Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Political Talk-Shows.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The difference is that more people take Bill O'Reilly seriously, and O'Reilly (along with Hannity and Limbaugh and the even worse Coulter) want to be taken seriously. Colbert is intentional satire. And yes, The Daily Show and especially Colbert Report have their own biases, and I disagree with them on certain things, but they're at least funny about it. John Stewart is not the O'Reilly of the left -- that's Keith Olbermann, who I already said I also can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I like Maher, Colbert and Stewart because they don't take themselves seriously.
    Maher is good as long as he doesn't start talking about vaccines, because then I want to punch him in his stupid face.
    Yeah, definitely. Along similar lines Jenny McCarthy needs to shut the smurf up already.
    Last edited by The Man; 01-29-2010 at 05:38 AM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

The difference is that more people take Bill O'Reilly seriously, and O'Reilly (along with Hannity and Limbaugh and the even worse Coulter) want to be taken seriously. Colbert is intentional satire. And yes, The Daily Show and especially Colbert Report have their own biases, and I disagree with them on certain things, but they're at least funny about it. John Stewart is not the O'Reilly of the left -- that's Keith Olbermann, who I already said I also can't stand.
    Limbaugh says he's an entertainer. He even calls his network the EIB network as a joke (excellence in broadcasting network). Hannity is an idiot. Coulter is hilarious, because she is actually really smart and makes other people just look stupid. Whether you agree with her or not, which I know most of EoFF doesn't because this appears to be a hugely liberally sided group, she is a very smart woman. Rush just points out things no one else does. He does nothing spectacular, he's not the smartest guy in the world, but he just gathers information and distributes it. People that refuse to listen to him because of what they have heard about him, are absurd. I have at least watched Michael Moore movies before deciding he is a scumbag.

THE JACKAL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Banned

I hate them all, left and right, Keith Olbermann or Bill O'Reilly. They are all pompous blowhards who spout off hyperbole for ratings.

They are so bad that the parodies are that much more enjoyable, like The Daily Show and Colbert Report. I could watch those forever.
    Agreed 100%.

I can't think of very many things I'd dislike watching more than an overpaid self riteious guy in a suit telling me what they think of everything, why everyone else is wrong, why I have to eat it, all while assuming I agree with them.

Not to mention politics has a way of bringing out the worst in people to begin with.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    Coulter is hilarious, because she is actually really smart and makes other people just look stupid.
    If by other people, you mean herself. Her book claims that evolution is nothing but a liberal conspiracy, at that's just one example of her mind-numbing ignorance. She is the very definition of "spouting hyperbole for ratings," and in fact does it so obnoxiously that she is almost self-parodying.

Whether you agree with her or not, which I know most of EoFF doesn't because this appears to be a hugely liberally sided group, she is a very smart woman. Rush just points out things no one else does. He does nothing spectacular, he's not the smartest guy in the world, but he just gathers information and distributes it. People that refuse to listen to him because of what they have heard about him, are absurd. I have at least watched Michael Moore movies before deciding he is a scumbag.
    I am not at all a liberal, and have watched and read all of the mainstream "serious" political commentators at one point or another. Here's a tip: they are all scumbags. They don't give a crap about truth, only about money and pushing their agenda. Michael Moore is just the Ann Coulter of the left -- a particularly detestable example.

I have to sort of not comment on this since I work for one of the shows constantly being mentioned. All I can add is that Mr. Stewart is a very good boss.

We view ourselves as comedy first, news and entertainment second. A good laugh will trump a political bias every single day of the week, and you can take that to the bank. The day the Daily Show is seen as the sole source of "real" news is the day we've lost a very important part of what this country so prides itself: a free press. I will grant you that it can be bleak out there, but there is still good reporting if you can dig through all the bull and grand-standing.

Take care all.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What do you do for the Daily Show? Do you interact with Stewart much?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Currently I work in the Research and overnight news departments. I catch the AP feeds that come in overnight and search for transcripts for the writers in addition to researching jokes of my own. I see Jon usually once a day, though he's usually too busy to chat much. When he does have time I've found him to be just about what he is on air: funny, a Jersey boy through and through and Jewish.

Take care all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Currently I work in the Research and overnight news departments. I catch the AP feeds that come in overnight and search for transcripts for the writers in addition to researching jokes of my own. I see Jon usually once a day, though he's usually too busy to chat much. When he does have time I've found him to be just about what he is on air: funny, a Jersey boy through and through and Jewish.

Take care all.
    I'm...so jealous!

jesus, The Captain probably has a better job than anyone else at this forum.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)