View Poll Results: Should this PS3 exclusive go Multi-platform?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Lets see this make its way over to 360!

16 37.21%
  • NO! we want this to stay as a PS3 Exclusive!

27 62.79%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Multiplatform?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah theres literally no info on this game and everyones already saying it will be amazing. We havnt even seen any gameplay!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I would agree with you if I had any faith in SE being able to use the hardware for more than cosmetic design or to implement changes that have been addressed recently by other and even older titles (Load times, random encounters, Bitching afros) but with the lack of information on the title and no real idea what to expect for vXIII, I must look at what SE has accomplished with FFXIII and I feel all a PS3 exclusiveness would have given the title was more graphical polish and not an any actual step towards really bringing in new ways to experience the game and redefine the idea of what a JRPG is. Because of this, I can't say I really care to see the game stay exclusive cause I'm bored of SE's ad campaign of secrecy and thus have lost interest in the title altogether.

In a nutshell: I'm indifferent to vXIII cause there is seriously nothing to be excited about. I also have little faith in SE pulling off a AAA console title on a next gen system that is befitting of the reputation the series enjoyed 15 years ago. I'm actually more excited for Agito of all things which is sadly been left in the dust by gaming journalists.
    I actually agree that it's uncertain whether or not Square can pull off today what they've essentially been doing since the NES days. Especially after looking at FFXIII.

But I would rather have the possibility of them pulling it off than no chance at all.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

To the people saying "The PS3 is better, therefore it isn't brand loyalty that I do not want it released for the 360."

Okay, alright. I think you're massively overstating the relative power of the consoles, but to avoid someone listing a million technical specs that nobody wants to read anyway, let's just assume you're not and there is a huge gap between the PS3 and the 360.

What if they release it for the PS3 as normal, pushing it to the limits, and then after that, they work on a (presumably inferior) port for the 360? Is that cool by you?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel the problem is that even though SE can potentially pull it off cause I feel they have been doing a great job on their handheld markets with a few exceptions, I just haven't seen them do it right with a console system this generation. Granted a good number of their console titles have been developed by third party Tri-Ace but then we get Last Remnant that disappointed and XIII, which though it may actually be a good game, has a reductionist design that feels more like a last gen game than a next gen title (this is where I do agree with Wada).

XIII was in development for so long I was hoping to see something grander like I got out of the overly ambitious XII but instead its looking to be FFX clone with better graphics and what looks to be an excellent battle system but at the cost of stripping away a good chunk of the gameplay elements from the genre. You would think they would have more to show. XIV is looking to be a more ambitious title and while theoretically the elements Nomura wants vXIII to have does make it an ambitious project, we have yet to see these ideas in action so we can't say for sure. XIII was suppose to blow the genre away back when knew very little but looking at the complete product, it's changes seem more shallow in my eyes, despite this, I still am looking forward to playing it.

I actually just feel that SE's business model may prevent the company from making games like they use to for console. I feel their biggest issue is trying to appeal to fans too much, and not realizing that fans are fickle and never happy. They are better off just making the games they want to make and let the masses judge them on their own merits.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psy
    Okay, alright. I think you're massively overstating the relative power of the consoles, but to avoid someone listing a million technical specs that nobody wants to read anyway, let's just assume you're not and there is a huge gap between the PS3 and the 360.
    It's not just "BETTER GRAPHICS WTF"; it's situations/scenarios you can pull off and put on the screen with the cell, it's the way you can group game segments on Blu Ray, and even combine them with videos (like in MGS4) that explore the potential of the medium itself.

What if they release it for the PS3 as normal, pushing it to the limits, and then after that, they work on a (presumably inferior) port for the 360? Is that cool by you?
    I think I speak for everyone when I say we all want as many fans to be able to play it in the most cost-amenable way possible.

But there's a reason MGS4 has never been ported to the XBox 360, even though it makes perfect sense to. Kojima has said it himself countless times because nearly every American interviewer thought they could push him over the edge and be responsible for it being ported to the 360 if they annoyed him enough.

It wouldn't be the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    But there's a reason MGS4 has never been ported to the XBox 360, even though it makes perfect sense to. Kojima has said it himself countless times because nearly every American interviewer thought they could push him over the edge and be responsible for it being ported to the 360 if they annoyed him enough.

I highly doubt this up and down, all the way towards reading analysis of the specs of the actual game and the resources it uses. The supposed reductions to make FF XIII 360-friendly aren't even that big of a deal from what I understand from more impartial sources, so I seriously doubt MGS4 is the same case [it's a much older game]. I'm also sick of seeing MGS4 as the only game ever referenced for this kind of argument. Based on its graphics and gameplay, I don't really see it being anything beyond the 360's capabilities. By the way, I'm not trying to fanboy-defend the 360 or whatever, I'm just being realistic. It's silly to no end how people over-dramatize stuff like this a lot. Although the gap between the PS3's cell technology potential and the 360's potential is indeed very real, it's really not very wide at all, and few games have even come close to making actual full use of what the cell is truly capable of [which by the way, is quite nice despite the fact that it's unnervingly tricky to program for, but I digress].

I'm only looking at FF XIII here since that's the only game which has made this an actual issue [that I've noticed], but it's due to the idiotic morons at Microsoft that opted not to have any sort of blue-ray compatibility. Those dingbat pineapple-brains will now take on the heat and mockery from fans, as I'm sure the entire FF XIII ordeal has embarrassed those hot-shots or whatever at Microsoft. Hopefully, they'll keep such things in mind for when they design their next console [the Xbox 720?]. Still, I think the gap between these two consoles is clearly being vastly over-exaggerated here. Let's not kid ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I don't think this will happen because it costs too much money from what I understand. As it is, they'd have to practically redo most of the programming for a game just so it'll work properly on the 360, but to do what you suggest might go as far as to need a reprogramming of the game almost entirely. It's far more cost-effective to just do a simple port. It's for this reason that while the PS3 and 360 are the main focus until the new consoles are developed, it's much better if they plan on going multi-platform in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Don't really care, but I don't want to wait forever because they want to do the 360 version before releasing the PS3 version
    This.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post
    I highly doubt this up and down, all the way towards reading analysis of the specs of the actual game and the resources it uses. The supposed reductions to make FF XIII 360-friendly aren't even that big of a deal from what I understand from more impartial sources, so I seriously doubt MGS4 is the same case [it's a much older game]. I'm also sick of seeing MGS4 as the only game ever referenced for this kind of argument. Based on its graphics and gameplay, I don't really see it being anything beyond the 360's capabilities. By the way, I'm not trying to fanboy-defend the 360 or whatever, I'm just being realistic. It's silly to no end how people over-dramatize stuff like this a lot. Although the gap between the PS3's cell technology potential and the 360's potential is indeed very real, it's really not very wide at all, and few games have even come close to making actual full use of what the cell is truly capable of [which by the way, is quite nice despite the fact that it's unnervingly tricky to program for, but I digress].
    In the midst of fan-speculation and meaningless spec-analysis, I think it's reasonable to defer to the developer of the game. In cases of Sony's first party studios like Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games saying it, we can chalk it up to company loyalty, despite Killzone 2 and the Uncharted games surpassing anything seen on the 360.

But in the case of Kojima, who's made games on the original XBox as well as producing current projects for the 360, I don't think he's an unreasonable source.

In any case, do you really think we'll ever see something like this:

out on the 360?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Sure. It's called Gears of War 2.

PS: What game is that? It looks badass.

I really dunno whether I'd want Versus XIII to go multiplatform or not. On the one hand, it would shut up PS3 owners who claim that the game is automatically superior to FFXIII just for the sole reason its exclusive. Then there are the cocky 360 owners who seem to think its already coming to the 360 without even an announcement. I personally find both sides equally annoying.

I also doubt Versus XIII going multiplatform would affect the PS3 version much. The Crystal Tools is a multiplatform engine. So even if they managed to create a game that it technically more impressive than FFXIII, it should be ported to the 360 with little effort.

I dunno why people are getting so worked up over this anyway. Versus XIII will just be Kingdom Hearts in a different skin. Just watch.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

PS: What game is that? It looks badass.
    Looks like Killzone or Killzone 2. According to Barry Manilow this is very distinctly not the Halo killer it was hyped as. Or even anything more than average.

In the midst of fan-speculation and meaningless spec-analysis, I think it's reasonable to defer to the developer of the game.
    I think it's more reasonable to defer to personal fan research and deductive reasoning. It wouldn't be the first time a developer fibbed or exaggerated about something like this.

Psychotic Kinda beat me to the punch with his response though.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Looks like Killzone or Killzone 2. According to Barry Manilow this is very distinctly not the Halo killer it was hyped as. Or even anything more than average.
    It really was not. Not in the slightest. It certainly wasn't BAD or anything [it was good actually], but hardly lived up to the hype as you said. I didn't play it much, but I will admit it was kinda fun. I think people need to stop worrying about trying to out-do other games/consoles etc. and just enjoy the game for what it is. JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I also doubt Versus XIII going multiplatform would affect the PS3 version much. The Crystal Tools is a multiplatform engine. So even if they managed to create a game that it technically more impressive than FFXIII, it should be ported to the 360 with little effort.
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I dunno why people are getting so worked up over this anyway. Versus XIII will just be Kingdom Hearts in a different skin. Just watch.
    No objections here! It sounds fun. However, I hope it offers some challenge unlike Kingdom Hearts 2.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Haha, very funny!

But no!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    According to Barry Manilow this is very distinctly not the Halo killer it was hyped as. Or even anything more than average.
    I see Barry Manilow has very informed and qualified opinions backed up by sufficient personal experience.

On community features, each game has advantages, with Halo probably having a large edge. Other than that, it's better than Halo in every quantifiable way. It even had a lot of the things that Bungie had been promising (and not delivering) since Halo 2, and even pre-empted things that are going into Halo: Reach.

But that's just my opinion based on spending considerable time with both games' multiplayer and playing through single player at least once.

BUT!!! This is not what this thread is about:

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin
    I think it's more reasonable to defer to personal fan research
    I'm sorry, but I think that statement undermines the point you're trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz
    Like Wolf, I have no expectations or delusions of SE pulling off spectacular things like they did back in the day. But I'd rather have them the option of doing it instead of nothing at all. Surprises make life wonderful
    Last edited by Bolivar; 02-17-2010 at 07:58 PM.

I'm sorry, but I think that statement undermines the point you're trying to make.
    How so? I've always found that learning from impartial and reliable information sources [or looking into it yourself if you're able] is a lot more reliable. Same goes with reviews/analysis etc.

Like Wolf, I have no expectations or delusions of SE pulling off spectacular things like they did back in the day. But I'd rather have them the option of doing it instead of nothing at all. Surprises make life wonderful
    Now you're being pessimistic. Instead of waiting for an "amazing" breakthrough game, why not just hope for a game that's going to be thoroughly enjoyable? I'm pretty sure it'll be at least that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post
    How so? I've always found that learning from impartial and reliable information sources [or looking into it yourself if you're able] is a lot more reliable. Same goes with reviews/analysis etc.
    I think anyone who takes the time to look into these things is rarely impartial, and hardly ever reliable. I remember people breaking down the actual data on the MGS4 disc, and it erupted into a technophillic schism over how much was compressed audio (a lot) and exactly how much the HD video files were.

I also don't think anyone's review has anything valuable to say to me about a game. I base my purchases off of gameplay videos, developer diaries, and my own experience with demos and betas.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin
    Now you're being pessimistic. Instead of waiting for an "amazing" breakthrough game, why not just hope for a game that's going to be thoroughly enjoyable?
    I already know it's probably going to be thoroughly enjoyable, even if it's going to the Game Boy Color.

I like Nomura's FF work.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm more than anything excited to hear more about and eventually play the game. I love the art style and tone of everything I've seen so far, especially the incorporation of Amano artwork on that painting that Noctis looks at. The OP asked a question and I've given my personal opinion, but like I said, I could care less if this game gets ported to the GameBoy Color (which would actually be kind of cool I still have my Kiwi Green one laying around).
    Last edited by Bolivar; 02-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.