Thread: The Wikipedia Game

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default The Wikipedia Game

Laddy's thread reminded me of a very entertaining game we used to play at GHF. This game would get me by on obnoxiously slow work days.

Anyway, the first person (me to start out) posts a random wikipedia article (found by clicking "random article" on the navigation menu) and that becomes the target page. Then, everyone else clicks "random article" as well, and tries to reach the target page from your starting point in as few clicks as possible, and then copy/paste your path here (either open tabs or save each link as you go). Once someone has found a legitimate path to the target page and posted it here, the finder posts a new target article, and the process starts over. What makes it more difficult are a few restrictions:

1. NO back button. If you screw up, you either need to try to go around in a loop (I've done it plenty of times; it's usually not too difficult) or start over with a new random page.

2. NO going to the target page and then clicking "what links here." However, you CAN go to the target page and read it to see what sort of things are mentioned to give you an idea of how to find it.

3. NO using "See Also" or "Category" links at the bottom of the page. The link must be used in the article itself.

4. If a target article is not found within a couple of days of people trying with no success, someone can post a new target article. I don't think I've seen that happen before, though; it's just to keep things moving if you all suck too much.

EDIT: 5. The new target article can be chosen however the finder wishes, whether by another Random Article search or any subject the chooser wishes.

I think those were all the rules we used. Feel free to offer any suggestions.

EDIT: considering this is not just a one-word game, I don't think it should be constrained by the traditional "1 post in 10" rule. Just don't regularly post an answer every-other post. Unless it's really slow.

Anyway, first target article: Lela Rochon. Go!
    Last edited by Raistlin; 02-07-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Go now. Every target page only needs to be found once.

Also, 6 clicks isn't bad. If I remember correctly, 5-6 is pretty average. 8+ or so is a long route, and some can take 12+.

EDIT: Also, you might want to list your links vertically so we can more easily see the route and number of clicks you took.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Well since Red Pill is taking a while and it doesn't really matter who posts a random article, here's the next target: Manus al Aire. Go!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Petrova Niva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ottoman Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of Ottoman Empire territories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Palestine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Knesset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of members of the second Knesset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Batsheva Katznelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8 clicks, not too bad for a tricky one. Random page makes your next target Aechmea gigantea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (I got literally 5 orphan articles before this one to try. (Those are articles that have few to no links to them so they are pretty much impossible to get to with this game) and this one looks to make you cry as well. Good luck )

Blog Entries

That one's hard. I gave it a go and I reckon I got pretty close but hit a dead end. I look forward to seeing how someone gets there.

*gives up*

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Ok, this one was a huge pain. It's an apparently insignificant software company in Ottawa, so I first tried the easier route of finding it through Ottawa's wiki page, which even included a helpful link under a "primary industries" section to a list of tech companies. But no go. So then I tried to find it by going through "collaboration software, which eventually worked. Sort of.

I guess I should mention: if it looks like the random link you generate for the next target won't be linked to by anything, go ahead and pick a different one. You can even check the "What links here" page to be sure since you won't be among the ones looking for it.

Mom Chim Huy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cambodia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cold War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ottawa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of technology companies in Ottawa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Economy of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Best Buy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Computer software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Application software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Collaborative software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of collaborative software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (I cheated here, but I'm not sure there was any way else of finding it)
    Ramius Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next target: Matumbi.