Thread: M*A*S*H (TV Series)

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Default M*A*S*H (TV Series)

Quite possibly one of the best shows of all time and one of the few pre-1990 shows I enjoy watching.

Fun facts: Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen was the most viewed program of all time, and the ads aired during were more expensive than super bowl ads at the time. A couple of cities had problems with their water systems caused by everyone using the bathroom simultaneously during commercial breaks.

Topic: What do you think of M*A*S*H?

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I grew up watching M*A*S*H and have always loved it. I have seasons 1 and 3 on DVD, once I have 2 I wont be getting any more, as my favorite characters leave at the end of season 3. I love the days with Henry Blake and Trapper John, and once Frank leaves the show it all goes down hill from there... especially when Klinger stops cross dressing.

The later seasons saw Alan Alda gaining more creative control, and I feel the show became really preachy and obnoxious. There are some really good episodes later on, especially the two-parter of Radar going home, but over all it just isn't my cup of tea. Especially when Loretta Switt perms her hair. Ew.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix View Post
    The later seasons saw Alan Alda gaining more creative control, and I feel the show became really preachy and obnoxious.
    I second this. The Futurama episode that pokes fun at that aspect of the show is pretty funny.

M*A*S*H* the TV series is good, but the original film (which is very different admittedly) is brilliant.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Oh the movie was wonderful. Two different worlds with the same Radar!

I managed to find a copy of one of the M*A*S*H books, but it's from after they left Korea. It's a neat book, of course more like the film than the show.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Hahaha the only episode of 30 Rock I ever saw was the one Alda guest starred in. "A man crying over a chicken and a baby? I thought this was a comedy!"

The line was delivered kind of weird though. Like he didn't want to say it xD
    Last edited by Jessweeee♪; 02-16-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Oh man that thing with the chicken, I'd almost completely forgotten. "It was a baaaaby! A BABY! SHE KILLED THE BABY! NOT THE CHICKEN WHY GOD WHY!!?!?!??!"

The final episode is so great in so many ways... so of course Hawkeye has to have the most dramatic and ridiculous part in it.

Oh, by the way, I have a huge crush on Trapper John. I want to make tall babies with him.

My wife and I started out by watching the movie - because I always loved the song "Suicide is painless" and she ended up getting the entire television series. I was like wtf dude? Anyway I hated the first couple of episodes but then...well i just fell in love with it. I'm telling you, when Henry died I think I cried for like a week inside (time i just saw this around 2008). Then there was Trapper - aw man when he left I was sick like hell I missed him! Hot Lips Holihan and Frank Burns!!!!! I could go on forever people.

I loved M*A*S*H. When we saw the final episode, a part of me died knowing I wouldn't see those people anymore. =(

Blog Entries

My only experience with the show is its theme song.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    I'm telling you, when Henry died I think I cried for like a week inside (time i just saw this around 2008).
    I still weep pretty much every time. When Radar comes in and announces that his plane went down I burst into tears.

Which reminds me, has anyone else been watching the DVDs without the laugh track? I remember reading that it was aired without the laugh track from the get go in the UK. It's actually hard for me to watch it on tv now because I much prefer it without the laugh track.

Also, if you guys don't know this already... watch Radar's hands. I believe it's his left, the fingers on it are a bit malformed. The interesting thing about it is that he hides it in every shot; with a clip board, in his pocket, etc, but you can occasionally see just a bit of it peeking out. I always found it to be neat trivia,

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    My wife and I started out by watching the movie - because I always loved the song "Suicide is painless"
    i used that song for a poetry assignment. they never figured it out.... how do you miss that??? only downside was that mrs dowes kept a closer eye on me for a while..... i should of started whistling it after i turned the paper in.
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The cast didn't even know about Henry dying until just a few minutes before they shot the scene, so the acting is very realistic! I read on TV Tropes that the crew didn't know at all and they ruined the first take with their OMGNOOOOs xD

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix View Post
    Which reminds me, has anyone else been watching the DVDs without the laugh track? I remember reading that it was aired without the laugh track from the get go in the UK. It's actually hard for me to watch it on tv now because I much prefer it without the laugh track.
    At the time every comedy show had one ever, so whether they liked it or not, they sort of had to early on in the series

I hate laugh tracks.

Yeah I remember the laugh tracks, but didn't they come in after Henry died? Man I hated that!

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Nah the laugh tracks were a staple from the start. The only thing good about them was the contrast of the few episodes that deliberately didn't use them, like the episode that was spent entirely in surgery, I believe it was called O.R. Because of the dramatic nature of said episode no laugh track was used in it.