Thread: Darkness Augment Question

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Default Darkness Augment Question

I finally got around to wrapping up the DS version of FFIV, I'm juts making my way through the final dungeon. I gave my Darkness Augment to Kain, but never had it equipped until recently. However, whenever I use it I don't do any more damage than usual. It does the animation, and Kain takes the damage, but the damage is the same as a normal attack. Ditto for Jump.

I originally thought for some reason there might be some incompatibility with the Holy Lance, but it is the same deal with other weapons. My only thought is that it somehow makes the attack Darkness elemental, and all the enemies in the dungeon have a Darkness resistance that doesn't show up on Libra.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It sounds like the enemies you're fighting might resist Darkness. Darkness gives you an attack boost in exchange for your HP, but your attacks become Darkness elemental, so if the monsters you attack resist that element the damage won't really increase that much.

I always used Darkness along with Focus and Jump, but only for really late-game bosses, so I don't think I ever noticed Darkness not working.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Its a possibility that they resist the element, I've heard from sources that the reason why Ragnarok seems to do so-so damage in the last area is because A) Its Attack power has been lowered by something like 25 to 50 points compared to previous versions and a majority of enemies in the last area have resistance to Holy Damage.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Excallibur seems to do damage on par with everyone else against enemies, and Ragnorok seems to do more. And of course it just rapes holy weak enemies.

Kind of blows that every enemy in the last dungeon resists Dark, kind of a waste of an element.