Thread: The stat-gaining trick

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default The stat-gaining trick

By now most of you know about the stat-gaining glitch that comes with FFII, or trick if you prefer since it wasn't fixed in later additions. My question is: Do you actually use it? Do an of you really spend all that time inputting and canceling and doing it all over again to get stronger? I personally don't. I've played through a rom of the original, Origins, and Dawn of Souls versions of the game. In the remakes I found it pretty unnecessary. They were incredibly easy after my first experience in the game with the rom. The rom version, however, I used it like mad. Partly because it was my first playthough of the game and party because the game was mad hard. It's probably the hardest FF experience I've ever had.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hehe, when I was playing ff2 the first time, I would practice counting in french to keep track of how many times I had used a selection.

Blog Entries

How do you do the glitch on the origins version?
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I ended up using it in both my playthroughs, the first time cause when I got to the end I was curious to see what all the Magic spells looked like at level 16 since the Origin version gives them different animations. In my current playthrough, I'm using them to figure out the system better. I like breaking games in subsequent playthroughs.

I found the select/cancel trick a complete drag and I was very happy to see that your spells level up at a more realistic pace in the GBA version (which I own). The only problem I have with the original NES version is the need to cheat to actually survive, which I have never liked doing in an FF game (go on, throw a stick at me). So it's either cheating, grinding for hours (and not just 2 or 3), or playing the GBA version. Three guesses as to which choice I made

Does the trick still work in the Origins version? Because I have not played that one.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it still exists in the Origins version cause that's the one I'm basing FAQ off of.

Does it still take as long as it does in the NES version to level up spells without cheating, Wolf?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not sure as I never got a chance to play the original but I would assume so. Then again, the game has two difficulty modes so there is a chance the "Easy" mode makes things slightly less annoying but it also could just mean that enemies drop more gil and things are less expensive. I'm currently playing in Normal Mode which is suppose to be exactly like the NES title.

Blog Entries

Do you know what the max level it is for weapons and spells?
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

16 is the max level

This trick doesn't work in the 20th anniversary FFII (or whatever the PSP's and iPhone's port is called).
    I enjoyed this trick in the NES original