with characters smile-crying in the middle of them.
    Awwwww I thought it was cute. I mean Sawyer and Juliet. COME ON.

I liked Kate's, "I saved you a bullet."
    Season 6 made me really like Kate, especially that part, and her "NOBODY KNOWS HOW TO BE A MOM CLAIRE STFU LETS GO." speech was ballin.

I don't get why people have a problem with what the Island is though. The Island is magic. For real. Like, come on. They've flat out said it before. Remember the "magic box"? Locke always used to be on about how it was a place where miracles happen and . And then yeah, there was the whole cork deal. The Island is God! The source of life! Etc.! I was reading a review of the final episode that said something along the lines of "we can't explain god and life in reality so why would we expect them to be able to do it in a believable way on a tv show?" which I thought was pretty apt. And hey, I thought they did a pretty damn good job with the whole life/heaven/etc thing anyway.

I just rewatched it because I wanted to make sure it was as good as I thought it was and I wasn't just blinded by "omgggggg its ending" excitement. It was totally better the second time. Kate asking Jack if she would ever see him again is < / 3 when you knowwww they won't (until they're both dead). Omfgggg and Vincent coming to lay down beside Jack as he dies got me both times - oh the jears.

I liked the touch of having close to every religion covered in the temple.
    noticed that too. i thought it was rad.

Actually you make a good point by bringing up Walt. As far as characters goes, he has always been pretty damn important, playing a key role in the first two finales and appearing in the next two. Yet there's no mention of him ever again.
    What's funny is that the only reason they had Walt off in the first place was just because the kid was growing up so they needed him off the show unfortunately. Then because of fans they brought Walt back for like one episode. His powers or whatever just seem to have no explanation and can probably be just thrown out as an irrelevant storyline that the writers never had a plan for.

I'm happy with SOME questions not answered and a few plotlines left loose but they left a HELL of a lot unanswered as they force fed us cheap sentimental moments stolen from other shows & hoped we wouldn't notice.

It was a bull way to end it.

Why was Richard not there at the nd? Or Eko? Daniel? Frank or Miles?

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Why was Richard not there at the nd? Or Eko? Daniel? Frank or Miles?
    Jack was never particularly close with these characters, maybe?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Forget that, why was Vincent not there with them in the Church? Doggies go to heaven too!