Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: a return to one of the great games of the series?

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default a return to one of the great games of the series?

So ff13 has linear maps, less ability to explore, shops consolidated into save points, difficult battles that require strategy, auto-healing after battles, coordinating various job abilities among characters, all held together with a compelling storyline? sounds like ff tactics to me. and that would be fantastic.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Those are interesting parallels. Obviously the gameplay is completely different, but hopefully those things work for FFXIII like they worked for Tactics.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Sounds like a prettified Xenosaga. (Take your pick for which episode, though.)

I'm just getting more excited about this near-release by the hour, me!
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree such a thing would be fantastic. I just don't have such lofty expectations for FFXIII's story (FFT's was mature and political) or gameplay (FFT's was engrossing and strategy-oriented).

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think there is a greater emphasis on tactical gameplay in FFXIII than in previous FF's of the main series, and that can only be a good thing.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's going to be fun and that's all a game really needs to be

I'd really like to show you some screenshots of my Final Fantasy XIII so you can see how it looks like (I know you've already seen screenshots but I think someone who can screenshot everything in Final Fantasy XIII could help you). Is there a special thread I can use for it?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think there is a greater emphasis on tactical gameplay in FFXIII than in previous FF's of the main series, and that can only be a good thing.
    FFXI is pretty darn tactical.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by cetra1 View Post
    I'd really like to show you some screenshots of my Final Fantasy XIII so you can see how it looks like (I know you've already seen screenshots but I think someone who can screenshot everything in Final Fantasy XIII could help you). Is there a special thread I can use for it?
    You could make your own if you like.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is FFT worth a playthrough? I liked the tactics advance games but not that much.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by demondude55 View Post
    Is FFT worth a playthrough? I liked the tactics advance games but not that much.
    FFT is a very good game

I don't want FFXIII to be like FFT aka Tactics Ogre: FF (half the story that is blatantly ripped off the Bible, gameplay blatantly ripped off another game) or any other FF game for that matter, either in style or substance. FFXIII can do so much better than Tactics Ogre: FF.

It needs to stand out on its own to a degree, and from what we've seen and heard, it does for the most part.
    Last edited by Jecht Shot; 02-12-2010 at 11:55 PM.
    "You may say that though Zanarkand is gone from this world, it lives on in the song."

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by demondude55 View Post
    FFT is the best game I have ever played.

As for the comparison of elements to FFT, it would probably be valid assuming that SE did deliver on all of these elements they are promising for the game. I don't really have a whole lot of hope for gaming PR promises from any company, so I have to play it before I can say something like that is justified.

One big difference is FFT was gameplay & story first, graphics last. FFXIII is focused on making a 'cinematic experience', which to me is a euphemism for graphics first, everything else after that.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jecht Shot View Post
    I don't want FFXIII to be like FFT aka Tactics Ogre: FF (half the story that is blatantly ripped off the Bible, gameplay blatantly ripped off another game) or any other FF game for that matter, either in style or substance. FFXIII can do so much better than Tactics Ogre: FF.
    You mean two games created by the same person have similar gameplay? And the story shares some common themes with famous literary works which basically anything can be traced back to? Color me shocked.

"Similar" gameplay and "common themes" is putting it lightly. Very lightly.

That's a little more than just "similar" to me. I mean, its fine if you want to slap the FF name on it. Personally, I don't want Steve Gilmour joining SE, taking Knights of the Old Republic, slapping the FF on it, and calling it Final Fantasy XV, no matter how good KOTR was.

I have no problem with "common themes". But he took some of the exact same elements from the Bible, and basically just changed the names. In a few cases, Matsuno was too lazy to do even that (ie Pharist and Pharisee). This wasn't just "common themes". It was pretty blatant.

He makes George Lucas look original. At least Lucas had enough common sense to cannibalize some of his stuff beyond recognition to the untrained eye. A dopy kid who has been to Sunday school a couple of times could see that Matsuno is a hack (outside of Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story; now there is a Matsuno game worthy of "lofty" admiration.)
    Last edited by Jecht Shot; 02-13-2010 at 03:25 AM.
    "You may say that though Zanarkand is gone from this world, it lives on in the song."