Thread: Masters and Ninjas will always hate each other

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default Masters and Ninjas will always hate each other

I wanted to make a poll about Masters and Ninjas to see which one the general memberships here likes more. Over the years I've found a trend that they either love the Master and hate the Ninja or love the Ninja and hate the Master.

The Master~

May people love the Master because he is a powerhouse. Stronger than the knight, he does more damage dealing than anything else in the game. They also love the free space not equiping him gives the party in the NES version where space is limited.

Many people hate the master because he doesn't gain anything at class change. He gains no magic to learn or even any stat boost really. They also complain that his defense sucks because he can't equip anything, but keep in mind the glitch I found in the NES version that allows him to equip bracelets, ribbons, prorings or whatever without his stats dropping all the way down.

The Ninja~

May people like the Ninja because he gains magic at the class change. That in combination with his ability to equip pretty decent weapons and armor make him an all around solid character.

Many people don't like the Ninja because he doesn't add anything to the party that another character can't add better. If you want more black magic use a Black Mage. If you want more damage dealing use a Knight.

I personally can't stand the Ninja and will go with a Master every time. In comparison, the damage the Master gives out far outweighs what a Ninja can do. The damage taken is of little concern. I've never had much of a problem keeping my Masters alive, even on the playthrough where I used 4 Masters. The black magic a Ninja gains at class change is useless compared to the damage a Master can give out. I would much rather have a Master kill almost any monster in one hit than have to cast a *color*2 spell 2-3 times to kill something. It's simple damage control to concentrate on killing monsters individually instead of taking them all down equally.

What do you think?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It depends on which version you're talking about. Well, I'd still prefer the Ninja, but in the PS1 version that preference would be greater. In the NES version, Black belts/Masters really only save money. Ninjas add a bit more flavor, and are a nice balance to a Knight's limited white magic abilities.

However, going on purely practical concerns, a second Fighter is superior to both. Much better defense and relatively similar attack to the Master until higher levels where it hardly matters anymore.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    However, going on purely practical concerns, a second Fighter is superior to both. Much better defense and relatively similar attack to the Master until higher levels where it hardly matters anymore.
    Yeah, I can't say I like either of them.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Master, he traveled back in time to punch Chaos in the face!

Ninjas are cool. Monks are ghey. tru story

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    This.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Blog Entries

Masters!! Ninjas/thief never appealed to me in this game.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Masters, yes they don't get a real upgrade in comparison to the other jobs but at the same time, its better than having to lug around a dead weight like Thief only so you can have a sub-par Knight wannabe, like Ninja. Master/Monk class does excellent damage, has pretty good stats, saves money and make the first half of the game a cakewalk. Ninja's are okay but their versatility isn't really all that great and they pale in damage output behind a Knight or Master. Their minor usefulness comes from later entries when you get access to items that cast spells in which the speed they have makes them great for buffing. I still don't think its worth the trouble of having a Thief though...

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Wolf Kanno on this. Ninjas are kind of cool, but in all honesty their damage is noticeably less than a Knight's or a Master's damage. Thieves are basically a hindrance the entire game, and I don't think it's really worth the effort to get a Ninja. They can use magic as a bonus, but a Black Wizard is far better for that as theundeadhero has already pointed out.

A Master is by far the superior of the two, however I voted for "neither", due to the fact that these characters are basically only for "having fun" and nothing more. For efficiency and practicality [not frugality], You're better off with one of the cookie-cutter classes, specifically a second Knight if you're talking about the slot that a Master or a Ninja would go in [as Raistlin pointed out].

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Darkbad View Post
    Is this an actual opinion? I thought the spelling of "ghey" died with 2008.

Neither. I'm all about the knights and casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Darkbad View Post
    Is this an actual opinion? I thought the spelling of "ghey" died with 2008.
    If you want to get technical, it actually died in September of 2007. Consult your Guide to Gay Spelling.

This is no opinion. Masters are lame, ninjas are cool. Fact.

Edit:

It seemz God has a much more disturbing sense of humor than I could have imagined. Two Thieves and a Bl.Belt? (I picked all the classes at random with my eyes closed)
    This should be interesting..
    Last edited by Hal Darkbad; 02-10-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

They're both cool, but I'd pick other characters over them for actual usefulness

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Neither. I'm all about the knights and casters.
    I generally am too, at least the first time around when playing games like this. During my second run-through, I end up trying other things for fun. Often times the most useful and practical ends up being the most boring and generic.

Okay, so I'm kind of loving this party now, and possibly regarding ninjas and masters in equal measure. But you need 2 ninjas to keep that master on his toes.
    It's pretty sweet actually, Ninja 1 casts fast on master, ninja 2 casts temper, master ponch faces, and a white mage, you always need a smurfin white mage.

i recommend.

And I'm feelin pretty special that I got their class upgrade at level 12, and beat warmech at level 25... since starting the game yesterday. yes.. i rock?

and there.. just beat it at leve 30... now im bored..
    Last edited by Hal Darkbad; 02-11-2010 at 06:36 PM.

I like both tbh, but I like the Ninja better, even playing on the NES version as I do. I run from a lot of the trash battles I don't care to fight in the caves/shrines, saving my spells and HP for bigger things, and the Thief/Ninja helps with that.

In a Knight/BWiz/WWiz setup, Ninja lets you get more use out of the nice weapons and armor you would probably sell otherwise, although the Master's additional inventory space for "on use" items is nice.

Black magic for a Ninja is hardly worth mentioning *except* for the fact that he can learn FAST, which can free your Black or Red Wizard up a round sooner on a few of the tougher fights (assuming you would be hasting your melee on those fights anyway).

In the NES version, Master is undoubtedly a vastly more powerful melee character turn-for-turn, but a Ninja can give you a bit more tactical diversity which can be enjoyable too.