Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91 Years of Life

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 91 Years of Life

And now J.D. Salinger sleeps eternally. Catcher in the Rye is one if the best novels of all time! He will be missed.

News Source

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Catcher is a goddam awesome novel!
    J.D. was a crazy guy though.
    Oh well, RIP and all that.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Oh jeez, I thought this dude was immortal! RIP, although I have little knowledge of his work besides Catcher in the Rye.

So many people have died already in 2010, it's so weird. Zelda Rubinstein died today!

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I find it unfortunate that fame had such a negative impact on him. I would have loved to see him produce more work than he did. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite novels, and though many find it overrated, I think it is an important exploration of youth and is easily relatable to by people around that age. I certainly found it to be revelatory.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

edit: im actually so brutally torn up about this. he was one of my favorites ; - ; a perfect day for bananafish.
    Last edited by Moon Rabbits; 01-28-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I was not personally thrilled by Catcher in the Rye, though I cannot argue against the fame and influence it had.

smurf me. A lot hate the book, but I loved it. Sad to see him underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    I find it unfortunate that fame had such a negative impact on him. I would have loved to see him produce more work than he did. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite novels, and though many find it overrated, I think it is an important exploration of youth and is easily relatable to by people around that age. I certainly found it to be revelatory.
    According to several different sources and different articles I've read about his passing, he continued to write his entire life. The works were never published though. We'll see how his kids handle the estate and whatever he supposedly wrote though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I was not personally thrilled by Catcher in the Rye, though I cannot argue against the fame and influence it had.
    I wasn't too thrilled with the book either. It was okay, but not nearly something I would call epic. Regardless of my personal feelings, he did have a pretty massive impact on literature and it's sad that he reacted so negatively to the reactions of Catcher.

I think that books the worst thing ever written and wish the main character had died in a fire 3 pages in. That being said rip guy.
    Last edited by Kyros; 01-30-2010 at 01:46 AM.

I would not be surprised if we end up seeing more published material from him now that he's dead. I strongly doubt he declined in writing ability.

At any rate it sucks that he's gone, but hey, he was ninety-one and apparently wasn't in any pain, and I'll assume he lived the life he wanted to live, so at least there's that.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really liked <i>Nine Stories</i> and <i>Franny and Zooey</i>, and enjoyed his other published books too. And I'm sad to hear of Salinger's passing. But he lived a long life and he stopped publishing over 40 years ago. May he rest in peace.

I haven't read "Catcher in the Rye" yet, but it's always sad when someone dies.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really enjoyed Franny and Zooey. I'm so shocked he's dead!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I’m not sad or surprised that he died. Actually—to tell you the truth of all truths—I was surprised when I read the Wikipedia article about him a few years ago (after reading Catcher in the Rye, which I thought was all right) to find out that he was still alive (at the time, of course). 91’s a pretty good haul though aye

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Shame to see him go, he was definitely a good writer.

Annoying thing is that there will probably be a movie now.

To me it seems to depend on what state of mind I am at certain times my life if I like the book or not. I remember during puberty I read the book and really enjoyed half of it, until I started actually being in a better place personally and Holden's character really started to annoy the hell out of me.

I think if any book taught me not to whine it would be this one.

For some reason whenever I think back on the book I get this picture in my head of old men around a table discussing what is wrong with the world but so caught up in the discussion that they never DO anything about it.
    Or that scene in Life of Brian.