Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unlock Heavy Rain Demo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Really the big issue I have here is with the controls. I don't see why you couldn't just simply walk with the left analog stick and have to hold R2 down with it. Took me a while to get one of those curved motions for R3. Jayden does sound funny and boring, his part was ultimately boring. It also felt a little strange to me to be using an inhaler in a video game.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

It is really awkward, but they did it that way for a reason. In Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, their last game, they had a more normal movement control. However, when the camera angle changed, it was often disorienting since the direction you were pressing on the stick might have been a different direction than the one you were traveling in after the change.

So their solution was to have R2 make you 'walk forward', which would be 'walk forward' no matter how many camera changes there are. Kind of like a racing game, except really really slow. As far as fixing that particular issue from Indigo Prophecy, I prefer it in Heavy Rain. So yes, it is not optimal or intuitive, but it's better than what they had before.

The right stick motions is also something that I've been exposed to a lot in games. Indigo Prophecy did it some, but I've used it more extensively in EA's sports games. Fight Night, Fifa, Skate (not a sport, but definitely complex right-stick motions).

As far as boringness, well, this game I imagine will require some patience in spots. A lot of the game I'm sure is going to be about information gathering and revealing the story through clues you find. For the demo, I imagine they didn't want to give away too much, so they gave us something that might not be crucially important to the plot. More as a kind of demonstration of their sci-fi goggles than a representation of the game as a whole.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Same reason why the old Resident evil games had the same controls. Its really not a bother if you played more than 5 minutes.

I didnt find it boring at all, but its obviously not for everyone and I respect that.

I thought I'd really like it, but I found the controls a little annoying and it seemed very slow.
    I did start to enjoy it during the fight scene though, but it was just too much: Press O, Press >, tilt controller. I can see that getting annoying.

I can't help but think it would have been an awsome movie.
    I'd say it's more of an interactive story than a game, like Shadow of Memories (which I loved).

I wouldn't buy it, but lucky for me, my friend is. I'll just borrow it off her when she's done with it.