Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lightning's real name... (spoilers)

Well, to keep in touch with our cultural differences, SE's localization department changed some things around, but the majority of the storyline remains the same.

They also noted that to many people, "Eclair" would be a pretty weird and funny name, so they rearranged the latters and put the E at the end, renaming her "Claire."
    Is that your final answer?

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree it would be kinda lame if her real name in English was Eclair. When Dysley says her name, it wouldn't even register. "Isn't that right, Eclair" would be like "wtf does pastry have to do with this?"

LOL, most certainly indeed, Eestlinc.

Blog Entries

Strange that her name was almost going to be Eclair. I guess it fits in with Serah's theme of having an 'E' there when it shouldn't be (maybe it's a local thing but I've never seen it spelt Serah)

Having avoided the spoilers I was expecting her name to be Jane (or Jene maybe). As there have been Sarahs and Janes a couple of times in Final Fantasies, though I think Jane is usually the mother. Claire is a similarly English-sounding name though, which fits in with both and made 100% sense when I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    You cannot rename her. Otherwise the characters couldn't call her "Lightning" or "Light".
    Instead they'd call her "you-know-who" and that got pretty jarring in FFX, and very jarring in X-2.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    The only time I've ever changed a character's name was when Garnet wanted to change her name to Dagger; I made it Tenrag.
    That's the only time I've changed a character's name too, because I thought 'Dagger' was a really dumb name. So I changed it back to Garnet. It was pretty funny watching her say "from now on my name is.. Garnet!" and they're like "right, cool".

Her real name WAS Eclair in the Japanese version, but the E was moved to the end, after the R, changing the name to Claire, and I like that better.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc View Post
    I agree it would be kinda lame if her real name in English was Eclair. When Dysley says her name, it wouldn't even register. "Isn't that right, Eclair" would be like "wtf does pastry have to do with this?"
    xD Brilliant.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

I'd be like "Who are you calling Eclair, Parsley? Or should I say Bratwurstalus?"

ROTFLOL

I was for sure her name would be Rose. It just seemed right. When she summons odin, rose petals fall and her crystal is a rose. And lets be honest, I was expecting them to keep the trend of mostly-named-after-random-nouns in place for each character.

Blog Entries

Nothing to do with being a raging Doctor Who fan, then?

It wouldn't be a very long game if he was there too. fal'Cie vs Sonic Screwdriver and a guy who would tear down the sky to save humanity: poor things wouldn't stand a chance
    Last edited by Cloudane; 04-09-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
    I was for sure her name would be Rose. It just seemed right. When she summons odin, rose petals fall and her crystal is a rose. And lets be honest, I was expecting them to keep the trend of mostly-named-after-random-nouns in place for each character.
    Nomura's main character names (within the Final Fantasy franchise) are all related to the Earth's sky, land, and sea; the central character always has the sky-based name.

Hey guys, it's been a while. Had an eclair for dessert the other day, and it just popped into my head: when will Lightning change her name back to Claire? I think it's a very nice name.

I thought the reason why she changed her name to Lighting to be kind off dumb and emo, first I thought it was supposed to be a code name.

Eclaire? What was Nomura doing when he thought that was an exotic name o.o? It would be pretty epic to have everyone calling her it though.
    I wish there was a game where they would pronounce the names you give the characters, that would be cool. Especially as I usually rename the characters to the names of the end bosses of every Final Fantasy. "Isn't that right, Zeromus?" =)
    You dont understand, with gravity slain we can FLY!

Screwing with your minds since 1994!

I am a coding beast!
    Languages learnt:C, C++, C#, D3D, VB, PHP/HTML, Reverse Engineering, x64 assembly and Python.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOrigins View Post
    Eclaire? What was Nomura doing when he thought that was an exotic name o.o? It would be pretty epic to have everyone calling her it though.
    I wish there was a game where they would pronounce the names you give the characters, that would be cool. Especially as I usually rename the characters to the names of the end bosses of every Final Fantasy. "Isn't that right, Zeromus?" =)
    What, like the Microsoft Speech guy pronouncing the names. Now that would be epic.