Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political Talk-Shows.

Blog Entries

Default Political Talk-Shows.

Well, I was looking up videos of Bill O'Reilly today, and I realized it was silly of me to look up videos of something I know I'm going to dislike. So, I decided that rather than look up Political Talk-Shows and think to myself "Ugh so dumb arrrghh", I'd start a discussion about Political Talk-Shows with EoFF.

What do you think of Political Talk-Shows?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think a good one, like Question Time, is a very good thing for debate and hearing various points of view. But the talk show should not be hosted by one of the talkers, if it's to be any good. It needs an impartial moderator. When it's someone like O'Reilly, who will just shout over anyone who disagrees with him and won't let them actually discuss things, it's not only extraordinarily rude and weak, it's pointless.

A relevant article.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 01-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I think a good one, like Question Time, is a very good thing for debate and hearing various points of view. But the talk show should not be hosted by one of the talkers, if it's to be any good. It needs an impartial moderator. When it's someone like O'Reilly, who will just shout over anyone who disagrees with him and won't let them actually discuss things, it's not only extraordinarily rude and weak, it's pointless.
    I feel this way as well. It's hardly an even debate whenever a host is horribly skewed to one side and can cut off the opposition as soon as they want, and then make points to bash them without the opponent even being able to rebut. It's weak and stupid to have a caller in on a radio show, hear what they have to say, then disconnect them and make fun of their mindset whenever they don't even have the option to argue.

I'll watch something like Real Time or The Daily Show where the host actually lets his guests speak, but like The O'Reilly Factor is just smurfing ridiculous.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

We have Parliament question time, less of a talk show and more a live broadcast of politicians fighting it out. Its mostly dull boring talks but when things get heated then some of the best insults I’ve herd get thrown about.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I hate them all, left and right, Keith Olbermann or Bill O'Reilly. They are all pompous blowhards who spout off hyperbole for ratings.

They are so bad that the parodies are that much more enjoyable, like The Daily Show and Colbert Report. I could watch those forever.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The daily show is fun

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I hate them all, left and right, Keith Olbermann or Bill O'Reilly. They are all pompous blowhards who spout off hyperbole for ratings.

They are so bad that the parodies are that much more enjoyable, like The Daily Show and Colbert Report. I could watch those forever.
    Ba-dum.

I like CBC Radio, though.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

A relevant article.

Sadly i've noticed Dimbleby getting worse recently for talking over the guests and in some cases going for the cheap shot. Question Time is getting almost not worth watching for me these days
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah I agree that the ones who take themselves seriously are generally awful, even the ones I agree with. I like Maher, Colbert and Stewart because they don't take themselves seriously.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

This. Oh lord this.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I get all my political news from The Daily Show these days. Stewart should win a Pulitzer. His 5 minute interviews are oftentimes more in depth and hard hitting than those from 'serious' talk shows. I think he's brilliant.

Colbert is great too. It is amazing how so many people take his character at face value and thinks he actually believes most of what he says.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I like Maher, Colbert and Stewart because they don't take themselves seriously.
    Maher is good as long as he doesn't start talking about vaccines, because then I want to punch him in his stupid face.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I get all my political news from The Daily Show these days. Stewart should win a Pulitzer. His 5 minute interviews are oftentimes more in depth and hard hitting than those from 'serious' talk shows. I think he's brilliant.

Colbert is great too. It is amazing how so many people take his character at face value and thinks he actually believes most of what he says.
    It's more amazing that people DON'T take Stewart that way as he actually does agree with a lot of the views he poses. Granted, on the show he does so in ludicrous fashion, but many of the views presented on his show actually are his. Colbert however, doesn't even agree with what he says most of the time, and often does the extreme to try and prove the other point. Sadly, both shows are extremely slanted liberal shows, just in very different ways. The fact that they're satire is why people let them get away with it, but the same bias is still present. They are entertainers however, and I enjoy a good Colbert Report on some days.

Sad part is, people don't pay attention to the fact that Bill O'Reilly is entertainment too. You can't take what he says seriously either. When you sit there and watch it as a news show, it's your own fault. After watching him maybe twice I realized that is was purely to watch and laugh at how crazy O'Reilly is. Hardly to be taken seriously. Of course, these are the same people who try and take Chris Matthews seriously... just as absurd in the opposite direction.

The ONLY time a news show can get away with being a more balanced one, is when there is a team of reporters that run the show. In this instances, not everyone is going to agree on everything and they will point out each others faults. So not to say bias isn't present, but you're more likely to see more than one bias and find a middle "truthful" ground.

But when it comes down to it, realize ALL these shows are trying to draw in viewers and make money. It's not as much about the news as it is about the business. Hence why getting your news from non-news dedicated channels is actually better. Or ya know, just use the internet and sources like Drudge-report.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9