Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP3 Players

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I have a Zune, and while some people I know don't like it, I think it's superior to the iPod.
    I was thinking about getting a Zune just to express my dislike of Apple products :)
    The corresponding program is probably one of the best features for the Zune, in my opinion. It's lightweight and extremely easy-to-use after the initial walkthrough process. The online store is also pretty substantial and has a lot to offer.

I haven't had an issue with my Zune since I purchased it, which was about a month after the release of the first batch. It isn't as small as the newest ones that are available, but it still works for me. I typically charge it two or three times a month, depending on how heavily I use it (which includes falling asleep with it on every night) that month. This is all the original model though, I can't speak for the quality of battery life and navigational ease of the newer models.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    But I really don't know anything about the smaller players, I would never even consider anything that didn't have at least 60GB of disk space.
    Physical size matters, and HDDs in highly portable devices is a bad idea.
    Even the biggest iPods aren't that big, do you people never exercise or what?
    It is extremely noticeable when working out even if you have one of those baby iPods.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    But I really don't know anything about the smaller players, I would never even consider anything that didn't have at least 60GB of disk space.
    Physical size matters, and HDDs in highly portable devices is a bad idea.
    Even the biggest iPods aren't that big, do you people never exercise or what?
    they're still considerably larger

and there's still the issue of HDDs being much more sensitive to physical shock and vibrations than memory chips are.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I'm working out, I tend to focus on the lift and forget I'm even using an MP3 player at all.

I do my running on a treadmill and the iPod stays on there just fine, no need to worry about shock. But I have ran with it before I started at the gym and never had problems, don't fall.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

But I have ran with it before I started at the gym and never had problems, don't fall.
    Easier said than done. I've bailed of treadmills at running at max speed because I stepped on the edge by accident.

As for running outside, its the weight bouncing up and down in my pocket that bothers me. I can't even take a key chain with a half dozen keys on it with me.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Optimally, a HDD shouldn't even be moved or tilted while it's spinning and the read/write head is over the platters. However nice you think you're treating your HDD based music player, it's gonna wear down faster than a flash based player. This is of course assuming that the rest of the player is of an equal build quality, but it's safe to say that regardless of the build quality, the HDD is always the weakest link in such a player.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    I recommend the Creative Zen. My husband and I both have one, and I like it much more than iPods. Check it out and see if they have a model with the features you're looking for--I think you'll like it.
    I've heard good things about Creative Zen too.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with my iPod (an 80GB Classic). Maybe I'm just lucky?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    I recommend the Creative Zen. My husband and I both have one, and I like it much more than iPods. Check it out and see if they have a model with the features you're looking for--I think you'll like it.
    I've heard good things about Creative Zen too.
    I'll say this about Creative Zen; I had an old one (really old at this point. It only had 512mb if I remember correctly) and it was damn near indestructable. By the time I replaced it the batteries were being held in by the same tape that was keeping the casing together. I once had to dig the play button back out with a pencil that was the only thing handy at the time after dropping it on tile floor. Looking at their website now though, I'm not sure they're making them as rugged these days.

Anyway, I don't really listen to music while I run anymore so I went with a 120GB Zune that I'm very happy with. Easy to use, works great, and the UI is simple and intuitive. It'll do everything you wanted except probably your third point, but you can always organize the songs however you want in playlists anyway so it's not a huge issue. If you're going to run with an mp3 player then just grab one of the versions with flash memory and go to town.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sansa all the way. Don't be like everyone else and buy crappy iPods.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Zen is fantastic as Shlup said, they're pretty damn cool and like Vivi 22 pointed out they are still damn near indestructible, believe me theres a guy I work with who has one that has cracks in the casing and everything and it's fine, works better than most of the store Ipod units for demostrations ect.

I personally only just got a new mp3 player after like 10 years of using an old Alba 128mb mp3 player. The alba literally was a flash-drive and could be used as one (even now, this is truly the definition of the phrase indestructible I've even dropped it in a swimming pool before by accident and merely dived in and pulled it out. once dry it worked fine even the data on it was fine) without music on there I know because I'd often have enough music to see me to college and back and class projects stored on there at the same time (I used to ride to college in around 15 - 20 mins so never needed much music) The mp3 player I have now is one my girlfriend found me online it's a Kubik Edge 4gb. It's got a 2.8 inch touch screen which is both a positive and a negative since touch screens can wear out or be insensitive to commands on the move. However the memory is expandable and appears to be flash it's also drag and drop however I would point out it can only play MP3, MP4, WMA or AVI files (yes it'll play a movie on it's screen too if you get the free software to downsize the image to the right dimensions for it to do so) You can sync to it via media player however this takes FOREVER so I advise just drag and drop is quicker.

As for internal meta tag data really just download Winamp and edit that stuff yourself it's not hard to do just update both the id3 and id4 tags.

I was going to recommend a Creative ZEN it was one of the first ones I had. I don't know how they are these days. But they used to be drag-and-drop and folder-specific. So they fit pretty much all your criteria. But mine was a 512 too. I imagine if they make a 4+GB one with trans flash memory in the same style it'd be pretty much everything you need. But like I said, I don't know how they are these days. I use a Zune. And I can say the software on the computer blows. Probably better than iTunes, but its still a damn resource hog